What would you like to see added to the board?

Posting Issues, Announcements and Membership Matters.

Azzerac
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Azzerac »

Zelos wrote:How about instead of the single big section for this, we could instead make a subsection in each of the discussion sections for the actual methodology/spells/what have you, which would be posted there?
Looks like you got your wish!
The layout looks good.
I should be posting some of my own Tried & True formulas soon, myself.
Azzerac,
Lodestone & Lady's Mantle
Premium Occult Supplies
Author of "Steal This Book of Shadows"

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Now we have a spell section, all we need now however is some posting on it. I however think discussion should be allowed on the forum, somone might ask for details, or want to request a spesific spell, the goal is spell sharing not to create an online spell book. At least in my opinion.
*Learn magic for it is the only truth of this reality, become magic and you will become the essence of that truth--Ars Magica
*Cats are magical, the more you pet them the longer you both live--Unknown
*The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper--Eden Phillpotts

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

Yeah, discussion of the spells posted is probably to be encouraged, it would help people develop a good understanding of the nature of the working, perhaps how it was created, allow folk to fill in the blanks, as it were.

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

Right, so I've just about finished a massive project at work that's been taking up most of my time, and soon I'll have a lot more time for developing the site further.

I really want to hear what you think would make the site better, everyone ^_^

So far people seem to be somewhat in favour of an articles section, but we've yet to find an ideal solution for content moderation. I suppose some kind of article moderation team would be in order. The access rights to moderate articles can be granted independant of forum access level, so people wouldn't need to be administrators to moderate the articles.

Or, I could program something else entirely :P

Speaking of which, some ideas came to mind: Perhaps something like a Tarot application? I know there are mixed feelings on this one in general, some people feel that a computer couldn't perform an accurate tarot reading, while others use online tarot on a regular basis. It shouldn't be too hard to write, I could probably do it in a weekend, and it could be a nice open-source exercise if we develop the software ourselves, with user-submitted images for the cards themselves.

A numerology calculator wouldn't be too difficult either, and the rules of numerology are fairly well set out, I haven't used numerology to any great extent myself, but what I've use it for could be done by a computer, much quicker than I could do it :P

Maybe some games? ^_^

Blogs perhaps?

News and weather?

Think outside the box.

This site runs on a highly customisable system, and I'm willing and eager to hear any ideas you have that might make this place even just a tiny bit better.

Also, I promise to make or buy better icons for threads this weekend :P

I have a selection of vector occult symbols I was planning to use for user icons (but then the forum component we were trying at the time broke under the weight of the data, and this one came with a large set of rather nifty smilies for default user pics) :D

Actually, on that note, we could probably do with some more smilies on the forum.

I could probably take a look at writing an easier-to-use profile page, which may be a good idea if we're adding more components to the site, as we could ensure cross-compatability, and have it look exactly how we want it to (layout suggestions for profile page will be listened to, by all means tell us what you think.)

Please share your ideas, and we'll see if we can make them happen. Any and all suggestions will be heard, and possibly even enacted ;) .

This is your site too, what do you want it to be?

Shaam
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shaam »

I think I like the topics in their categories like before....

It's confusing to have everything all listed down..by the newest post/topic. The forum is easier to read when there are categories, things are listed under.JMO
Life is an Adventure, there's something new around every corner.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

What about a immortality, transhumanism and life extension forum, there have already been several treads about this, and it is often a popular thing to discuss. Might be interesting to have such a section. I would also love it because while scientific life extension and transhumanism is something one find whole forums about, few forums even have a section for magickal means to live forever or at least longer, even if it is often discussed. Just do a search int he old OccultForums archive, there are many treads about this. Anyway just a wish from me.

Have a nice night folks. :)
*Learn magic for it is the only truth of this reality, become magic and you will become the essence of that truth--Ars Magica
*The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper--Eden Phillpotts

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, where would you put it though?

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I would say either under faith and philosophy or under general. :) Faith and philosophy preferably in my opinion.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Anyone else have a good idea of where to put a Life Extension and Immortality forum? If the mods are still considering this that is off course. :)

VVV
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VVV »

"Laiad Holq Ta Napea...

What about a Gematria calculator?

VVV (210/3)
...Ds Praf Piap"

VVV
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VVV »

"Laiad Holq Ta Napea...

Is there a PM notification function? If not I would really like that.

VVV (210/3)
...Ds Praf Piap"

Mist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mist »

VVV wrote:Is there a PM notification function? If not I would really like that.
You can see you've got a PM when the grey circle next to "Message Center", flashes green and red like with a new forum post.
Don't try to reason with your heart
or feel with your mind.
For just as the heart knows no logic,
the mind can't lead you to your soul.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I think he means getting a email that says hey get your ass over to OccultForum, you have a PM.

VVV
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VVV »

"Laiad Holq Ta Napea...

Yes V, I meant email alerts.

I was also thinking a WYSIWYG editor for posts would be super-phantorgasmic!

VVV (210/3)
...Ds Praf Piap"

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I hate to be seen as nagging. But I just want to bring up a life extension forum again. The mods seamed to be positive to it but there have been no more talk about it. I just wanted to remind you in case you forgot. I do not mean to nag. :)

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I just have to nag again, have our dear mods made a choice as to whatever we can have a life extension forum on this site as it is a topic which often come up. And perhaps by having such a section, which most occult forums I know of do not, perhaps we can attract some members who's main focus is life extension or transhumanism.

Also I have another suggestion, a paranormal in fiction section. Many of us like to read fantasy books and see movies about magick and the supernatural, some of us who is Chaotes and a few others even use this fiction in our occult work. I think such a paranormal fiction forum would be a nice addition to the site.

kiren
Admin
Admin

Post by kiren »

Venefica wrote:I just have to nag again, have our dear mods made a choice as to whatever we can have a life extension forum on this site as it is a topic which often come up. And perhaps by having such a section, which most occult forums I know of do not, perhaps we can attract some members who's main focus is life extension or transhumanism.

Also I have another suggestion, a paranormal in fiction section. Many of us like to read fantasy books and see movies about magick and the supernatural, some of us who is Chaotes and a few others even use this fiction in our occult work. I think such a paranormal fiction forum would be a nice addition to the site.
Done and Done, thank you all for what you do for our community. Keep the ideas coming and we'll keep implementing them.
Its a hard job creating this kind of community, and most of our work as mods is done out back in the shadows tinkering with things trying to fix problems as they arise and keep our forum free of trolls. Luckily when it comes to tinkering, we got a master as a leader.( 3 CHEERS for vashta) But at the end of the day, the hard part is something you all do everyday, filling the boards with fresh ideas. Together we can turn this ember we have been nurturing into a fire, then we shall feast on the fruits of our labor. So again thank you to all of you who are helping us build our city upon the ruins.

-Kiren

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Thank you soon much. It is appreciated. :D Oh and let me thank you mods generally to for all the hard work you do for this forum. It is easy to come up with ideas for us members when you do all the hard work. It is appreciated guys. Thanks. :D

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

One question. I went to post at the new forums you so kindly made. However in the other forums there are far up on the page two buttons named new topic and new poll which one use to post with. I can not find these in the new forums. Are they open for posting? And if so how do I make a post to them?

kiren
Admin
Admin

Post by kiren »

My bad, forgot to set some member permissions...
you should be all set now.
Happy posting.
-Kiren

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Wonderful. Then I will get posting. :D

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

Thank you, Kiren, sorry I managed to forget that over christmas.

A gemetria calculator sounds good, I'm not familiar with them though, can you provide some info on how they work? If you can specify it, I can give writing it a bash.

As for email alerts, I believe there is actually a way to switch it on, I'll take a look when I get home from work tonight, I'll need to test it to make sure it's behaving as expected, but fairly certain the option is there..

Edit: Ok, it's definately in there :P I just found the formatting options for the email it sends you, I have a feeling there might be an option somewhere on your profile, but i'm still looking..

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

Hello, I have checked with the software developers who wrote the forum, they told me the forum already automatically sends an email when you get a PM. I've tested this and it seems to be working, I'll send you a PM to make sure.

As for the WYSIWYG editor, they work by javascript manipulating the contents of an html area; in order to make a wysiwyg BBCode editor, it would have to translate the HTML into BBCode before it submits to the server, otherwise the message is displayed with . Either that or the forum would have to translate HTML into BBCode after it's submitted, which entails goring out the forum system, which can get messy :P Writing a new editor would be easier than writing a new post-processor, I think.

I don't think there's an editor that fits the bill, but if you know of a bolt-on, or a forum that has a WYSIWYG editor, I could look into bolting it on. A javascript editor that converts the HTML into BBCode before submitting would be best I think, the translation would be reasonably straightforward, as the editor buttons are limited to the BBCode supported by the forum, although actually performing them entails the use of regular expressions, which I'm not great with, but the HTML would conform to fairly strict standards in an editor, so they wouldn't be terribly complex... Of course, it would need to convert them back from BBCode to HTML to display if someone were to edit a post, for example.

Might be a tricky job, that one :F Would entail a lot of research and a fair bit of development, or a little bit of luck

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

One thing. I often find myself clicking the OccultForum logo on the top of the site to get back to the forum view, as so many forums have their logo as a link to the forum index. Perhaps it would be practical to put such a link into the logo on the top of the site. I like clicking logos. :P

Pyarun
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Pyarun »

Support for changing themes would be nice if it isnt too much to ask for, and having some darker themes available. This theme is very nice but all the light can get a bit hard on the eyes after reading the forums for a longer period of time.

Return to “Site Discussion”