Why don't forum members want to teach?

Posting Issues, Announcements and Membership Matters.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Why don't forum members want to teach?

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Hello all,

This question has come up in The big web of Occult practise as to why forum members don't want to teach students in an on-line school of magick. Could you please advise why you do not wish to be a teacher so that we can answer the question in full. I myself would be happy to be administrator in an online school of magick, but simply don't have the time to teach. What about everyone else?

Thanks for your time. [thumbup]

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Why don't forum members want to teach?

Post by manonthepath »

I can think of no reason to devote the time and effort. Besides, what I have learned has taken me decades and an incredible amount of effort, travel and expense. It is said that which is obtained at little cost is not appreciated. Another reason is that sometimes when I decide to share I have been met with juvenality and rudeness. These are my reasons, which I have stated elsewhere. I feel they are good reasons. One more good reason is Karma. If I enable an uncultivated soul to be empowered, am I not culpable for the suffering they inflict?

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

As a chaos magician, I try to teach whoever is interested. On the other hand, full-time teaching is a commitment that I can't afford to do for free right now. Guest Lecturer is much more appealing.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

ultimafool
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ultimafool »

Forgive me if I missed this in one of the other threads... What would constitute the duties of a teacher? I am very interested and have plenty of time at the moment, I would just like some more details on how classes are going to be structured/how are they supposed to work.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Although I teach IRL, I don't feel like I've been here long enough to assert myself as a teacher in this community. Plus there are issues others have also raised. First, I know from experience the considerable time and effort that goes into designing curricula, executing lessons, and being available for students, and I can't see an upside to doing all that for free online. Second, there's the ethical issue of making occult information public that could be used irresponsibly or harmfully in the wrong hands. And third, I didn't learn my practices from strangers on the internet but from teachers and gurus who I personally trusted, and I think that is a safer way to learn in general.

Overall I'd be more comfortable creating informal tutorials for people to use as they wish in study groups, rather than taking on the role of "teacher" with all the ethics, responsibilities and politics that entails.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Return to “Site Discussion”