The changing face of Occult Forum.org

Posting Issues, Announcements and Membership Matters.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The changing face of Occult Forum.org

Post by RoseRed »

Just wondering what the official stance on necroposting is or will be?

Would you guys prefer (especially with newer members who are excited to have found OF and spend the time to read through the older threads) to continue a years old convo or start a new one?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

RoseRed wrote:Just wondering what the official stance on necroposting is or will be?

Would you guys prefer (especially with newer members who are excited to have found OF and spend the time to read through the older threads) to continue a years old convo or start a new one?
Reviving an old thread is only frowned upon if the thread in question has nothing much to offer in the first place, unless the new post contributes something in some way. It will be looked at on an individual basis.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Good to know - thanx.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

anton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by anton »

[cry2] No wiki? Not even as a read-only archive?

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

anton wrote:[cry2] No wiki? Not even as a read-only archive?
No wiki. We don't have dedicated contributors to build it. There are other far more established wiki on the occult across the internet. We're going to focus on what we primarily are - a forum.

anton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by anton »

If there was any content worth salvaging from the wiki, I'd be interesting in getting a copy of the latest backup to see if there is anything worth adding to the KIAwiki. I'll be doing the same for sourceryforge soon.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

No promises you'll actually get anything, but I'll leave a note for the other staff in case they have a backup of the wiki somewhere.

anton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by anton »

Some of you might already be using the 'Stylish' plugin for Firefox, or the 'Stylish' extension for Chrome/Chromium. Others of you might want to install it.

It basically allows anyone to create custom themes for any website, and share them with other 'Stylish' users. Anyone with CSS knowledge can create a custom skin. I've created a 'Black' theme for Occult Forum, so there is already one theme available to use on this site. I released it on a CC-BY-SA license so others can easily mod it for other colours and effects. Hope some of you like it...

Its also really easy to toggle the default style of the website.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

anton wrote:Some of you might already be using the 'Stylish' plugin for Firefox, or the 'Stylish' extension for Chrome/Chromium. Others of you might want to install it.

It basically allows anyone to create custom themes for any website, and share them with other 'Stylish' users. Anyone with CSS knowledge can create a custom skin. I've created a 'Black' theme for Occult Forum, so there is already one theme available to use on this site. I released it on a CC-BY-SA license so others can easily mod it for other colours and effects. Hope some of you like it...

Sorry anton, the tiny amount of wiki material wasn't backed up and there's nothing to salvage.

I'll look into the Stylish plugin's theme, thank you very much for the contribution!

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

anton wrote:Some of you might already be using the 'Stylish' plugin for Firefox, or the 'Stylish' extension for Chrome/Chromium. Others of you might want to install it.

Anton, how do we access your themes? Do you just use the admin bridge and download them?

anton
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by anton »

I wouldn't use it yet. Basically you need the 'Stylish' browser plugin for Firefox or Chrome. (Its called an 'extension' on Chrome, rather than a plugin, but I'll assume most people know how to use their browsers). Its not a complete theme, just an alternative CSS style sheet. It can change the appearance and layout, but has no control of markup. Once you have the plugin, you visit this site, click the 'S' icon top right, search for the alt theme, and currently the only one available is the one I shared.

However, I understand the main theme will change soon, so I've stopped work on the alt-theme for now, because any changes to the markup, particularly element id and class attributes, will brake the CSS in the alt theme. The theme I've shared is currently incomplete. I'll finish it once the main site theme is finalised and stable.

Vovi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vovi »

It would be cool to have an indicator next to our name or avatar to show if we are on or off line. The typical red/green light would work, but something occult looking would be even cooler.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

New topic:
Would there be any way (or a reason) to add a function that automatically closes thread after a certain time of inactivity, or if the OP decides to do so?
It would keep necroposting down, and if a subject author feels their questions are fully answered, they could close the topic off and end the discussion, rather than most of them trailing off into nothingness.
A good way of allowing threads to be reopened, is to have a system to allow comments on threads that are closed to be sent to an Admin for approval in reopening the thread. If an Admin feels it's worthy, they can reopen the thread for a short time, or simply refer the additional post to the OP or the intended recipient of the subject matter.
It's just an idea, and I'm not sure of how well this would be possible with this particular forum, so I'm just throwing it out here.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

Haelos wrote:New topic:
Would there be any way (or a reason) to add a function that automatically closes thread after a certain time of inactivity, or if the OP decides to do so?
It would keep necroposting down, and if a subject author feels their questions are fully answered, they could close the topic off and end the discussion, rather than most of them trailing off into nothingness.
A good way of allowing threads to be reopened, is to have a system to allow comments on threads that are closed to be sent to an Admin for approval in reopening the thread. If an Admin feels it's worthy, they can reopen the thread for a short time, or simply refer the additional post to the OP or the intended recipient of the subject matter.
It's just an idea, and I'm not sure of how well this would be possible with this particular forum, so I'm just throwing it out here.
It can be done, but involves a huge amount of coding and isn't really necessary. We go through most necroposts either way, more often than not the new post adds to the discussion at hand. Locking threads isn't something we want to do much in all honesty.

Return to “Site Discussion”