Symbols & the Inspiring of Altered States

Olympus tripudio in aequora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Symbols & the Inspiring of Altered States

Post by Olympus tripudio in aequora »

If this subject is incongruous where I have placed it, those in charge may freely move it elsewhere.
I am eager to know what symbols are most apt for my purposes at different times. Is it permissible to take from a few different systems a symbol of your fancy for meditation? I am at this time primarily interested in finding a symbol upon which to meditate that I might inspire a different but transitory state of mind. I wish to experience the imagination all the stronger, and observe animating images pass before the mind's eye, and I believe this will also be greatly beneficial for my writing. I am hoping those with a greater knowledge of symbols could offer some words upon what I may be seeking, and perhaps some of their experiences.
I have been pondering some alchemical symbols, the yantra, and other forms of mandala, and the tarot hitherto. Also, I have much experience with astrological symbols, and have read of late that geometrical symbols too can stir the mind's eye greatly. I have a deep longing to attune more to this side of nature, and I believe such a phenomenon would better sway my thought in its direction. Doubtless it would establish a greater certainty, and assist me immeasurably on my path to develop an acquaintance with symbols and their uses. If this is your expertise or experience, I would like to know more of them.

Thanks,

OTA.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Symbols & the Inspiring of Altered States

Post by Nahemah »

Is it permissible to take from a few different systems a symbol of your fancy for meditation? I am at this time primarily interested in finding a symbol upon which to meditate that I might inspire a different but transitory state of mind.
Yes,yes it is.Think of all the great Art in the World,so many different styles and perspectives,but all tell a visually and viscerally inscribed story,if you look into them with your mind's eye.

I was about to recommend Mandalas then I read you know of them already.

I really enjoy stuff like this:

http://youtu.be/ONZX9GeeygY

[I watch the full screen size.]

I often trance using visual symbols and colours etc,I'll come back in a while with some examples of my favourite imagery for you.

This thread is fine in here. [thumbup]

Wonderful question,by the way.I am looking forward to members input. [grin]

PS. I have a link somewhere about 'Huna soft eyes' ,a method of focus which is highly condicuve for altered states and work like this.I 'll dig it out for you.It might be useful.

Forum Member
Forum Member

Nahemah wrote:
Is it permissible to take from a few different systems a symbol of your fancy for meditation? I am at this time primarily interested in finding a symbol upon which to meditate that I might inspire a different but transitory state of mind.
Yes,yes it is.Think of all the great Art in the World,so many different styles and perspectives,but all tell a visually and viscerally inscribed story,if you look into them with your mind's eye.

I was about to recommend Mandalas then I read you know of them already.

I really enjoy stuff like this:

http://youtu.be/ONZX9GeeygY

[I watch the full screen size.]

I often trance using visual symbols and colours etc,I'll come back in a while with some examples of my favourite imagery for you.

This thread is fine in here. [thumbup]

Wonderful question,by the way.I am looking forward to members input. [grin]

PS. I have a link somewhere about 'Huna soft eyes' ,a method of focus which is highly condicuve for altered states and work like this.I 'll dig it out for you.It might be useful.

I did not expect such a courteous response, so brimful of friendliness. I am a bit maudlin at the moment, having splashed out some wine earlier, but I would like foremost to thank you for your kind and helpful response. I shall look forward to your further posts, and am doubtless that they will be to my soul's pleasure.

OTA.

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

This is my own experience with sigils. To me, a sigil tries to incorporate everything that a person had experienced in some deep mental state.
The sigil contains the mental, and emotional landmarks to find one's way back to that state.

Forum Member
Forum Member

Why will this machine not allow me to alter my posts?

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

It has a post-editing grace period, which I could extend a bit further, but basically it prevents scenarios where someone posts something, someone replies, then the OP edits their post so the reply is no longer valid. We've had trolls do that before, but that was a long time ago...

I can extend the grace period to something a bit more sensible, but I'm reluctant to extend it beyond a couple of hours, that's open to debate, but preferably on the site discussion board ;)

Forum Member
Forum Member

I see. I am not a troll, but I am fond of returning to old posts and refining them in the light of later insights. Or, if they have no response, I find it only right to expunge them completely.

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

Vashta wrote:It has a post-editing grace period, which I could extend a bit further, but basically it prevents scenarios where someone posts something, someone replies, then the OP edits their post so the reply is no longer valid. We've had trolls do that before, but that was a long time ago...

I can extend the grace period to something a bit more sensible, but I'm reluctant to extend it beyond a couple of hours, that's open to debate, but preferably on the site discussion board ;)
Probably could have it setup so after X number of posts people are moved into a new category of member with more permissions. That way you have the new people, playing by stricter rules (to protect from those demanding money at a bridge), then long time members who have shown they are good have less restrictive rules.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I see. I am not a troll, but I am fond of returning to old posts and refining them in the light of later insights. Or, if they have no response, I find it only right to expunge them completely.

Do you stil require input in the thread?

I have some more information for you,but it seems pointless to post it if it's no longer relevant.

Forum Member
Forum Member

You may post as you will, and that would be very helpful. I am still very much interested in symbols and their uses.

Thanks.

66dragonfly66
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 66dragonfly66 »

bija mantras and seed syllables are used for what you are looking for. I think that all alphabets are like this though, its just our willed intent. There are alot of different ways to alter our states and states to be altered into. If we want to tap into the current of energy in a symbol or its collective history, then mere focus upon the symbol will work. Then again, we can pick any symbol as a visual cue for what we want to do with it and choose the state or the mental/emotional trigger it represents to us. I guess then, what you like will be what works best.

I meditate upon the runes, but I prefer altering my state manually instead of using something else to do it because that drags my mind around to other places, and I use the symbols for specific purposes while in an altered state.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by akimbomoss »

Olympus tripudio in aequora wrote: I wish to experience the imagination all the stronger
I suggest the Whore of Babylon Sigil in The Book of Lies. Watch out though... she's a doozie!

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Basically, any symbol solicits a response in people based on factors such as whether it has meaning behind it and if its either pleasing or jarring to the eye. Some images, such as the Coke logo, can be used effectively as sigils because they invoke a certain meaning immediately when viewed. Other symbols, such as mandalas, involve complex patterns whose sole purpose is to be utterly destroyed upon completion. Meditation upon common symbols such as those found in materialism is equally as valid as meditation on nonsense symbols - anything which causes a response can be used, it doesnt have to be mystical to be magical, it can just as equally be mundane and give the same effect.

LandOfShadows
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LandOfShadows »

Hi All,

I myself have used my system to focus on energies that bring various traits, some would reffer to these energies as Angels/Deamons, however they to me are energies known as the XOYLO.

LoS
Steve

LandOfShadows
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LandOfShadows »

Hi,

So how to go about placing these traits to your higher position of gaurdian or as I would call higher XOY, or calling to one of the lesser gates/chakra's or what I would call orbits.

You start out with a Daily meditation:

Basic Ritual Hand motions to help draw from symbols energy and path working.

A Playlist:-
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... A52295E6D5

And then move onto the Higher more ritual based practice as per the below.

There is more to this method than the the above, however if you are occult aware and using ritual based work I am sure you will be able to plug any gaps, any questions though please feel free to ask.

LoS
Steve

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Mate, I hope there wasn't a copyright on that book you just posted, page by page. [wink]

LandOfShadows
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LandOfShadows »

Case,

The book, I wrote and published.

Its ok I wont be taking my self to court any time soon [thumbup]

LoS
Steve

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

Lol. Won't be taking yourself to court...

Return to “Divination and Mantic Arts”