Tarot divination - aces vs. princes

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Tarot divination - aces vs. princes

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

In a lot of the tarot you can see where there's analogies between cards and while there aren't a lot of places where you have raw redundancies you see where there are things that seem to have particular relationships that look quite close. For instance when you look at the 2 of Pentacles (Rider Waite) there's a lot of analogy between this and some of the other balancing cards in the major arcanum. Similarly a lot of the 2 of cups meanings seem to wash with The Lovers - particularly the balanced vs. imbalanced relationship aspect whether social or conscious vs. subconscious.

One of the rhymes that seems like it can get a bit confusing is the ace of a suite vs. the prince or princess.

The prince or princess represents Assiah in the planes of manifestation and the element of Earth.
The ace represents the Kether of that particular tree and thus the source energy.

Both aces and princes/princesses are tagged as 'beginning of' cards.

Considering that most of the cards from Rider Waite forward are clement to Qabalistic interpretation their seeming origin from polar opposites seems to put a qualitative spin on things.

If I were to just speculate in the raw:
Aces - raw motivation for a new endeavor, something that your inner self, higher self, is opening the door on, something that generates from the inner planes and comes to the mental, than emotional, then starts grounding.

Princes - something that comes more in the way of a physical/pragmatic reaction - such as prince of pentacles might be starting a new job, prince of cups a new artistic endeavor based on something that inspired you in the physical, prince of swords - you went to a seminar of some kind that made you want to research more on a subject independently, etc.

Any other ideas or suggestions on what I just suggested above? Also what would you interpret, say, if you had a Celtic cross and in the 6) and 10) slots (similar meaning) you had the two juxtaposed (ie. one inverse the other obverse)?
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Tarot divination - aces vs. princes

Post by magari »

This is how I interpret it...

The minor arcana deals with the evolution of very particular energies as they move from the ether towards maturity.

cups - water
swords - air
wands - fire
pentacle - earth

...obviously.

The face cards represent people. Either yourself, or someone else. They can demonstrate a mature ability to work with an energy or an immature one; categorized by gender.

Prince and Page represents the immature perspectives on the energy, while the King and Queen represent mature perspectives.

Either from a male perspective, or a female one.

Take Pentacles for example;

The Prince might spend all his money on cars and guns leaving himself with little resources for the future, an immature move that leaves him suffering in the end.

The Page might do the same, but instead of cars and guns, it might be shoes and makeup.

The King, with a more mature perspective, doesn't put himself in as many financially risky situations, or takes much more calculated risks, spending his money on a house, or investing it where its needed most.

The Queen does the same, but might lean towards spending more money on the families health or the future of her children.

Very basic examples, but I hope you get the point.

-------

The Ace represents the birth of a particular energy from the ether, a new beginning in the universe outside of self.

Ace of pentacles could warn you to keep your eyes peeled for new resources, money, or otherwise that are about to come into your life, or already have and are waiting on you and time to help it take shape.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

One apology - I blew the tread title; I meant to say pages/princesses vs. aces - said the wrong thing in the title and OP so it might not have made a lot of sense on first read because of that.
magari wrote: Take Pentacles for example;

The Prince might spend all his money on cars and guns leaving himself with little resources for the future, an immature move that leaves him suffering in the end.

The Page might do the same, but instead of cars and guns, it might be shoes and makeup.

The King, with a more mature perspective, doesn't put himself in as many financially risky situations, or takes much more calculated risks, spending his money on a house, or investing it where its needed most.

The Queen does the same, but might lean towards spending more money on the families health or the future of her children.

Very basic examples, but I hope you get the point.
I was actually thinking that the immaturity and irresponsibility would be inverse or ill-dignified whereas the obverse or dignified would just be 'new'. AFAIK as well the Kings are fire of _____, Queens water of _____ on down to the pages/princesses being earth of their suit which tends to flavor the read of the symbolic interpretations. I can't really comment on using the court cards to represent 'people in querents life' yet because I feel like that's a stage I'd want to add after I feel like I have a firm grasp on the symbolic aspect first.

I've been self-reading for a while and I tend to remember most of it but there's plenty of times where I'ma bit hazy on the specifics (at which point I usually go online or grab a book for more details). Aces and pages/princesses was one of those places where I saw an elemental dichotomy (ie. atziluth vs. assiah) and very similar meanings.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

I often read the court cards as reprentations of self since there are male and female aspects of that.

The goal is to be the king and queen in every element all the time.

Its a struggle lol, but balance can be maintained.

Return to “Divination and Mantic Arts”