First Deck?

Pike
Forum Member
Forum Member

First Deck?

Post by Pike »

I'm new to Tarot, I don't know how to read the cards, but the last week I've been thinking a lot about the Sola Busca and Hermetic Tarot decks.

I feel drawn to them.

It's my understanding that these decks are a bit weighty to say the least. Should I just order a Rider-Waite and forget about the other two decks?

[geek2]

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: First Deck?

Post by chowderpope »

I have rider waite smith, hermetic, and thoth tarot decks. Rider waite smith is my favorite for personal readings. The other two are pretty and nice for reference.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

I don't have much experience with decks, but I do own two, a Thoth deck and a Deviant Moon deck (which I just got as a gift from my mom's trip to New Orleans, they were blessed by a High Priestess, so excited to try it out).

Honestly, the best thing to do is to go to a store that has Tarot decks and pick the one that calls out to you or you feel drawn to. Most, if not all, come with a booklet that will let you know the card meanings, as well as give a few different spreads and how to read the cards in said spread.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

I didn't splash quite as much money around when I got started as a lot of people I've met did but my short advice:

Get yourself maybe two or three decks. Focus on one deck that you really feel, and as a second you may want to get something really rinsed and highly supported - like Rider Waite - and use the tutorials to learn the ropes as well as getting more of a feel as to how you relate to your favorite.

My biggest letdown with a lot of decks is that they just aren't built to be shuffled and so many have white scrapes or breaks on the edges or even on the front of the card itself even after one or two good shuffles. Anything reissued by US Games seems to hold up pretty well, the others - especially independent - are better off being used as meditation or collectors decks.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Pike
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Pike »

Thanks.

I ended up with a Waite Smith deck.

I will probably order the Hermetic deck once I learn how to read the cards.

Return to “Divination and Mantic Arts”