Meditation to replace sleep?

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Meditation to replace sleep?

Post by Haelos »

I already know you can't give up sleep without replacing it with something else.
I'm wondering if anyone knows any practical meditation and energy work techniques for temporarily or permanently replacing sleep.
Simple, clear-minded meditation doesn't cover it, and I only know a few legitimate qigong practices, none of which fit this need.
Any help or resources on the matter would be appreciated greatly.

I'll admit, I've been watching a bit of Stargate SG-1 lately, and Kelno-reem is a very intriguing process to me. I've come up with a few unique theories based around this excellent work of fiction. This is the first I'd like to act upon.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Meditation to replace sleep?

Post by Desecrated »

When I studied at a Buddhist temple retreat they woke up at 6 am in the morning for morning meditation. Which was usually 1 hour, then breakfast, a little bit of cleaning and back to the meditation again.

And this was done throughout the day. 15-30 minutes of activity, 1-2 hour of deep mediation. Midnight was the last 1 hour meditation before bed, so they only sleep for 5 hours a night. But they do meditate all through the night sometimes sleeping 5 hours every second day or so.
They don't eat that much, they don't drink that much, they don't move around that much, so they don't need 8 hours of sleep.
And their minds don't need 8 hours of sleep because they are already much more relaxed then us normal people living in the world. Obviously, no computers, no tv, none of that crap.

When your sleeping your body is still and your mind is active. The heartbeat drops about 10-15 beats a minute. Your breathing stays at around 12-20 times a minute ( much faster then people tend to do when meditating) and your body relaxes.

So that is the state you should try to get into. Lower your heart rate, breath normally, just let the mind do it's thing, don't try to push away your thoughts, just let them come, but don't pay any attention to them. Don't worry about posture or energy, If you want to hang your head do so.
There is a difference between active and passive meditation.

So if you want to remove 3 hours sleep, you replace them with 3 hours passive meditation. The rest of the day has to be active mental work of course, otherwise your just a zombie.

Return to “Healing and Holistic Medicines”