Astral Travel Method Recommendations

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Astral Travel Method Recommendations

Post by C505 »

I have tried Astral Travel in the past and became re-interested in it recently and was wondering if there were any recommendations on methods to project. I have tried the Monroe method and have read "Astral Travel" by Gavin and Yvonne Frost. Though I really disagree with some of the Frost's claims on achieving projection. Thanks for any input!

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Astral Travel Method Recommendations

Post by Shinichi »

Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce.

~:Shin:~

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Out of curiosity, in what context did you try the Monroe program and what was your experience with it? I've never tried it myself, but I've largely heard positive things about it.

Robert Bruce is widely recommended, although I'm not sure how many of the people who are doing the recommending have actually achieved controlled projection (not a shot at Shin, I know he knows his shit). Of course this is a problem with metaphysical literature in general, armchair practitioners will recommend things because they look or sound good, despite never having dived into them deeply enough to know whether they work.

That said, my impression is that Bruce is legit, and I know he offers individual training via. skype, which you might find useful. I've always found that contact with a teacher results in exponential progress compared to working out of second hand sources, even if those sources are put together by the same teacher. There's an individual dynamic that just can't be replicated with books and DVDs.

More generally, what is your foundation like? Are you physically healthy and emotionally balanced? Do you have an established training routine? Can you sense and work with energy? If not, I'd worry about those things before trying AP.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Out of curiosity, in what context did you try the Monroe program and what was your experience with it? I've never tried it myself, but I've largely heard positive things about it.

Robert Bruce is widely recommended, although I'm not sure how many of the people who are doing the recommending have actually achieved controlled projection (not a shot at Shin, I know he knows his shit). Of course this is a problem with metaphysical literature in general, armchair practitioners will recommend things because they look or sound good, despite never having dived into them deeply enough to know whether they work.

That said, my impression is that Bruce is legit, and I know he offers individual training via. skype, which you might find useful. I've always found that contact with a teacher results in exponential progress compared to working out of second hand sources, even if those sources are put together by the same teacher. There's an individual dynamic that just can't be replicated with books and DVDs.

More generally, what is your foundation like? Are you physically healthy and emotionally balanced? Do you have an established training routine? Can you sense and work with energy? If not, I'd worry about those things before trying AP.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

Rin wrote:Out of curiosity, in what context did you try the Monroe program and what was your experience with it? I've never tried it myself, but I've largely heard positive things about it.

I tried as I read it on Monroe's site and other that talked about methods for deepening your state that Monroe left out. I could get to a state of being heavy, feeling vibrations with very mild control of them. yes I am healthy, and energy work has never been a part of Astral travel based on everything I read.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Rin wrote:(not a shot at Shin, I know he knows his shit)
My biggest issue with Robert is the early stages of NEW, because he gives so much attention to applying the Tactile Imagination in his methods. That's all fine and effective for those who have a Plastic Imagination either through previous training or natural talent, but for a lot of people that's going to be a pitfall. It's easy to build up Analytical Overlay right from the start, and thus some people will end up flying around in their own heads thinking that they are exploring astral worlds.

If you can get past that, though, Astral Dynamics is almost guaranteed to get you out of your body. Not only that, his method takes advantage of the natural mechanisms the body already has and gets you out in a very natural way. You just have to do the work - the energy work, the trance work, and practice of projection itself once you get there.
C505 wrote: energy work has never been a part of Astral travel based on everything I read.
Then you're reading the wrong things.

Mental Travel does not require any energy work, just a strong and disciplined mind. You can learn how to do that in Benjamin Rowe's Short Course on Scrying, or by reading Nick Ferrell's book on Magickal Imagination.

Astral Travel, however, is something else entirely. It is the projection of a denser part of your metaphysical anatomy, the thing between your Mind and Body. Energy Work is an important prerequisite to projection of this body, because this body is made of such energy. By doing proper energy work you cleanse and strengthen this body, exercising it like a muscle you've never been aware of, so that when you do leave your physical body it is strong enough to carry you around.

Seriously, just read Astral Dynamics. If you want to learn Magick as a whole, or work on spiritual development, I'd recommend other things; but if Astral Projection is the main thing you want to do...I have yet to read an individual book that covers the specific topic of Astral Projection better than Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce.

~:Shin:~

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Shinichi wrote:
Rin wrote:(not a shot at Shin, I know he knows his shit)
My biggest issue with Robert is the early stages of NEW, because he gives so much attention to applying the Tactile Imagination in his methods. That's all fine and effective for those who have a Plastic Imagination either through previous training or natural talent, but for a lot of people that's going to be a pitfall. It's easy to build up Analytical Overlay right from the start, and thus some people will end up flying around in their own heads thinking that they are exploring astral worlds.

I thought the whole point of his method was the circumvent the training of the Plastic Imagination by relying on pure awareness - similar to Eastern methods which involve opening up your sense of the energetic layer of your body through breathing methods as a a kind of "wedge" between body and mind. But by the time I experimented with NEW I had already been doing IIH and assorted other training for 18 months or so, so I can't really vouch for it's effectiveness from scratch either way. It definitely did help me really "lock down" my sense of my energy body though, although I didn't practice the actual curriculum, just integrate the basic method into what I was already doing.

As for analytic overlay, I think anyone who's prone to developing it on that deep a level is probably going to end up flying around inside their own heads for a while either way, unless they have firm, in-person guidance. But it does get sad when they never get out of their head - see all of the "psychological" magicians.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

I will read "Astral Dynamics" when I can. I just know I have had mild success with Monroe's method and the Frost's method( though I disagree with what they say on a lot of stuff). Maybe energy work is my problem who knows, thanks for the help

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

When you said Monroe I thought you were talking about the Monroe Institute and their hemi-sync method. Have you taken a crack at that?
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

Rin wrote:When you said Monroe I thought you were talking about the Monroe Institute and their hemi-sync method. Have you taken a crack at that?
Yes, I followed there instructions with only partial success

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

C505 wrote:
Rin wrote:When you said Monroe I thought you were talking about the Monroe Institute and their hemi-sync method. Have you taken a crack at that?
Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "followed their instructions"? Did you attend one of their courses?
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

Rin wrote:
C505 wrote:
Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "followed their instructions"? Did you attend one of their courses?

The Monroe institute put out their method publicly. However they didn't tell how to deepen your trance at a certain point, outside resources helped me with that. I never attended one of their courses

Return to “Psychicism”