Mentors

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Teregar

Where would I go about finding a mentor to guide me along my path, I don't want someone to tell me what to do, and how to do it. Just someone to suggest where to start, it would also be cool to have someone to learn with. Any suggestions?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: tiger_shark

There are lot's of ways to find mentors, though it's almost always pretty difficult. What path do you want a mentor in? http://www.witchvox.com/ is an excellent place to find groups (though there are mostly wiccan groups). Im assuming you are interested in Shamanism or something along the lines of that if you posted in this area, its going to be very difficult to find a mentor in that subject. If you don't mind learning over the phone you should look up the boreadean order of druid and ferylt on witchvox. Their high preistess has extensive knowledge in several areas including shamanism.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: alacardkane

theres always chating with folks over IM. but where do you live?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Jenfucius
Teregar;348133 wrote:Where would I go about finding a mentor to guide me along my path, I don't want someone to tell me what to do, and how to do it. Just someone to suggest where to start, it would also be cool to have someone to learn with. Any suggestions?
Befor even finding a mentor you could also do some reading on what shamanism and the various different cultural perspectives if your serious enough about it (at least also you can protect yourself against phoney shamans out there these days. Sadly there are quite a number of them around. Use your best judgement is the most I can say.). Decide what type of shamanism you want to get into or if nothing specific, focus on several different types of shamanism. At least this can help you decide what kind of mentor you are looking for. Shamanism is a very broad field.

Even though I have some disagreement with his work Michael Harner does have an okay intro on shamanism. If your very hard core for historic & cultural accuracy you might want to read up on some cultural anthroplogical books on shamanism. OR books written by historians on shamanism.

If your very very serious. I also suggest you pick up some books on wilderness survival and plant indentification. You might even consider going to the Amazon jungle and learning under genuine tribal shamans there. With linages going back hundreds or even thousands of years (lots to learn). Its really worth while as many tribes are going extinct and the shamans are having harder time finding those who are willing to learn. Its an experience you can cherish all your life.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Case

Honestly, you should start by asking yourself why you feel you need a mentor. My experience of such things suggests that people work a lot better by learning and practicing solo before comparing and practicing with others. Too often does the mentor/student relationship end up merely generating 'mini-me magi', or individuals who cripple their own constructive imagination in favour of someone elses truth.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

though shamanism is a little different, there are specific things that do need to be taught by someone who has already been taught it themselves. it seems that there are simply some things, especially in this time that are just required to be learned from others. not to mention, you would need a person who is experienced in vision quests to help guide you in one, just for the sake of safety. Also, as far as many things ive come across, next to some of that craziness Crowley was dealing in,

shamanism is probably one of the most dangerous paths to walk. I mean, how many other paths deal quite specifically with the dead and the otherside. I mean, at some points you wonder if you're going crazy, and you need another shaman to say "yeah, it is there."

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: ominous

If you actively go about seeking a mentor you will surely find the wrong kind. Work on yourself in the meantime...

It may sound Corny but, "When the student is ready the teacher will appear."

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Rend Sever

Let nature be your mentor.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: the phoenix

Unfortunately, you generally need a mentor just to teach you how to understand and discern between good and bad shaman mentors. Therefore I can only recommend that you always investigate a variety of angles or perspectives on any given point, and let logic guide you. This being said, I volunteer my services to you if you want, just e-mail me what you're interested in, where you're at in terms of self-realization, what are your questions, or anything. Don't take my word for anything, but thankfully sound logic speaks for itself, it's just a matter of recognizing faulty premises and fitting sound pieces of knowledge together into a coherent paradigm.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Centrix

Great chance you can not be a shaman in the authentic sense along most everyone on this board. See if you can contact an indigenous shaman and talk with them about your desires and interests.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Rend Sever

[QUOTE=Centrix;350789]Great chance you can not be a shaman in the authentic sense along most everyone on this board.[/QUOTE]

It's true.

Don't let it stop you, though. Being a teacher-less trailblazer isn't so bad, and in some cases saves you from imposing traditional dogmas you may not always agree with.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: dagon cthulhu

I don't think you need a mentor in this age.I think in the past it was necessary.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

when this thread became, i was searching for a mentor. so i believed that one was needed. though, i find now, that what is needed is someone/thing to tell you when to stop, watch, listen, feel and smell.

i believe now, after searching, after reaching out, testing the oracles, that...unless you are really drawn to a specific tradition of shamanic practice. then there really is no better teacher then yourself.

through upg (unverified personal gnosis) I have come to think about the root of it. that at some point, a person sat down and learned what they needed to know from the universe itself, it is a great teacher, and has been around longer than any of us can imagine.

the dead know things, the trees know things, the rocks and other animals all know things. just listen and ask.

its like RS pointed out. In our world, there are so many views, and many times we allow ourselves to settle for another person's opinion and traditions, even if they feel wrong to us.

learn and be your own path.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Jenfucius

I dont see traditions as all bad. They do have history behind them and are probably as authentic as you can get. I believe certain traditions are worth preserving; they do have their own unique flavour & egregore to them.
Sorta like your favorite foods. :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: dagon cthulhu

[QUOTE=alacardkane;353198]when this thread became, i was searching for a mentor. so i believed that one was needed. though, i find now, that what is needed is someone/thing to tell you when to stop, watch, listen, feel and smell.

i believe now, after searching, after reaching out, testing the oracles, that...unless you are really drawn to a specific tradition of shamanic practice. then there really is no better teacher then yourself.

through upg (unverified personal gnosis) I have come to think about the root of it. that at some point, a person sat down and learned what they needed to know from the universe itself, it is a great teacher, and has been around longer than any of us can imagine.

the dead know things, the trees know things, the rocks and other animals all know things. just listen and ask.

its like RS pointed out. In our world, there are so many views, and many times we allow ourselves to settle for another person's opinion and traditions, even if they feel wrong to us.

learn and be your own path.[/QUOTE]

Bravo.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: Nordgard Celas

[QUOTE=Rend Sever;350303]Let nature be your mentor.[/QUOTE]
If you wanna be a shaman ;) the nature is the best mentor!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mentors

Original post: lwb0747d

bump up then lurk!!!!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ImageWelcome to our wow power leveling site:cheap AGE OF CONAN Power Leveling cheap Warhammer Online Power Leveling MS Mesos RS Money EVE ISK

Return to “Shamanism”