Entheogens in cerimonial, magical, ritual and spiritual use

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: jack hectic

i have been doing research alot into entheogens, myself. thankyou for the warning.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Necrosapien

I agree sincerely with the things you say.

I had a mild interest in salvia divinorum (did I spell that correctly?) and did a lot of reading and research. I still have never taken any entheogens for a few reasons. First, I do not believe myself mature enough to handle the experience and responsibility of any entheogens (although I do drink coffee, but you understand that I'm speaking of strong entheogens). One has to be sure they are doing things for the right reasons, I believe strongly that they should be supervised by sober persons, and that drug use does not become the focus of your practice.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: jack hectic

yes, you spelled salvia divinorum correctly, and i agree completely with what you said.

i think i will try salvia someday, but i want to buy a plant and take care of it for a while. gain some respect for the plant. if i cant keep it alive, i dont think i should take any of what it has to offer.

there is phalaris growing around here that i may try, but still its very dangerous, and i still need to learn alot more beforehand...

besides i already have enough magic projects to keep me occupied for a while.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: hendo555666

Ok ive read quite a bit on this plant and would like to try it out, however im not sure i want to induce purging!!There are different types of plant(red,yellow ect)all used for different things. What recomendations do you have.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Novus Animus

Are you talking about Ayahuasca Vine?

I think I just saw it spelled a different way.

I've been debating trying this out myself lately, as it is legal* and relatively safe.

Save the purging hah.

Ayahuasca is a powerfully psychedelic South American brew/tea traditionally made from the B. caapi vine and other admixtures such as P. viridis (or other DMT-containing plants). One of its primary effects is considered to be the vomiting (the purge) that accompanies the experience. The term ayahuasca is sometimes loosely used to mean any combination of an MAOI with DMT.
Onset
Depending on how much and how recently one has eaten and individual variation, effects begin between 20 and 60 minutes after ingestion.

Duration
With lower doses, effects last shorter, larger doses last longer, with the range being from 2-6 hours of peak effects with 1-8 hours after of lingering effects, depending on dosage and individual user variation.
There are few, if any, serious injuries or deaths associated with ayahuasca use, but it is quite possible to hurt oneself with it . Because one of the major components of Ayahuasca is an MAOI, which acts to inhibit a key enzyme in your body responsible for processes in the brain and throughout the body, it is possible to have severe negative reactions to Ayahuasca. Take care to find out about MAOI interactions with prescription medications and with certain foods before attempting any use.

When an MAOI is combined with a wide array of over the counter, prescription, or black market drugs, the results can be very unpleasant or fatal. There are pages on the net devoted to discussions of foods and drugs which are contraindicated with any MAOI use.

Also, as with any intense psychedelic, ayahuasca can precipitate short or long term changes in personality or catalyze psychotic or neurotic episodes.
It sounds like a great thing though. The spirit of the plant is supposed to be a Snake Queen. What do you plan on mixing it with?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hey Novus, how u doing??

Yup thats the stuff im talking about, ayahuasca and ayawaska are the same thing, heres the wiki definition:

"ayahuasca" or "ayawaska" in Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru, also to a lesser extent in Brazil ("vine of the dead" or "vine of souls": in Quechua, aya means "spirit," "ancestor," or "dead person," while waska means "vine" or "rope"). The name is properly that of the plant B. caapi, one of the primary sources of beta-carbolines for the brew.

Havent thought of mixing it with anything, as its potent enough on its own, and mixing it would spoil the spiritual experience it creates. I was contemplating trying Salvia divinorum as well though.

Ayahuasca/ayawaska can be very dangerous though:

Heres another wiki:

Dietary taboos are almost always associated with the use of Ayahuasca; in the rainforest, these tend towards the purification of one's self- abstaining from spicy and heavily seasoned foods, fat, salt, caffeine, acidic foods (such as citrus) and sex before, after, or both before and after a ceremony. A diet low in foods containing tyramine is recommended, as the interaction of tyramine and MAOIs can lead to a hypertensive crisis. This extreme dietary specificity is largely a modern one, as most tyramine is produced as food ages, and is therefore not usually a problem in traditional South American cultures. These dietary restrictions have developed as a means of making ayahuasca ingestion easier on the body, as well as having strong traditional and spiritual significance.

And hypertensive crisis aint nice,the list of foods that contain tyramine is quite wide, so using Ayahuasca/ayawaska would probably involve eating salad for a while before hand.

Also,do you know if it would show up on a drug test, as im regularly tested in the navy???

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: anarchophila

Consider growing it yourself. I've heard its very powerful. Make sure someone you trust knows what you're up to when you take it so they can keep an eye on you.

-anarchophila

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hail anarchophila,

Its usualy recomended you have a person experinced in shamanism with you,to help talk you through the experience, dunno where i'll find one of those.
Where does one buy seeds for such a venture???

Tony

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Doing just fine sir!
Yourself?

Well, the only places I have seen it for sale sell just the vine.

I don't know to much about the prepartion of it, though I do know its usually made into a tea. Even the natives will mix it with other plants though, usually containing DMT. There is argument though about which plant then provides the trip, but both in unison seem to work very well.

The word "Ayahuasca" refers to a medicinal and magical drink incorporating two or more distinctive plant species capable of producing profound mental, physical and spiritual effects when brewed together and consumed in a ceremonial setting. One of these plants is always the giant woody liana vine called ayahuasca (Banisteriopsis caapi or other species). The other plant or plants combined with ayahuasca generally contain tryptamine alkaloids, most often dimethyltryptamine (DMT). The plants most often used are the leaves of chacruna (Psychotria viridis and other species) and oco yagé; also known as chalipanga, chagraponga, and huambisa (Diplopterys cabrerana).
I don't know about the chemicals in Ayahuasca showing up on drug tests, but I know that the DMT will not, and they do not test for it. You should be able to get away with it then.

If you want to buy the two plants you need, you can get them here...

http://spiritapothecary.com/et1.html

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Novus your a ledgend;)
Cheers:)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Just glad to help out :)

If I had enough money and know how, I would join you.

Let me know how it goes for you if you deiced to go for it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Luke Saint

I know this isn't much pertinent but DO NOT buy Emerald Sage Goddess salvia tincture. I paid $200 for it and it didn't do anything but create a wince in my mouth at the very mention of its name. Could just been me. Sorry to butt in! To ONE truth are we all to be drawn? Peace.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Luke,how could anything you say be but honey in our mouths!!lol!!!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

[QUOTE=hendo555666;258167]Luke,how could anything you say be but honey in our mouths!!lol!!![/QUOTE]

Honey?! And to think I believed that I was spreading poison all this time... Damn that chemist in me!! I suppose I shall have to formulate new concoctions that will appease the needy. Peace for the purpose of uprooting the ego.

PS
"There are no atheists in foxholes."

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I apologize hendo for my hasty reply. Seeing as how you appreciate the "honey in our mouths" that I give you I have a treat. If you could take the time to come and see me personally I would let you taste my sweetest honey of all, et. al.
Peace.

PS
A wise man from the East once said "why spit and waste when you can swallow and taste."

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I was wondering if anyone had any interesting experiences with morning glory heavenly blues, or any other form of LSA for that matter. The reason I ask is because I would like to compare notes.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

sorry dude i dont swing that way,haha!!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Cool man, actually I dont either... not that there's anything wrong with it! Peace.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Sud Ram

You can find a lot of information about Ayahuasca on Erowid, a great resource for entheogens and psychedelics.

About the D. Cabrerana, it's use is usually reserved for advanced to very advanced practitioners or initiated shamans as it's effects are permanent and if not properly managed will cause VERY serious damage.

I personally never recommend anyone to use plants with other people than an initiated shaman or by themselves with the blessing of such a shaman.

The depth of plant work is beyond rational understanding and requires great care if one is to work towards healing rather than just looking for a "far-out" experience.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Dracophoenix

A friend of mine has used morning glory seeds twice. The first time he swallowed them it had no affect. He second time he chewed them didn't swallow them and kept it in his mouth like you would chewing tobacco and had a very wild experience.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I always just swallow them, so maybe that's why I don't feel the 'impact'. I did grind them up though and wrote my essay called "On The Ego" so who knows? Peace.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Sud Ram

Luke Saint,

I've worked with both Morning Glory and Hawaiian Baby Woodrose several times at different doses and also with the former have blended them with Copelandia Cyanescens.

The deeper workings have happened with HBW at doses over 10 seeds.

However, more visual experiences happened with the MG/CC blend.

At around 6 seeds, the HBW provides insight into a certain issue without the total immersion into the realm of alternate reality.

I have some experiences written on my blog I think, you'd have to dig in the archives of sudram.blogspot.com

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I love LSA and LSD. One time I ate a whole sheet of... LSD and I saw the sun moving along with the beat of the music I was listening to. Just like the visuals on Windows Media Player or something like that.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Peter Richardson

Hi Everyone

This is my first post to this forum and do so with some hesitation to respect privacy but was invited here by one of your members. He mentioned this thread and the interest in working with the Ayahuasca medicine. We have been working with this sacred medicine for the last 6 years and taking people to this experiential journey for the last 5 years. It has been by far and beyond the most powerful experiences of our own lives and those who we have journeyed with.

So we run workshops in Brazil throughout the year for people who want to approach this experience. For the most part westerners don't have an understanding of shamanic traditions, sacred plants or generally anything sacred at all. So we created a framework and support to learn from the plant in a way that is supported, protected and comfortable. These experiences are often anything but comfortable so it's really a good thing to be taken care of during this journey. We've been there ourselves at the mercy of the plant and all you want is someone to sit with you!

This is really not a try it at home yourself sort of thing though some people do this. But this is a trans-dimensional doorway and you find out what that really means about 45 minutes after you drink the tea. It sounds interesting in books but is for real and you become very vulnerable in this space. So it's very important to be in a protected space with a shaman that you trust. Only your feelings can tell you if you are in a good space or not.

If there is anything I can do for anyone here, help answer questions, share about these experiences ... I am always happy for this. I tend to stay away from the forums and not get involved with debates or anything like that. Please feel free to email us at [email protected] and can set up a time to talk by phone. This is very personal work for us and actually is better to talk than try to describe about this by email.

One other note is that yes we do charge for workshops that we host in Brazil and it's a big trip for anyone considering this experience. It's safe, legal and well supported there. This is a week long intensive. There are more details here:

http://www.heartoftheinitiate.com/workshops/brazil/ayahuasca

There is a lot of writing in our Library section and streaming audio & video as well. There is a ton of recording from lectures from Brazil, music that we recorded during the Ayahuasca journeys, and two Podcasts talking about the journeys with the plants.

Even if you have no interest at all in making this trip I am still more than happy to share with you about this experience, answer questions, and tell you from the horses mouth so to speak.

Thanks so much

peter

I'll post another article here which is a really good over view of this experience. You'll notice that we don't focus so much on the pharmacology or the technical side of the plant. This is really secondary and less important to the larger questions in working with the Ayahuasca. Such as confronting your own humanity and the real magic of this teaching plant.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Peter Richardson

(Originally published in the September 2006 edition of Four Corners Magazine)

Forgetfulness.

Ayahuasca is a plant medicine that helps us remember a place within that is long forgotten. It strips away ego behaviors that have enslaved us, and allows us to return to our source. We all arrived on this earth plane alive and conscious. It is likely that during the first days of our lives, our brains were visionary and telepathic. Hidden within each of us was a silent awareness of our own heroic destiny.

Then we all suffered in some way. We were confused by a betrayal or abandonment. We felt misunderstood or not cared for in some way. As this happened, our very young psyches began to shift. We began to construct a false self. We learned to avoid any future possible abandonment. Rather than being open and vulnerable, we became guarded and skeptical. Ego saved us, but in avoiding abandonment ... we gained loneliness.

The current human condition has to do with the condition of individual humans. In order to survive we created an egocentric idea of ourselves that we think is stronger, more capable, and smarter than who we feel we really are. The ego has asserted itself as a false self, while our true nature lay hidden. Over the ages we have agreed to live in a prison. We have forgotten who we are, and we have forgotten the eternal landscape that we inhabit.

Remembering.

The journey back to the â??true selfâ?? is a natural process that occurs when the sleeping brain awakens. When the sleeping brain awakens, your point of reference is moved, and you naturally see (remember) who you are. You come back to the silent place of your source. You remember.

The only way back to your higher self is to agree to let go of any notion of who you think you are and be willing to make the journey back. This process assails the ego. Shamanic traditions refer to this as the death of ego. Ideas of self-importance fall away naturally. They become irrelevant. The Ayahuasca medicine helps us to find the way back. It is natureâ??s teacher.

Your sense of creativity and destiny is manifested in your feelings. As you feel this sense of destiny, no matter how crazy or incongruous with your life it feels, it is very important to realize that the feeling is a message from your childlike, higher self. It is connected to your soulâ??s purpose.

Natureâ??s Medicine.

Ayahuasca contains the very powerful psychoactive and visionary substance called Dimethyltryptamine (DMT). DMT is found in all living things including humans.

The pineal gland is a primary component of the visionary brain. DMT is likely produced in the pineal, and recent research indicates that the pineal will produce DMT in large amounts at least 2 times in the life of a human; at birth and at death. Perhaps it heralds the entry and departure of the soul. Persons having 'near death' experiences ... seeing bright lights ... seeing portals ... Seeing religious icons ... are most definitely experiencing the effects of DMT. Even lucid dreaming may be the result of smaller quantities being released.

It is now believed that the human pineal goes into an atrophied state in a personâ??s early teen years. We live in an age where the collective ego has shelved the pineal as old fashioned and unnecessary. Ayahuasca is a natural plant medicine that reawakens the sleeping brain, because it contains exactly the same biochemistry as the pineal. This plant medicine is like liquid consciousness that awakens the telepathic and visionary brain. All we have to do is be willing to let go.

The visionary process of Ayahuasca also has the effect of allowing a person to resolve and heal spiritually, psychologically, emotionally and physically. The brew is referred to as "entheogenic" which means "god generated within".

The famous ethno-botanist, Terrance McKenna said, "It is one thing when you become interested in these plants (Ayahuasca) and it is another thing when these plants become interested in you." Nature itself has a collective intelligence. Plants are sentient. Somehow part of the mystery of the evolution of human consciousness seems to be connected to nature.

Some plants nourish us. Some plants are used to heal our physical bodies. And some plants are medicines for the soul. They teach us the way back to the divine within us.

Planetary Evolution.

Many people hope that humanity is at the very doorstep of an extraordinary shift. This 'shift' is really about the return of the Goddess energy. Healing is coming to humanity from nature; from mother-earth; from Gaia. It is about the return of the feminine.

The spirit of the earth or Gaia is literally working with humans towards a conclusion to this age and the advent of a new one. Nature is working towards healing herself.

The feelings of destiny are becoming more pronounced now than ever before. There is a gathering that is taking place. Healers and teachers are waking up. Brave people are resolving their humanity. Listen to the feelings that have been with you for a long time. Perhaps you are feeling the tug of this undiscovered path within. The Ayahuasca temple in Brazil is in a beautiful and natural setting on the beach in the state of Bahia. It gives me great hope that many brave people are coming here. You can come too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Ralph Miller 2006. Ralph has worked with people from all over the world in an experiential journey which he calls Heart of the Initiate as a way for people to remember their "authentic selves". He has conducted workshops in Brazil that incorporate the use of the sacred Ayahuasca medicine which is a doorway to the discovery of who we really are.

Return to “Shamanism”