Catnip - herbalism - human use for cat's catnip

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Catnip - herbalism - human use for cat's catnip

Post by Occultess »

I've read that catnip is good as something to calm you down (like making a tea out of it, I think). Well, I got some once, but I was at the grocery store and all they had was something for cats. I still haven't used it, because someone said to me that maybe I shouldn't use it since they tend to have less strict health regulations on things for animals (you know, like...you get something for your dog and it says "not fit for human consumtion" on it somewhere. So, what do you think? Do you think it would be ok for me to eat/drink the catnip or should I just go and get human catnip someplace?
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Catnip - herbalism - human use for cat's catnip

Post by Nahemah »

I use it.
I get a decent one for the cats and I also use it myself.
It's pure dried leaf and not the powder and it's relatively expensive compared with other types available.

I mix it with mugwort and other interesting plants [crazy] and smoke it.
I also pick fresh and dry it for later use and I occasionally burn some along with mugwort and nettles for certain types of workings.

Word of warning,though,be careful with the root,it's much stronger than the rest of the plant,so legend says.
I 've not tried that out,but apparently it has the opposite effect to the calming and tonic sense of the leaves and flowers.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

The stuff is a weed too, and so it grows like stink. We grow it on our roof top deck every year.
Xaarea, I think your friend is right. I would exercise some caution in procuring it for yourself.
One never knows what sort of terrifying crap they're spraying on it, although perhaps that's why Nahemah has had such success with using it as an entheogen... [eek] [razz] [lol]
--Just kidding, Nah!

Try to find some organic if you can. Always better. [geek2]

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Nahemah wrote:I use it.
I get a decent one for the cats and I also use it myself.
It's pure dried leaf and not the powder and it's relatively expensive compared with other types available.

I mix it with mugwort and other interesting plants [crazy] and smoke it.
I also pick fresh and dry it for later use and I occasionally burn some along with mugwort and nettles for certain types of workings.

Word of warning,though,be careful with the root,it's much stronger than the rest of the plant,so legend says.
I 've not tried that out,but apparently it has the opposite effect to the calming and tonic sense of the leaves and flowers.
Thanks, Nahemah! I'll have to keep that root thing in mind. Just out of curiousity.....what does mugwort do?

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

TheSeeker wrote:The stuff is a weed too, and so it grows like stink. We grow it on our roof top deck every year.
Xaarea, I think your friend is right. I would exercise some caution in procuring it for yourself.
One never knows what sort of terrifying crap they're spraying on it, although perhaps that's why Nahemah has had such success with using it as an entheogen... [eek] [razz] [lol]
--Just kidding, Nah!

Try to find some organic if you can. Always better. [geek2]
What I have is organic. It says: 100% Certified Organic and Grown and processed without pesticides and chemicals.
It's from, SmartyKat.

And it's dried like Nahemah was mentioning.

Hmmm....I'm getting the feeling I can use this without eminent death [happy2]

Thanks, The Seeker!

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Gotta add the South Park catnip scene

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rauðolfr »

when i was younger i used to smoke it like weed. It'll get you stoned but it gives a nasty hangover.
I used to mix it with tobacco and wormwood. wouldn't particularly recomend it, but you could give it a go...

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Mugwort is quite calming,I find,personally.I run on nervous energy ,so slowing the mental pace is always a good thing for me.

It's perhaps best known magickally/classically,as a dream enhancer and Astral binding loosener.It also offers psychic protection,for travellers and tradionally is assocaited with physical travel too.

Like Catnip it's a versatile plant,with culnary and medical applications as well as magickal.

http://www.witchipedia.com/herb:mugwort

I think it's also one of the traditional 'Nine' Sacred Herbs' in Anglo Saxon lore.[Yep,checked]It's certainly part of my own more Northern Nine,along with Catnip,funnily enough. [thumbup]

I burn mugwort with stinging nettles,sometimes, for whe nI need a little extra Psychic oomph.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Nahemah wrote:Mugwort is quite calming,I find,personally.I run on nervous energy ,so slowing the mental pace is always a good thing for me.

It's perhaps best known magickally/classically,as a dream enhancer and Astral binding loosener.It also offers psychic protection,for travellers and tradionally is assocaited with physical travel too.

Like Catnip it's a versatile plant,with culnary and medical applications as well as magickal.

http://www.witchipedia.com/herb:mugwort

I think it's also one of the traditional 'Nine' Sacred Herbs' in Anglo Saxon lore.[Yep,checked]It's certainly part of my own more Northern Nine,along with Catnip,funnily enough. [thumbup]

I burn mugwort with stinging nettles,sometimes, for whe nI need a little extra Psychic oomph.

Sounds cool! ....well atleast until I got to the part about nervous issues and liver damage [unsure] , but....otherwise.

Anyway, thanks! I bookmarked the link. It does sound useful, even if I will have to be extremely careful with it.

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Occultess wrote:...well at least until I got to the part about nervous issues and liver damage [unsure] , but....otherwise
You go to Blöts and you're worried about liver damage? [razz]

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

TheSeeker wrote:
Occultess wrote:...well at least until I got to the part about nervous issues and liver damage [unsure] , but....otherwise
You go to Blöts and you're worried about liver damage? [razz]
Blöts? What's that? ....maybe you have me mixed up with somebody else.

...also possible, I went there and didn't realize it. [neutral]

...or forgot

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

I'm drinking my first cup of Catnip tea...

*blech!*

Tastes terrible! I think I'll try adding something to it next time to make it taste better.

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rauðolfr »

You go to Blöts and you're worried about liver damage?
just a sip is fine, ok?

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Occultess wrote:I'm drinking my first cup of Catnip tea...
*blech!*
Tastes terrible! I think I'll try adding something to it next time to make it taste better.
Vodka?
Naaah, honey and lemons. You could also try adding the catnip to some other kind of herbal tea with a flavour you enjoy.

Return to “Shamanism”