I believe I have a shamanic calling

Beatnik_renaissance
Forum Member
Forum Member

I believe I have a shamanic calling

Post by Beatnik_renaissance »

Hello all this is my first post. I have been reading this forum as a guest lately, and it piqued my interest. Anyway, let's get down to business. A few months ago down at the jersey shore I went to a psychic. Now, I'd like to inform you I am neither a skeptic nor a hardcore believer in anything at all. Her reading was incredible, and she mentioned that I have a psychic ability of my own through my dreams. After hearing this I began to think about all of the dreams I've ever had that I could remember. Other than one scary reoccuring dream, which happens again once I forget about, there were two major themes: the bear, and the snake. I have always felt a strange connection with the bear for my entire life. I have dreams of bears often. For instance, I once had a dream of a bear entering my home at night. I reacted in panic and stabbed the bear in the eye. The bear then shapeshifted, into the form of my father, clutching his face and asking why I had done such a thing. The snake theme is far more intrigueing. As a kid, I was afraid of snakes, uncomfortable with them. Regrettably, I would shoot them with a slingshot, or hit them with shovels, etc, if I found them in my yard. Then one night I had a dream, that many snakes surrounded me in my bed and they spoke to me. They said that If I stop killing them they would stay out of my home, out of my space, or something of that sort. This was about 8 years ago or so. Sometime about a year ago, I found a snake in my yard, where my very small dog was running about. Concerned about the safety of my 22lb pug, I killed the snake. Within a few months, I saw a snakes tail slither beneath a closet door, and it entered the closet. After completely emptying the closet and every sort of container in it, I found absolutely nothing. And so I feel that I have a shamanic calling or path, that I have strayed from, ignored, or mistreated. Also I apparently have some sort of dream ability (I forgot to mention I have been lucid dreaming without effort since the age of 7, though not very often.) Now I suppose I need help either choosing between one or the other, or perhaps further developing my dreaming ability and following my shamanic path. I also would like to know if any danger awaits me. I don't want to mess around with anything crazy, though i welcome the unknown and am interested. If I am at risk for something ridiculous, I want to know, although what I have said probably isnt an indication of danger, what Im asking is what to do, and If i commit to the shamanic path, is there no way out? Are they dangers, and if so how serious and how may I go about this carefully if I choose to pursue my interest in the occult?

Thanks guys,
-Nick

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: I believe I have a shamanic calling

Post by Ramscha »

First of all, of course there are dangers, like everywhere else. I would compare magick like driving a care: Properly educated you can drive without much worries but always take care, then you have fun and go forward. Messing around can provoke accidents and unecessary casualties.

I would recommend a really fantastic book for shamanism if you like to walk this path. I am no expert on it myself and don´t work with those animal forms or totem animals but I read a little bit about it. Here is the homepage:
http://www.kondor.de/indexe.html

The book is called "The flight of the condor - contemporary shamanhood" and is really a must-read, however I only found a german version so far and I don´t know if there is any english version yet. However, Google is your friend [wink2]

Good luck, friend
bye bye

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

Hello Nick,

Besides aspects of Ceremonial Magick I practice a basic form of Shamanism. So I have a little experience here. The core of Shamanism is the relationship between the shaman and his totem animals. It is possible that one of these or both are a totem manifesting to you. But that is not certain and do not get locked into the idea. Traditionally, to discover your totem(s) you would undertake an Underworld Journey. There are many good books out there for you to explore the subject.

Beatnik_renaissance
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Beatnik_renaissance »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ramscha, that website was very informative, thanks. Asurenda, I know not to jump to conclusions though my post seems like I am. I simply am seeking guidance from people with more experience or any experience at all for that matter. People such as yourself. I am not necessarily ruling out the possibility of these totems choosing me, I also am not totally convinced. I wish to receive information and/or guidance, such as how to pursue shamanism if I choose, or if I should at all, etc. I admire the fact that you would make that statement, however, as It is satisfying to see that you are on the lookout for idiots on this forum, or folks otherwise lacking seriousness. I am glad to see this, as after reading through a lot of things, I realize there are some things that are not child's play, and It is important to prevent those with non-serious intent from messing around with forces of which they are unaware, or have no respect for. Anyway, years ago I started to get into meditation, though I lost interest, or couldnt incorporate it into my routine. I plan on trying to meditate again sometime soon with the sole purpose of contacting my totem or totems. I may contact you guy for further guidance after that. But for now I would appreciate it if you can offer any advice that isnt too individualized or geared towards yourself, or things to avoid, etc. Just obvious beginner things, that I probably have learned or could have learned from the reading I've been doing lately, but I seek and value specific advice from more experienced people rather than reading a webpage or book that I cannot interact with, though they are valuable resources.

Return to “Shamanism”