Native American magic(k), witchcraft

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

Native American magic(k), witchcraft

Post by astrolabgoz9881 »

After being a bad troll down in the trollpit,
Hail to my moral resurrection and, again found some urge to practice!
I am troubled for ages, can't find a book on the internet to practice some Native magic ie. spellcraft and witchcraft by it.
Would be thankful for any resources on this subject given to me.
And Jesvs said: Go into those peepz...

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Native American magic(k), witchcraft

Post by Asurendra »

Unfortunately for you, I am probably one of the most experienced and knowledgeable people about Shamanism on the Forum since I work with two Totems: Fox & Hawk. You have alienated me and have shown you are not a serious person so you should not expect anything from me. You have also not impressed some of the other more advanced people on the Forum. Let this be a lesson to you: "... und suche dir, Gänser, die Gans!" (Parsifal, Act 1)

The only advice I will offer is to give what is already there: spend the time and effort looking through my older posts in the Shamanism section of the Forum.

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

Asurendra wrote:Unfortunately for you, I am probably one of the most experienced and knowledgeable people about Shamanism on the Forum since I work with two Totems: Fox & Hawk. You have alienated me and have shown you are not a serious person so you should not expect anything from me. You have also not impressed some of the other more advanced people on the Forum. Let this be a lesson to you: "... und suche dir, Gänser, die Gans!" (Parsifal, Act 1)

The only advice I will offer is to give what is already there: spend the time and effort looking through my older posts in the Shamanism section of the Forum.

Thank you,

I am only looking for what I said.
And keep your struggle in the Trollpit,
Please.

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

bye bye

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

I assume you're talking about Native American Indians when asking about NA witchcraft.

The US is HUGE. There is no one way to practice NA Medicine (which is what it's called). Without learning and understanding the culture from which it comes (and there are many - different tribes and nations practiced differently) it just turns into a mish mash.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

To expand on what Rose Red wrote, the tribes in different areas of the country have very different practices which developed from their local environment. The Hopi in the South-West have a more developed ritual system than the Chippewa might have on a reservation in Michigan.

In studying anthropology texts one might collect some isolated techniques but how they fit together and particularly the darker practices they would call sorcery you are not going to learn from books. That is much more underground than say Palo from Haiti. You would have to learn from them directly and the chances of that happening are very low.

Two books you can read to get some ideas are the following:

Gift of Power: the Life and Teachings of a Lakota Medicine Man by Archie Fire Lame Deer & Richard Erdoes

Song of the Deer: the Great Sun Dance Journey of the Soul by Thunder Strikes & Jan Orsi

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

Everything that has been said here is quite treue indeed. There are some basic similarities shared by many Native systems. I've put together what I think is a good list for a beginner to start out with. Read them in the order I've given here:

"Spirit Healing" Atwood, Mary. Sterling: New York. 1991.

"Animal Speak" Andrews Ted. Lewellyn: 2002

"Healing Secrets of the Native Americans" Shimer Porter, Ted Press: 2004

"Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking" Brown Tom, Berkley Books: 1993.

There are many great books out there and I'm sure many are better than what I've provided here, but these will bring you from novice to where you will understand something of what it means to be an advanced practitioner. I wish you joy in your growth.

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

As I forgot to mention, I'd be practicing Cree magic, then Cherokee, tho I'm also interested in Southwest skinwalkers (just to mention, not really thinking I'd be able to practice skinwalking by a book LOLZ), I'm mainly interested in East Coast and forest Indians, then rainforest Aboriginal stuff.
And Mayan.
I noticed the lack of books as "Native American Craft Handbook" or "101 Native spells for everyday life", I too agree it is the best to learn from a living Native narrative source.
But I do consider that all American Natives, beside what is commonly reffered to as Medicine Men and Shamans must have had spells, unique by their origin and cultural background, the way they do spells and rituals and their craft.
So far I read Jaguar Wisdom by Ken Johnson, and I was thinking in the direction of going further that way.
Also, the books you sugested must be of great help,
I am looking forward to read them.
Thanks! [grin]

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

I too am most interested in the forest Indians. In my case, I most like the northeastern peoples. The works I've provided should be regarded as reliable sources for many native peoples, but strongly lean toward the Indians of the forest. I'd be happy to discuss the works in a series of personal messages after you've begun looking them over. Good luck.

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

manonthepath wrote:I too am most interested in the forest Indians. In my case, I most like the northeastern peoples. The works I've provided should be regarded as reliable sources for many native peoples, but strongly lean toward the Indians of the forest. I'd be happy to discuss the works in a series of personal messages after you've begun looking them over. Good luck.
Pumpkin raisers and tobacco farmers are my favorite kind. They were mostly Angolquin speaking group of Natives. Too bad they were hit first by colonies. Pocahontas, ofcourse. And I even think there was Angolquin nation, Delawares who are extinct now due to whites' killings, Cayuga (I think)... But do you generally reffer to Iroqois and Mohawk in your works? It was long ago when I read Stolen Continents and can't remember the author's name... Robert? Richard? Sigh... I know about Innu who roam somewhere in East Canada. Don't know about what happened to Indians of New Foundland... as they were North from Delaware territory, but don't remember any reservation on the map over there.
Would like to read it, of course.

Atehequa
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atehequa »

astrolabgoz9881 wrote:After being a bad troll down in the trollpit,
Hail to my moral resurrection and, again found some urge to practice!
I am troubled for ages, can't find a book on the internet to practice some Native magic ie. spellcraft and witchcraft by it.
Would be thankful for any resources on this subject given to me.
From what I know, difficulty regarding finding such information is due mostly to the fact that indigenous practitioners keep it pretty much well guarded.

However I can offer some helpful information.

By you referring to such beliefs and practices as "Native American" has me thinking about those who would ask an owl about deer mice, when he or she dines exclusively upon meadow voles. Less of a tale or should I pun 'tail' to tell of.

I have to ponder upon the title itself "Native American magic(k), witchcraft,,," Would that be in regards to such beliefs and practices of this part of the western hemisphere after Europeans named it America and claimed it as their own, or are you referring to what is practiced by the hundreds of diverse indigenous nations, tribes and bands?
"We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

Atehequa
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atehequa »

astrolabgoz9881 wrote:
manonthepath wrote:I too am most interested in the forest Indians. In my case, I most like the northeastern peoples. The works I've provided should be regarded as reliable sources for many native peoples, but strongly lean toward the Indians of the forest. I'd be happy to discuss the works in a series of personal messages after you've begun looking them over. Good luck.
And I even think there was Angolquin nation, Delawares who are extinct now due to whites' killing
Oh by the way, the Lenape whom my people affectionately refer to as "our grandfathers" are not extinct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYF-05LlU8
"We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

Return to “Shamanism”