Bear totem

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Bear totem

Post by BlackLavender »

I'm of half Oneida descent from my dad. My clan is Bear (which I get from my grandmother-matrilineal) which is my totem animal. My grandmother on my mother's side said when she was baby (living in DR) she had a guide or familiar who was an Indian who would swim through 7 waters to get to her to help her. She is a Christian these days. So Idk much else about that and I grew up with this side.
Now Bear clans in the Iroquois nations are the medicine people, typically a woman. My dad calls my grandma a witch. [grin2] lol. I guess that's what others would call it. :/
Anybody know anything about bears in shamanism? Or bears as totem animals?
Sometimes I wish I grew up around my dad's side. :(

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Bear totem

Post by magari »

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

Thank you [yay]
Artemis. That's funny while doing a deep study on my numerology, natal chart I found the Artemis connection. [eek]
Amoung others.

Ušušur
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ušušur »

I met this shaman from Finland, she said a few interesting thing about bear. People in Finland (not just shamans) used to eat bear. Even today, there's this celebration once a year I think where some (a few) people eat bears meat in sign of respect and humility towards the animal, and generally, it's a tradition.

Bear is protector and represents courage, strength, leadership, among other things. Here's a bit more: http://www.spiritanimal.info/bear-spirit-animal/

Although your roots are not Scandinavian, you might find this drumming session useful. It is a teacher from aforementioned shaman, doing the bear calling. It starts slowly, and afterwards becomes very intense.

http://www.suomalaisensamanisminkeskus. ... nosto.html

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

Ušušur wrote:I met this shaman from Finland, she said a few interesting thing about bear. People in Finland (not just shamans) used to eat bear. Even today, there's this celebration once a year I think where some (a few) people eat bears meat in sign of respect and humility towards the animal, and generally, it's a tradition.

Bear is protector and represents courage, strength, leadership, among other things. Here's a bit more: http://www.spiritanimal.info/bear-spirit-animal/

Although your roots are not Scandinavian, you might find this drumming session useful. It is a teacher from aforementioned shaman, doing the bear calling. It starts slowly, and afterwards becomes very intense.

http://www.suomalaisensamanisminkeskus. ... nosto.html
Thank you so much! [yay] [pray] [grin]

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

Here is a book, which may be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Speak-Spir ... 0875420281

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

manonthepath wrote:Here is a book, which may be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Speak-Spir ... 0875420281
Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on it. [thumbup]

Atehequa
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atehequa »

Anywhere roams the bear,

the bear will have kinship with men and women. Mkwa, Muga or Muqua to my people, the bear at times symbolizes excellent senses, tracking skills and strength as well as protective. They are thought of as wise and noble, but sometimes will be in the company of a trickster.

I'm not too well versed in the Haudenosaunee clan system, only a smattering.
"We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Hey :)

I'm fairly unfamiliar with totem animals, but I've heard that they represent the subconscious trying to tell us something..

Has anyone heard this before? Or is it more along the lines of an actual animal spirit hovering about the individual?
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

corvidus wrote:Hey :)

I'm fairly unfamiliar with totem animals, but I've heard that they represent the subconscious trying to tell us something..

Has anyone heard this before? Or is it more along the lines of an actual animal spirit hovering about the individual?

Little bit of both in my opinion. Depends on the animal and the person it seems. Some stick around, others come and go.

Atehequa
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atehequa »

Actually the term ‘totem’ was derived from the Algonquian word - Ototema or sometimes - Nto’tem or Odoodem which means kin or sibling. In many Algonquian dialects it refers to a particular animal or supernatural being/creature associated with a tribe, clan, or band. This Ototema is often thought as an ancestor, family member, old friend and most definitely a protector or ally.

These Algonquian Ototemas go far back to the tribe’s, clan’s or band’s origins. Totems are not chosen randomly or due to an individual’s affection or admiration of a particular animal. Information regarding Ototemas is much less guarded than personal spirit helpers and guardian spirits and are often displayed in art.

The term Totemism is used by ethnographers and anthropologists to describe similar beliefs shared by primitive tribes all over the world.
"We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

Totems are thought not to be chosen, they are inherited [wink]
Even Wiki knows that much
bye bye

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

Ramscha wrote:

Totems are thought not to be chosen, they are inherited [wink]
Even Wiki knows that much
Yes, mine is my birth clan. Black bear totem.

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

Atehequa wrote:

Actually the term ‘totem’ was derived from the Algonquian word - Ototema or sometimes - Nto’tem or Odoodem which means kin or sibling. In many Algonquian dialects it refers to a particular animal or supernatural being/creature associated with a tribe, clan, or band. This Ototema is often thought as an ancestor, family member, old friend and most definitely a protector or ally.

These Algonquian Ototemas go far back to the tribe’s, clan’s or band’s origins. Totems are not chosen randomly or due to an individual’s affection or admiration of a particular animal. Information regarding Ototemas is much less guarded than personal spirit helpers and guardian spirits and are often displayed in art.

The term Totemism is used by ethnographers and anthropologists to describe similar beliefs shared by primitive tribes all over the world.
Yes.
The Haudenosaunee use the clans to differentiate between bloodlines (so you don't marry your cousin, lol). It is forbidden to marry a person of the same clan.
Also each clan had a purpose within the longhouse system. The Oneida have 3 totems: black bear, turtle and wolf.

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

Atehequa wrote:Anywhere roams the bear,

the bear will have kinship with men and women. Mkwa, Muga or Muqua to my people, the bear at times symbolizes excellent senses, tracking skills and strength as well as protective. They are thought of as wise and noble, but sometimes will be in the company of a trickster.

Thank you!
Bear clan was, according, to legend, created when a visitor showed a tribeswoman how to the way of the medicine. Each day he'd come with a new illness and taught her how to cure each one.
Bear is the medicine people.

BlackLavender
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by BlackLavender »

BlackLavender wrote:Thank you [yay]
Artemis. That's funny while doing a deep study on my numerology, natal chart I found the Artemis connection. [eek]
Amoung others.
Artemis is also connected to Bastet.

Atehequa
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atehequa »

BlackLavender wrote:

Thank you!
Bear clan was, according, to legend, created when a visitor showed a tribeswoman how to the way of the medicine. Each day he'd come with a new illness and taught her how to cure each one.
Thank you as well as I had thought people were not willing to converse with me here at Occult Forum.

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

Atehequa wrote:
BlackLavender wrote:

Thank you!
Thank you as well as I had thought people were not willing to converse with me here at Occult Forum.
I will be happy to converse with you brother.

Return to “Shamanism”