Mapacho

Ušušur
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mapacho

Post by Ušušur »

I've got an offer to participate in a 'cleansing ritual workshop' where small group of people are supposed to use rape (a mixture of herbs; mostly mapacho, Theobroma cacao etc.).

Has anyone tried mapacho or knows more about it? Is it safe to use in home environment? Any precautions?

I'll probably avoid that workshop, but I am curious about mapacho.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Mapacho

Post by Nahemah »

It's a type of Tobacco plant, Nicotiana Rustica.

I know it's a strong type, but not much more than that, so I went looking and found these sites interesting, I hope you might too. [grin]

http://biopark.org/peru/mapacho.html

http://realitysandwich.com/217970/meeti ... co-spirit/
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Yex
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Yex »

I've smoked mapacho before. It's great for cleansing, blessing, et cetera. I was introduced to it in the context of an ayahuasca retreat in Peru, and it's pretty much used ubiquitously by ayahuasqueros.

The effects are in part a strong nicotine rush, but there's definitely more to it than that. Smoking a few puffs of it - I was never able to smoke more than that - it made me feel kind of stoned, in a way vaguely similar to cannabis intoxication, but also totally different. It's important to remember than it addition to the higher nicotine content, Nicotiana rustica contains harmala alkaloids (which are also present in the ayahuasca vine, as well as syrian rue, et al). These definitely contribute to a very unique headspace.

It's also very important to note that as harmala alkoloids are MAOIs, it's essential to be aware of contraindications. MAOIs combined with a wide array of pharmaceuticals, recreational drugs, and possibly some foods can result in medical emergencies and/or death. This site has an (incomplete) list of contraindicated food and drugs that includes:
Table 1. Contraindicated Drugs

(Partial list): amphetamines, cocaine, MDMA, opiates, barbiturates, decongestants & allergy medications, cold medications, diet pills, methylphenidate, asthma inhalers, meperidine, levodopa, dopamine, carbamazapine, certain antihypertensive medications, sympathomimetic amines (direct & indirect acting) including psuedoephedrine & ephidrine.

Table 2. Contraindicated Foods

cheese, L-tyrosine, liver, broad beans, dry sausage, beer & ale, chocolate, sauerkraut, ripe avocado yeast extracts, caffeine, raspberry jam, certain nuts, dried fruit, banana peel, soy bean products, vermouth, cognac, sherry, chianti, smoked meat, poultry & fish, protein dietary supplements, meat extracts & tenderizers
My understanding is that the food interactions are possibly not as dangerous as was perviously believed, but better safe than sorry. Definitely do some research and be safe.

That said, if you're doing it safely, I think working with mapacho is 100% worthwhile. Once I get off a medication I'm currently on, I will probably order some and begin working it into ritual.
"love is the whole and more than all" - ee cummings

"Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings" - Robert Hunter, as sung by Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead

Ušušur
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ušušur »

There wasn't a word about any contraindicated food or drugs. I think it's logical and, perhaps even moral, to warn people about any possible bad side effects as well as the good ones.

Perhaps I'm being too judgmental.

Return to “Shamanism”