Music for Journeying

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Music for Journeying

Post by Haelos »

I'm looking for a few good recommendations on songs that are made specifically for journeying to, and if not that, then at least something that can be used for the same, efficiently.
I like blasting off to music, but I'm having trouble finding good songs to use. I'd like to stray away from the trippy music a little bit (although it's been the best so far.)
Cloudkicker is pretty good, but I'd like something with more woodwinds. The short sustain on the notes of stringed instruments occasionally hurts my ear when meditating.
I really need something that has a slower drum beat. All of the music I'm finding is too fast. Well, the music overtop can be fast, but the underlying beat needs to be around 60-90bpm. Too much more and you need to shake around like a washing machine to match the tempo.

Can anyone recommend any specific songs? My personal favorite is "Nothing is Something Worth Doing" by Shpongle, but I've explored DMT to that song too many times, and it does weird stuff to my brain when I listen to it now.
I prefer music that doesn't have subliminal crap thrown in.
Thanks ahead of time for any recommendations.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

hyperion5225
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Music for Journeying

Post by hyperion5225 »

Any drum beat or pan flute works for me, a repetitive instrumental with strong beat should work
hail chaos and have fun

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

Tool, infected mushroom

Those have worked for me

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

magari wrote:Tool, infected mushroom

Those have worked for me
The reason I posted this thread was actually because I was listening to the (album?) Vicious Delicious by Infected Mushroom, and I was finding these are the types of songs that are a bit too fast. Other songs by them are just too terrifying to want to use in such a setting.
Tool would likely be a good one. Do you have any particular IM songs to recommend? My personal favorites are "Becoming Insane", "Artillery", and "Release Me". None of which are very good for either a journey or a DMT experience.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Michael Harner - Shamanic Journey

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

Try the Army of Mushrooms album.

The latest albums by tool are the best. The early stuff is more grunge rock.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Sometimes, the dollar stores get the mood music cd's in. Grab a bunch of different ones and see which ones resonate with you and what they bring out in you, if they're helpful with meditation or if it gets you going. For 10 bucks you could do quite a bit of time consuming research on how you work on the inside.

Everyone else that lives here thinks my fairy music is depressing. It's not depressing - it calming and soothing. It has a quiet beat in the background that'll bring you into a as deep a trance state as you would like to go. Don't knock it till ya try it. Yeah, I have some fluffy parts. The New Age Movement got quite a few things right.

And it is a Movement (that's well past New Age) and the transition that's been happening here is part of growth and growing forward. I can't find the original thread cyberdemon posted in to reply there but she's right (just going by your avatar. I don't really know if I should address you as he or she.) Anyways, you're absolutely right that is it your Duty to go beyond your predecessors. As it was mine. I still get bitched at for talking too much sometimes. LOL
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

When I'm focused I need fast, complicated music.

The simple stuff puts me to sleep.

Energy and complexity emowers my mind and body towards flight.

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

magari wrote:When I'm focused I need fast, complicated music.

Meshuggah.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Desecrated wrote:
magari wrote:When I'm focused I need fast, complicated music.

Meshuggah.
I can't journey to metal very effectively. Meshuggah is too mathematical, and it makes my brain try to follow the complicated beats rather than having them pull me in. Idk if that makes sense.
Perhaps if I used it in ecstatic journeying, but I'd need to be at a show for that, and people would probably not enjoy my presence well if I blacked out for a journey in the middle of a pit.
I'm going to try out the other artist you recommended to me when I next have time to myself.

@RoseRed, can you offer me any particular artists you listen to? My dollar store happens to not sell crap worth anything to anyone. Not even rubber bands, dude..
It'd be easier for me to look them up, and track down specific cds if I found them more interesting.

@Magari, I'm going to try out that album as well when I have the chance to. That's one I actually haven't listened to.
I can agree, however, that I need faster, more upbeat music. But it has to be the over-lying track, with the beat behind it slowly dragging my subconscious along. Desecrated's suggestion is just a bit too... Mathematical.. I guess. Like trying to journey to an instrumental track by The Number 12 Looks Like You.
Too crazy on the brain.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

I haven't listened to much meshuggah, but I can say that I prefer Mozart to Beethoven.

Mozart is fast and complicated, but nowhere near as "mathematical" as Beethoven.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

I'd really like trying the different instruments - pan pipes, piano, guitar, xylophone even (hey, it was a buck and a gift lol), rain and windchimes is very soothing.

I like Troika for calming and centering.

I had a cassette called The Mists of Avalon that went missing. That was simply beautiful. I listened to it driving across FL in it's summer time glory with a 5 year old. It was a great 3 hour drive.

I also think that Judas Priests last concert dvd kicks ass. Everybody here hates when I put it on and crank it up. It's quite motivating.

Iron Maiden' has some good stuff and you just can't forget Dio. Dio purposely worked magic into their music. Gods rest his soul. What a great artist we lost when he died.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

I need to add the comment that I don't particularly enjoy dubstep very much, especially for journeying. I've listened to a couple different artists that were pretty good, but it definitely isn't my first choice in music, for any occasion. I do like electronic music, but I prefer more tradition styles like trance and techno.

I have a hard time finding good "trippy" music, because I always have the worry that the songs are laced with subliminal messaging (which most are).
Especially with songs that alter your consciousness, the last thing you need to do is probe your mind with brainwave altering tones implanting ideas in your head.

I've been using binaural beats a lot more lately, and I've come to really enjoy the pure tones, with no music or other sound over-top it. Isochronic tones are fantastic for journeying to, because they have a little "pulse" going, and with a focused attention, you can slow down your perception of time to hear the beats slower, like a drum.
That's another fun thing to note. Isochronic tones give you a pretty cool ability to slow or speed your perception of time, and quite easily I might add. All it takes it a little bit of focus, and it's verifiable by simply opening your eyes and looking and just about anything that moves. I've gotten to the point where about 4 seconds passed in between each isochronic pulse, slowing my perception down to the point where one second felt and looked like it was about a minute long. (maybe more like 40 seconds).

I'd like to make my own track for journeying to, but as I said in Magari's post, I don't have the needed skills to do so.

The mathematical example between Mozart and Beethoven is perfect.
Beethoven had to rely on his knowledge of Musical Theory and the mathematical formulas involved to continue writing such good music, whereas Mozart had more of an ability to feel the music he was writing, rather than simply reading the notes and knowing that it's good music. That's not to say Mozart wasn't a brilliant mathematician himself, but it was less of a primary focus when composing his pieces than it was for Beethoven, probably only because of the difference in their perception of sound.

I'm almost certain to go blind at some point, but going deaf would be madness for me. My inner thoughts would be too loud, as they're already up there. I can' say I'm excited to go blind, but I'd rather it over being deaf. That way I can train my hearing to the extent that I'm on par with the Blind Nigga Samurai. (jokes).
I've always been interested in those who have a lack of a sense though, because their entire universe is so much different from anything I know.
I cannot possibly imagine how terrifying just being alive was for Helen Keller.. She was lucky her nerves freaking worked..

Sight and hearing are the two most important senses, because these tools are how we observe the waves that make up the universe. Without those, our experience would be so amazingly limited, it's not worth laughing about.
I'm so thankful I can even experience music and color. Without these two completely subjective things, life would be nothing to anyone.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

For me, I've found that music throughout regular life is the biggest help for using music as the carrier for journeying. Staying within a beat, a rhythm on a regular basis makes journeying with music much easier. It just becomes a natural thing.

After living in the backwoods country for so long, I learned to feel the heartbeat of the land. When I went home to take care of my Mom I was only 1/2 from NYC. The heartbeat of the land didn't jive well with my own natural rhythms anymore. There's a beautiful thriving feeling in the land here. It's beautiful.

And I think being able to feel like that is also a byproduct of journeying. flowing through and all that.

Return to “Shamanism”