A witch that cannot curse, cannot heal

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Azerate218

Agree or disagree?

I stumbled upon this quote, and I thought that it might spark up an interesting conversation.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: LadyHydralisk

Yes, I totally agree, to destroy the sickness you must be able to devour it!

Ammit eats everything!

*bark bark bark*!!!

Wai Kahan commentates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZgtdaetlyU

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Anathema_Oracle

It's probably just a saying used for commercial purposes only. Who needs a witch if they can't provide the twin services of vengeance and healing?

Most healing spells or concepts I've seen aren't based on destroying anything, but supporting the body and spirit. That may be the reason why healing spells don't seem to ever work.

Interesting quote, who made it by the way?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

My healing spells always work, but they often include third parties, demons and stuff....never asked them how they do it...

Hermetics is the key though - the five major arch elements.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: NachtSorcier

Healing is, for lack of a better term, my speciality. Mostly I make use of simple energy spells (i.e., giving my own energy to the sick in order to help them heal) and herbal remedies. I think it's somewhat unnecessary to attempt to destroy a disease, and better for your body to encourage its natural defenses to destroy the disease on their own.

I think, though, that "the witch who cannot kill cannot cure" (as I have seen it said) applies more to balance than methods. That is to say, in order to sustain life, you must also be able to harm it if necessary (in the case of criminals and such).

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Azerate218

[QUOTE=Anathema_Oracle;284648]

Interesting quote, who made it by the way?[/QUOTE]

Someone on myspace. Lawlz.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: thethird

I disagree. I don't like "cannot"s, as there is always an exception. And there is a difference between curse and destroy. However, for the sake of balance, I would say that if worded differently, it could be a useful quote by reminding the 'witch' that believes in dualities not to overdo one side.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I've got a couple of myspace profiles. ^_-

http://www.myspace.com/lordningishzidda

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: endor957

I've heard that saying somewhere before I think or something that sounds very close to it. I myself agree with the saying but not in the literal sense but more of a principle or lesson to be aware of that one cannot be true at doing one thing without resorting to their ugliness or getting their feet wet in everything-something to that end.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: NachtSorcier

[QUOTE=thethird;284793]I disagree. I don't like "cannot"s, as there is always an exception. And there is a difference between curse and destroy. However, for the sake of balance, I would say that if worded differently, it could be a useful quote by reminding the 'witch' that believes in dualities not to overdo one side.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you, you put it more articulately than I could.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Eretik

I know it as 'the witch who cannot HEX , cannot heal' to remove sickness,you must first understand the nature of the sickness and the taste of it,where it hides and how it functions.You can't do that without experience, the best healers walk the crooked path, tasting both light and dark,but not wholly belonging of either.This is not a recent saying, it's been around for a long time but it will,I think be claimed by lots of folk as theirs. It's a wise one.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Winnipeg1919

While the statement, using either "hex" or "curse", is true, there is no obligation forcing a spellcaster to cause harm. You can be very good at harming disease while being nice to animals and people.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: RainBird

I agree. the power of the witch is one to heal and restore and to hex and bane. a witch should know the whole of its functions.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Qryztufre
True, though a witch that heals is under no obligation to harm. Likewise, a witch that only practice magick to harm is under no obligation to heal. Though the two (healing and harming) are often the two sides of the same coin.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Kylara

I have that quote in my BOS listed as by Z Budapest. It's one I've always liked. It can be looked at in so many ways. As a defensive statement, especially if you are surrounded by people who might take unkindly to your practices, if you can not defend yourself (by hexing those who try to harm you), you can not heal (because you will not be free to practice your arts). As a measure of skill, I think in some ways hexing is easier than healing, in the manner that destroying is easier than building. As a measure of heart, sometimes to do good it requires doing things the patient (or recipient) many not like. In order to heal a broken bone, the bone must first be set...which isn't always a pleasant procedure. If the healer only did what the patient wanted, all of those powerful remedies that are unpleasant wouldn't be used.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Venefica

My mom is a alternative therapist, she alway get annoyed at pepole that say but it is natural so therefore it is harmless. Witch is bullshit, take to much of a vitamin, and it will harm you, eat to much of a beneficial herb it will harm you. The saying I have heard is something like this, what can heal you can also kill you. The case is no a spellcaster is under no obligation to harm anyone if they are good healers, but they do have the power to do so if they wanted to.

I can use a gun to hunt food for my family or to protect myself or them, or I can use it to kill someone. I can use a knife to cook food, or to create artworks, or to cut someone up. It also stand to reason that if I can set right something in the body and heal illness, I can also destroy equilibrium and cause illness. However I do not need to cut anyone to own a knife nor curse anyone to have healing abilities. I can do it, but I am under no obligation to do so.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: imskin

Well, just to clarify, the quote doesn't say that you have to have experience with killing/cursing/hexing, just that you have the power to pull it off. Obviously, if you gain the power over life and death you have both the power of life....... AND death. I don't think you need to be actively cursing people in order to heal others, and conversely, I don't think you need to be actively healing people in order to curse others.

Basically, I think the quote is just saying that power is power and if you have enough to do one thing you have enough to do the other. Or, rather, that is what it is implying.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Luke Wolf

I disagree.
While it is true that a witch who can do both will be much more effective at healing, you can still heal without knowing how to hex. I myself learned how to heal long before I learned how to hex.
I know one person who was born with a healing ability, and he can pull up to 80% of someones illness into himself. He doesn't have to know anything about the illness though to perform this though.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: imskin

[QUOTE=Luke Wolf;285421]I disagree.
While it is true that a witch who can do both will be much more effective at healing, you can still heal without knowing how to hex. I myself learned how to heal long before I learned how to hex.
I know one person who was born with a healing ability, and he can pull up to 80% of someones illness into himself. He doesn't have to know anything about the illness though to perform this though.[/QUOTE]

You're most likely right. I really don't know anything about "witchcraft" per say. I was just analyzing the quote itself.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: doh

I disagree. It's not that they CANNOT, it's that they CHOSE not to. Some make that choice and have limited success. But the heal/curse is a full circle type of thing and is the balance. You can do both, but it's a choice. If one chooses to ignore the other, both will suffer. Doesn't mean that you can't do it, though.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: equinox

how/where/with what do you learn to curse???????

:angel:

nevermind cursing is evil

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: just_an_oli

[QUOTE=equinox;288925]how/where/with what do you learn to curse???????

:angel:

nevermind cursing is evil[/QUOTE]

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: doh

There's plenty of topics on how to curse here.

As far as it being evil, you just keep believing that if it floats your boat, but I think you need to consider other options. Which is more evil? Cursing someone who raped a child or performing a healing spell for someone dying of cancer when it only prolongs the suffering of one who is ready for their own death?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: shadow flame

i think of it as saying to rebuff white lighters. something similiar is "you have to know darkness to understand light"

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: hitman777

The only moral grey area about cursing, for me, is that they do not always hit their intended target. Something always happens, unless the person is protected for some reason, but there are always ways around that.
Um, a, um friend of mine, yeah, told me that a couple of times he threw a curse at a target and it ended up damaging somebody close to the target. Still painful for the target, but probably not what my friend had in mind.
I'm sure my friend isn't all that broken up about it, though.

Return to “Witchcraft”