Silver Ravenwolf

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Silver Ravenwolf

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: darkpoet

Hey, I'm kinda new to the craft, I've been purchasing books by silver ravenwolf and i was wondering if the books she wrote are good and somehow it feels really kiddy in a way to read her books.... does anyone have any experience doing her rituals? if yes please do share... and would love it if you guyz would recommend me better books

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Silver Ravenwolf

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

Let me tell you that me and my team,have used many times the summoning of the 26 angels,in order to help people who needed this kind of help and it was succesfull every single time...i also happen to like the ''clean'' way she explains the methods...what can someone say about the Angel Rosary !!!! Just too good to be true....but that's my personal estimation,of course..i guess,the other members,could also add here their opinion. [happyface]
Most people fight for the possible.
I fight for the impossible!

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

I wrote her off about eight years ago and didn't really look back.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Her books have an incredibly cheesy, fluffy feel to them, which is probably why they leave you feeling childish. There's nothing particularly misleading or 'wrong' with them as such, but they're very shallow and dumbed down, kind of like a primary school text book (which I guess makes sense since their primary target demographic is teenagers with no experience in the occult or alternative spirituality). They might serve as a good introduction to witchcraft, but you'll need to move on to something heavier fairly quickly if it''s a path you're serious about following.

Check out Scott Cunningham's books, they're basically the same thing but with a much more serious and knowledgeable tone and a much more in depth treatment of the topic. He also has a strong emphasis on connecting with nature and the flexible nature of wicca, which I think very good for newcomers.

Wicca - A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner is his first book, and should be available at any decent occult bookstore. Failing that, you'll have no trouble getting it online :)
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Scott Cunningham is highly recommended by most folk,I think. [thumbup]
I would say also look at older books by authors such as the Farrars,Gardner himself and Doreen Valiente,for background.

There are so many authors out there,some are excellent,others are rubbish and some fall somewhere in between.I haven't read a lot of the more recent perspectives, so I can't be any more use than that above.

Silver Ravenwolf is not someone I 'd recommend,mostly for the same reasons as Rin gave above.

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

i think we've been confused here....if you are interested in the Angelic art,better read Dorren Virtue...that's if you are not that fan of Ravenwolf...Scott Cunningham is a different author,was one of Wicca's most prolific writers...i've read a couple of books of his as well as the encydlopedia...wonderfull work but has nothing to do with the Angelic art...other author i would suggest for this kind of art,Karen Paolino...i like her work very much.
Most people fight for the possible.
I fight for the impossible!

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Scott Cunningham is highly recommended by most folk,I think. [thumbup]
Indeed. It's a shame he was only with us for such a short time, imagine the contributions he could have made if he hadn't developed cancer so young :(
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Back to the original post though, I reckon the books of Silver Ravenwolf definitely have a place for getting people interested in magic at an early age though. Yes, they read somewhat young and fluffy, but thats what some people want from magical texts - they want magic thats all nice, happy and light in the same way other people want demons and darkness.

I personally dont like Silver Ravenwolfs books all that much myself, but I would recommend them to someone who wanted to follow a paradigm of pure fluffiness, or to someone who merely wanted to read basic entry level lightworking. Everyone has to start somewhere - theres nothing wrong with starting from the beginning rather than jumping right in to the deep end.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Lol, just realized this is an archive thread from 2005 :|

But yeah, I'd say it depends on the needs of the student. As a rule it's not something I'd recommend because the tone of her books would be as likely to turn someone off as raise interest, but they do sell quite well, particularly with teenagers, so there's obviously a demographic out there finding an appeal in her work.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Return to “Witchcraft”