Spell triggers - repost

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Spell triggers - repost

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: doh

PointyHat06-18-2004, 02:54 PM
What should I use in my Spell Triggers? I've been thinking about putting Magic Missile in them, but I haven't read any books on Spell Triggers, so I don't know if it's a good idea. Also, my friend said that if you use a spell that isn't of your school, it incurs a -2 penalty to its DC. Is that right? I'll be grateful if you could help me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sykskar06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Pound for pound you really shouldn't expend a whole troika of Magic Missiles into a trigger, what works best is a combination of the elements, this of course assuming magic to be an elemental 'stuff'.

Doom has had some favourable effects I've found, once while I was on a picnic I came up against a strong barbarian, my magics didn't get past his save until I used a spell trigger scroll I had infused with the power of three dooms, each lowering his save by 2.

Doom would work well because its a relatively low level magic... but really once your magical expertise grows you should include much more potent and destructive spells in your triggers and sequencers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sykskar06-18-2004, 03:21 PM
And no, thats a common mistake about spells not in your school of expertise.

I was raised an Invoker, for my sins, and whilst my evocation magiks are substantially more effective than your average generalist's, I don't seem to have any trouble with magics out of my school of specialty, thats an old wives tale.

Fr. Qim06-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Ummm, Pointy Hat you do know that this is not a forum devoted to RPG magic but rather to actual REAL WORLD occultism right? This thread should be placed into OFF TOPIC not Witchcraft.

PointyHat06-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Hahah, can it be that someone in the magic community has not read Justin Bauer's essay on the similarities between RPG magic and real life magic? As I assumed everyone here knew, he postulated that real life magic can be modelled in a way analogous with D&D magic (he even coined the terminology, such as "DC"). He has, in my opinion, advanced the science of magic. I prefer this method of approach, because I think the D&D terminology is easier to interpret than the complex classical scientific terminology.

Fr. Qim06-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Well, off hand I would say that I have a hard time seeing how D&D is a good model of actual magick but if you can point me at the essay I'll give it a read.

Rin Daemoko06-18-2004, 04:43 PM
This would be a great thread for discussion in Chaos Magick. D&D lore talks about multiple planes, which is something congruent to the Occult. I personally think the similarities end there, but if you could post something to prove your point, or at least to get us to think about this topic, it would be great.

I love thought experiments.

Quidgyboo06-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Agreed.

The Chaotes among us woud feel much more comfortable discussing magick in D&D terms. To do it in a non-Chaos fashion is actually a bit insulting to those of us who do not follow that path. Well, I find it so. I do not roll dice before casting a spell or slay the evil knights to gain the golden chalice, or whatever. I don't play D&D so I really have no idea:P

Return to “Witchcraft”