Herne +?

WildWise14
Forum Member
Forum Member

Herne +?

Post by WildWise14 »

I'm pretty set on the Antlered God, Cernnunos, as my patron deity. I want to incorporate a magical aspect into my goddess. I'm having difficulty. I know that I ultimately will choose, but does anyone have any ideas on who would compliment my patron god and why?

Thanks,

RSG

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Herne +?

Post by Nahemah »

How about Nemetona?

NEMETONA

(Anglo-Celtic, Continental) {she of the sacred grove} A Continental Deity revered during Roman times; her name may be cognate with the Irish Nemain, and in fact the Romans seem to have regarded her as having some connection with Mars.

Her name derives from the Gaulish word nemeton, meaning "sacred space". She is the guardian deity of all sacred places such as circles or magickal groves.

A shrine to her was erected at Bath, England, where she was depicted as seated and surrounded by three hooded figures and a ram. The three figures represent the Triple Goddess and the ram is a male fertility symbol often linked to Cernunnos, the Horned God. Call upon Nemetona to bless your circle and for bestowing protection on all your sacred spaces.

http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celti ... n-o-p.html

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Herne +?

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

I'd love to see more people take up Pacific Island god forms for witchy purposes. There are plenty of good cross-overs between European and Maori gods for instance, and using a Pacific Island god form has its benefits in that it adds a certain freshness to your practice.

For Herne I'd use Tane Mahuta, the god of the forest. By his side, I'd have Papatuanuku, or Mother Earth. Those two god forms combined equate to the standard Herne and Gaia of more traditional Paganism, and would easily fit right in, you'd just have to change some of your observances around a bit to fit more with what the Maori culture.

I dunno, probably not your cup of tea, but its an idea anyway.

Return to “Witchcraft”