Witchcraft: Theory and Practice?

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Witchcraft: Theory and Practice?

Post by Taiyounoryu »

I was rummaging through my mothers books (she has tons on anything from Satanism to Buudism)
And I came across something called Witchcraft: Theory and Practice by Ly De Angeles. Is this book any good? I decided to pick it up and read it just out of curiosity. For those who have read it, what's your opinion? I tend to stick to my comfort zones, so I figured it might be good to venture into something else for a little while.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Witchcraft: Theory and Practice?

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

I havent read it, but anything that includes theory AND practice has to be worth a look - I mean, worst case scenario; its complete bollocks and you end up putting it down and forgetting about it after the first fifty pages or so. The fact it uses the word 'witchcraft' instead of 'Wicca' is promising, and may mean its about traditional hedge witchcraft, in which case it could be a very good find indeed.

I'd say definitely give it a go, see what its like and let us all know how you go with it, if you dont mind - that way we might be inclined to look out for it ourselves to add it to our collections. [thumbup]

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

I'm a pretty quick reader and it's only like 250 pages long. I could probably do it in a day or two. I'll let you know what I think (:

Case, have you ever read A Witches Bible Compleat then? This was also another book that caught my eye that she had. Was gonna read through that one a little too.
I figure I know a good bit about energy work, but that's about it. So I figure if I want to be able to contribute on this forum I should expand my horizons a little. Anything on demonology/witchcraft that you could think of that's a good read?

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nope, I havent read that one either. Basically, the main bulk of my knowledge about hedge witchcraft comes from my grandmother, who was a traditional Yorkshire witch. She used to tell me stories about witchery from a very young age, all about the fey and the faerie folk, and then when I was a bit older she told me more stories that had been passed down to her by her grandmother. The witchcraft I know about is an oral tradition, and isnt kept in books - its a living thing, its about respecting the powers around you and knowing what you can and cannot do and when its best to do it. The nonsense that modern day forms of witchery try to impart into the heads of, for the most part, teenage girls amuses me no end, especially when it tries to pass itself off as an old tradition.

As for what I think you should read on witchcraft and demonology - read everything you can find, my friend. Dont just read the good stuff, read the bad stuff too. It doesnt hurt to start reading a book and then discard it when you decide you dont like it - nobody says you have to read a book to the end. I have tons of books that I bought on a whim, read the first three chapters and decided they were rubbish. If nothing else, reading the dross just makes you realise how good the really amazing books are when you find them.

If youre looking for a 'must read' on any branch of magic, then Id personally say not to rely on books, but to rely on the internet. Sacred Texts is a good place to start - it has a very good selection of esoteric material. If that doesnt suit you then a simple google search will bring back any number of sources that can be explored better and in full at your leisure. Speaking as someone who well remembers the annoyance of having to trawl through second hand bookshops for esoteric material, Id say use the internet for the powerhouse of information it represents.

I know this probably hasnt answered your question as you posed it, but I hope its opened further doors for you. If I just gave you a few titles then all that would have achieved is to get you thinking like I do, which would be pointless and not beneficial to you in the slightest. Trust me when I say that its so much better to find the answers to what is best through trial and error on your own part, as what I say is good might be complete bullshit in your eyes, and in me saying its excellent you would merely waste a few days of your life struggling through a text that doesnt benefit you at all.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

As for what I think you should read on witchcraft and demonology - read everything you can find, my friend. Dont just read the good stuff, read the bad stuff too. It doesnt hurt to start reading a book and then discard it when you decide you dont like it - nobody says you have to read a book to the end. I have tons of books that I bought on a whim, read the first three chapters and decided they were rubbish. If nothing else, reading the dross just makes you realise how good the really amazing books are when you find them.
Solid advice, even bad books have something to teach you, though it might be nothing other than how to seperate useful information from the BS.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Really now? That's kinda cool! Most people can't say they have a heritage like that Case. Well I wouldn't say pointing me in a direction would really influence me like that? I come from a very skeptical up bringing and I was raised think for myself. I come across things from all over that I don't like, then ditch lol. But since I my studies stay in one realm of things. So when I'm jumping to a subject, I'm just kinda feeling around in the dark. Doing it this way I think makes people learn it more an all. But damn lol.

I think it's an occult forum thing to give advice, but not as much as of a direction. Oddly enough other boards I've been on do too. It's kinda funny [razz]
Guess I'll start digging around. [happyface]

Oddly enough I really don't like the Witchcraft paradigm, the ritual magic is a little too much for me. I prefer something that's a little more mobile if that makes sense. I still have an interest I guess, and my gf has been hounding on me to look into it. Her base is older Celtic type witchcraft, and white/grey magicky stuffs (Can't say I know the term haha). It's very rare she does anything dark. I guess because she want's to learn about Vampires, I gotta learn something about witchcraft. [lol]

The things you have to do to keep your old lady happy [lol]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Is this Witches Bible the J and S Farrar one?

If so then it's worth reading.You will get insight into the Alexandrian perspective and these authors had an active interest in folklore too.I have two of their books,which I found quite informative,but my main interests do not lie in Wicca,so what you get out of it will depend on whether it's something you are into personally.I think it's worth looking at.

As usual Case's advice is good.I also remember the old days too and the long trudging through shops and libraries etc.to hunt down decent material. [grump]

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Yea I think that's the one. Looked kinda old, mom got it back in the 80's. Lol. Yea, my mom's hella attached to this book so it's gonna take a bit to convince her to let me borrow it for a few days. Lol. Hopefully I find something interesting. Yeaaa, hated life before we got cable and internet. Lol. Oh well, I'm online all day so it just gives me an excuse to be lazy :p

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Sorry,crossposted.
Oddly enough I really don't like the Witchcraft paradigm, the ritual magic is a little too much for me. I prefer something that's a little more mobile if that makes sense. I still have an interest I guess, and my gf has been hounding on me to look into it. Her base is older Celtic type witchcraft, and white/grey magicky stuffs (Can't say I know the term haha). It's very rare she does anything dark. I guess because she want's to learn about Vampires, I gotta learn something about witchcraft. [lol]
Here's the thing,Witchcraft is a hugely wide ranging paradigm,a metaparadigm even,maybe.Sounds like you might be conflating Wicca and Witchcraft,just a little there.

Wicca is very ritualistic,Gardner took a lot from the Golden Dawn and WMT,but Witchcrafts can be like this or not,depending on both the individual and the path style.Wicca is religious based witchery but Witchcraft itself is a practice not a dogma.

I don't engage in much ritualwise,or often and my home ground is in Norse Witchcrafts.

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Oh yea, I know witchcraft is the broader term of the two. It's very possible I got things confused, but I meant like.. I don't know if wicca has a strong celtic history? So I figured if not, she's practicing some other craft that has celtic routes. Like I said, as far as anything Witchcraft im in the dark mostly. Lol.

Norse Witchcrafts? I hate so sound like a nub, but what's major differences between that and say Wicca? Instead of nature you use Norse gods? <-- just a guess.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Taiyounoryu wrote:Oh yea, I know witchcraft is the broader term of the two. It's very possible I got things confused, but I meant like.. I don't know if wicca has a strong celtic history? So I figured if not, she's practicing some other craft that has celtic routes. Like I said, as far as anything Witchcraft im in the dark mostly. Lol.

Norse Witchcrafts? I hate so sound like a nub, but what's major differences between that and say Wicca? Instead of nature you use Norse gods? <-- just a guess.
Most Wicca has a fairly strong celtic influence, in terms of aescetics/imaggery, terminology, and to a lesser extent beliefs, deities, and so forth. Wicca was originally a combination of western ceremonial magic with what was known at the time about pre-christian european religion and a smattering of eastern influences.

That said, a lot of Wiccans supplant one pantheon for another, which is very doable in Wicca (it's pretty flexible in that way). Usually it's whichever pantheon they feel an affinity with, often directly or indirectly connected to their background and ancestry.

Celtic/Norse/Hellenic are probably the 3 most popular, though you see sub-groups (germanic v. scandinavian norse, or british v. irish celtic) and other varieties (kemetic, or egyptian wicca, pops up here and there, or those who combine wicca with african or south american belief systems).

And on top of that, you see a lot of wiccans who basically pick and choose depending on their needs at their time, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's done properly and with respect.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Oh yea, I know witchcraft is the broader term of the two. It's very possible I got things confused, but I meant like.. I don't know if wicca has a strong celtic history? So I figured if not, she's practicing some other craft that has celtic routes. Like I said, as far as anything Witchcraft im in the dark mostly. Lol.

Not newby at all,no worries.This could get to be a detailed and complex discussion anyway,lol.It usually does once Wicca gets mentioned. [shock2]

I work Sied and Spaecraft.I am a Spaewifey,in local vernacular terms.This is a Shamanic practice,with trance,dance,chemgnosis and incantation a major part of the workings.I often work outside in Sacred spaces,yes,but my focal point is not in substitution of nature for Gods,they work alongside one another well anyway. Ancestors are of equal importance and there are other entities involved also.

I have a whole host available to me ,lol,if I wish to call to them.I work mostly with Runespirits and plant related energies,vibration and sound and yes folks....
...the Runes can be oh so much more than just a divination and/or hexing tool,lol. [rolleyes] [a bit of general irony not directed at you or anyone in particular].

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

And sorry Rin,but your post is excellent for drawing some necessary distinctions [thumbup] ,so I 'm using it to illustrate something here:
Most Wicca has a fairly strong celtic influence, in terms of aescetics/imaggery, terminology, and to a lesser extent beliefs, deities, and so forth. Wicca was originally a combination of western ceremonial magic with what was known at the time about pre-christian european religion and a smattering of eastern influences.
This is very true of Initiatory [Coven based,aka 'original'] Wicca.

The below applies to Eclectic Wicca,which evolved out of Initiatory.
That said, a lot of Wiccans supplant one pantheon for another, which is very doable in Wicca (it's pretty flexible in that way). Usually it's whichever pantheon they feel an affinity with, often directly or indirectly connected to their background and ancestry.

Celtic/Norse/Hellenic are probably the 3 most popular, though you see sub-groups (germanic v. scandinavian norse, or british v. irish celtic) and other varieties (kemetic, or egyptian wicca, pops up here and there, or those who combine wicca with african or south american belief systems).
And I totally agree with this part.
And on top of that, you see a lot of wiccans who basically pick and choose depending on their needs at their time, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's done properly and with respect.
This is being clarified now,as I would rather avoid any chance of 'Bicca' breaking out.I doubt it will,but as it can take off out of almost nowhere.....pre emptive strike,lol.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Like Case,I was raised on a diet of folklore and legend.It runs concurrently here,alongside Christianity,as it's a cultural and societal thing,deeply ingrained in our collective psyches,though sadly,not as prevalent these days as it once was.

My grandmother was a pragmatic and practical woman,she had to be,in the days before free access healthcare.She raised her younger siblings after the premature deaths of her parents ,alongside my great uncle.They needed to know about plant medicines and herbs etc. as calling out a doctor wasn't an option most of the time,financially speaking.My Gran was RC but very Gnostic in outlook. From her line I have the Irish blood in me,but I get my Norse Ancestry from the Baltic shores and from a long ago intermingling of Clans and Northers .So I am a half breed,Gall-Ghàidheil if you will,even,lol.

I can often get a bit shirty,when I see Celtic/Norse mythology and History abused by fluffy types.[Shhh....Don't anyone mention Edain M cCoy or Ralph Blum...O oh... [mad]] Just saying,it grinds my gears as it's clear those who indulge haven't bothered to research or study, before running away with the faeries.

Protip:If you want to learn about Celtic/Norse myth,Folklore and/or History then go for Academic works and avoid Neo pagan authors altogether.
[or inded any Culture's background,the tip applies across the spectrum]

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Nahemah wrote:And sorry Rin,but your post is excellent for drawing some necessary distinctions [thumbup] ,so I 'm using it to illustrate something here:
This is very true of Initiatory [Coven based,aka 'original'] Wicca.

The below applies to Eclectic Wicca,which evolved out of Initiatory.

And I totally agree with this part.
This is being clarified now,as I would rather avoid any chance of 'Bicca' breaking out.I doubt it will,but as it can take off out of almost nowhere.....pre emptive strike,lol.
Lol don't worry, I'm not about to jump on you for making some clarifications [tongue2]
Protip:If you want to learn about Celtic myth,Folklore and/or History then go for Academic works and avoid Neo pagan authors altogether.
Very good point. I learned more about various pantheons from reading the mythology itself than I ever did from books written by modern pagans. Not to mention some of it is just damned good reading :D Personally I love the hell out of Celtic mythology, and have since before I even knew that neo-paganism was a thing. Sadly it's also one of the ones with the least solid information, since they had a largely oral tradition, which has left it open to all sorts of fluffy new age bullshit and outright fabrication, but the knowledge is out there if you dig for it.

I'm fond of the Norse tradition too, which has survived down the ages much better, but it doesn't strike quite the same chord with me that the Celtic mythos does.

What's also interesting is that the more you study these different cultures and mythologies, the more parallels you notice. When you think about it logically it's inevitable really, with the history of conquest and migration, but still interesting to pick up on.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Lol don't worry, I'm not about to jump on you for making some clarifications [tongue2]
Cool,I didn't think you would,well I hoped not,lol. [yay]

I saw it as a great way to get the differences sorted,before/in case of any passing Bicca warriors noticing the thread and directing their ire towards it.Some folk do their path a great disservice by their intolerance,I find,even though I do understand the frustrations they have sometimes,re: fluff,guff and whatever you want it's all good here types, etc.

Educate to inform,not persecute to stifle,is my motto on fluff,wherever possible of course; and I know others feel the same on that. [thumbup]
What's also interesting is that the more you study these different cultures and mythologies, the more parallels you notice. When you think about it logically it's inevitable really, with the history of conquest and migration, but still interesting to pick up on.
QFT.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

^ And a good motto it is.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taiyounoryu wrote: I think it's an occult forum thing to give advice, but not as much as of a direction. Oddly enough other boards I've been on do too. It's kinda funny [razz]
Guess I'll start digging around. [happyface]
Okay, well if you put it like that then heres a couple of pointers to get you started.

Read everything in this folder: http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/index.htm

Then branch out into Zoroastrianism, because its fascinating and will get you seriously thinking: http://www.sacred-texts.com/zor/index.htm

Zoroastrianism will also get you primed for any one of the texts from the final folder I'll suggest for now - these are the background texts that anyone interested in a study of the esoteric traditions should look into: http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/index.htm

So yeah, not so much demonology and witchcraft, but thats what Id suggest to anyone looking for a 'must read' of occult wisdom, and even then its just a starter.

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Thanks Case, something to get me going is all I need. (:
God, I have a lot of material to go threw. Thank god I'm not in school anymore and have alot of free time. Lol.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

You may find the Zoroastrianism section a bit hard going, and it is a religion so you might wonder why Ive included it, but its there because it was so influential on all the Abrahamic religions, and therefore has great influence on the Western mystery traditions - schools of thought such as demonology. If youre looking for something further to read after you get through the Zoroastrian section, and youre interested in comparative religions, then check out Manichaeism also - that religion had a massive amount to do with the group of people we call 'Gnostics', who themselves had a huge impact on magic as a whole, and who we get the term 'gnosis' from.

Like Ive said before, try to just read as much as you can - you dont need to read a book from cover to cover, you can read a couple of chapters and then give up if it doesnt interest you, what matters is that you explore and maybe find things that tickle your fancy.

Return to “Witchcraft”