Witchcraft "starter" kit question

Nepthys
Forum Member
Forum Member
Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Witchcraft "starter" kit question

Post by Nepthys »

Deart Occultforum community,

I am preparing a Christmas/Yule gift for a friend of mine that used to practice a non-religious, "white" witchcraft in her adolescence. Because of the altar in my room and various things I have done for her, she has routinely mentioned that she wants to get back "into" it. Because I am not entirely sure she is serious about delving deep into it, I have made it clear that I am not willing to teach her according to my tradition(s). However, I am willing to nudge her in a direction where I think she will thrive for as long as she chooses to study without attracting too much astral attention to herself. That being said, I have NEVER been very deep into "white" witchcraft or Wicca or traditional European witchcraft. While I know the basics of what would go into a 'starter' kit for a Wiccan or someone of a similar tradition, to give just a nudge in the general direction, I'm not too sure.

I'm wanting everything to be able to fit into a standard cigar box, so I've already procured candles of varying colors for her (several white, a few pink, green, yellow, red, blue, and purple) and am putting together some herb samples from my own collection, but beyond that I am not really sure what to give her. I'm also going through some book titles and researching them to include with the kit (the book, obviously, isn't going to be included within the box). Other than candles and herbs, what would you guys recommend? I don't want to shoehorn her into any particular tradition, and I'm already having to do a LOT of research into which herbs I'm giving her (my tradition has different associations for herbs and the like) but beyond that I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Witchcraft "starter" kit question

Post by Ramscha »

It might be a little bit of a cliché but how about a cauldron?
Additionally you might include a fire bowl, a chalice and maybe also a ritual sickle oder ritual knife, but try to get something handy which can cut small wood branches without problem.

As books I would recommend "The Magic of the elements" book 1-5 written by Ulrike Ascher. It was quite an interesting collection of books and not that expensive, 20 euros for each is not that much. It gives for the beginning a very good overview about how to work with elements and has some good points for work with your own personality. Her focus is explicite on white magic, black magic is evil and carries bad karma (in her opinion). I personally liked some of her points regarding the personality training and introduction rituals for the elements, however, the author itself is far to white headed for my taste, if you know what I mean [crazy]

Only problem is that I didn´t found any of her books in english so far but maybe you have more luck.

Ramscha
bye bye

kiss_lamia
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by kiss_lamia »

Well when i started back in the day i read this book by teresa moorey was pretty good for an introduction into the craft. its quite an old book but you should be able to score a second hand copy for a fair price :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witchcraft-Begi ... 0340737573

or an apparant updated version but still pretty old loool

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mobius-Guid ... b_title_bk

Nepthys
Forum Member
Forum Member
Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Nepthys »

Ramscha wrote:It might be a little bit of a cliché but how about a cauldron?
Additionally you might include a fire bowl, a chalice and maybe also a ritual sickle oder ritual knife, but try to get something handy which can cut small wood branches without problem.
Didn't even think of that. lol. Luckily there's a shop not too far from here that has the baby cauldrons for like...super cheap all the time. Not sure about the ritual knife. I'm trying to keep it roughly in the $25-30 range (excepting the book).
Ramscha wrote:As books I would recommend "The Magic of the elements" book 1-5 written by Ulrike Ascher. It was quite an interesting collection of books and not that expensive, 20 euros for each is not that much. It gives for the beginning a very good overview about how to work with elements and has some good points for work with your own personality. Her focus is explicite on white magic, black magic is evil and carries bad karma (in her opinion). I personally liked some of her points regarding the personality training and introduction rituals for the elements, however, the author itself is far to white headed for my taste, if you know what I mean [crazy]

Only problem is that I didn´t found any of her books in english so far but maybe you have more luck.

Ramscha
If they're in Russian I can translate them for her. But I'm assuming they're German. That'll be a problem. [tongue] Also, 20 euro a piece translates to about ~$35 a piece if my conversion math is accurate and correct. Having been out of work with a broken foot for over a month makes any collection at that price out of reach. [grump]
kiss_lamia wrote:Well when i started back in the day i read this book by teresa moorey was pretty good for an introduction into the craft. its quite an old book but you should be able to score a second hand copy for a fair price :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witchcraft-Begi ... 0340737573

or an apparant updated version but still pretty old loool

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mobius-Guid ... b_title_bk
I believe I've seen that at a second hand bookstore in town. I'll have to run over there again and see if it's still there and flip through it. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Return to “Witchcraft”