Books about the history of witchcraft

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Books about the history of witchcraft

Post by Desecrated »

I know this is a pretty boring subject, but it's for my library, So I want to add a solid collection of Books about the history of witchcraft.

So far I've decided to get all the Montague Summers books.

Marilynne K. Roach book about the salem trial seems to be the best in it's field.

The Truth About Wicca and Witchcraft
av James Aten

The Magic Arts in Celtic Britain
av Lewis Spence

Witchcraft Today - 60 Years On
av Trevor (EDT) Greenfield

God of the Witches
av Margaret Alice Murray

So what am I missing?
Any must have books about this subject?

DoctorDopamine
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Books about the history of witchcraft

Post by DoctorDopamine »

Buckland's Complete Book About Witchcraft has a history lesson and a handful of facts thrown throughout the whole book.
As if.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

DoctorDopamine wrote:Buckland's Complete Book About Witchcraft has a history lesson and a handful of facts thrown throughout the whole book.
I have to buy a new version of that, the one I have now is fro the 80's and starting to fall apart.

I'm also going to get scott cunningham and more wicca writers later on, but right now I want pre-wicca witchcraft.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

The Triumph Of the Moon, by R.Hutton goes from around 1800 to modern day?

He has also written several Historical books regarding Paganism in Britain and on Druidry and so on.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Nahemah wrote:The Triumph Of the Moon, by R.Hutton goes from around 1800 to modern day?

He has also written several Historical books regarding Paganism in Britain and on Druidry and so on.
thanks, I'm adding that to the list and bookmarking the rest of his books.

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by astrolabgoz9881 »

Are there any books bout the history of Continental Witchcraft? Like continental europe that kinda stuff? [lol]
And Jesvs said: Go into those peepz...

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

astrolabgoz9881 wrote:Are there any books bout the history of Continental Witchcraft? Like continental europe that kinda stuff? [lol]
Are you thinking about European witchcraft that isn't British?

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

Ofcourse, well I learned the expression "Continental scum" from British. [wink]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

astro, behave, you naughty boy. [lol]

Any particular European or other Continental culture or country of interest to you?

I can go look, but a bit more info might be helpful. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

@Nahemah
Particularly German (but no Dutch hexcraft) and French. But give it a kick: find me resources on Balkans, Greece, Crete n Cyprus I nominate you 4 award in that case. ;) Genuine, underground stuff passed among people as recidives of pre-Christian setting.

@Desecrated
1&2 r good stuff, 3rd is rather historical yet added to my to do list. Aradia, Stregheria hmmm lot of it's been covered by my Wicca education.

Thanks ;)

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

Well the first one is the only one that fits my request, yet it is well known 2 me as a bunch of pseudoinformational rubbish.
I din't request Slavic n Russian tho.
I have to make it shorter... You won't be able to
find me actual resources for Balkans or Greece, neither actual German and French (apart from the case of less traditional Western Occult resources)
for Witchcraft. Generally, European Traditional stuff is preserved under disguise and secret. As far for the SE Europe where I know the terrain you won't be able to get anything or learn anything if you don't speak their archaic dialects on profound level.
I think it's the same with old French and German witch families, they won't give away a single spell or prayer unless you are part of their culture.

Also as for Balkans, you couldn't really put them in the same box with Slavs. Those later Yugoslavs since 1918 were known as Illyrians until then. Still they are ethnically different from Russians and Balts. They inhabit West Balkans, while North is Hungarian that had heavy Byzantine-Serbian influence in middle ages never mind, and the East is Daco-Thracian, South is Greek, however there are Albanians that are claiming the Illyrian heritage for themselves these days tho they were part of Serbian Orthodox church until Middle Ages... and some claim they are ethnically Azerbaijani (came from Caucasus).

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Jan Fries has done a lot of research on German shamanism and witchcraft. He is probably the best modern European occult writer just now and I really recommend his books.

The reason I included both Russians, Slavic and surrounding areas is because they are often related. And It's incredible hard to find an entire book about such specific subject that you are looking for, so one often have to read several books about the same subject and then piece things together yourself.

astrolabgoz9881
Forum Member
Forum Member

Desecrated wrote:Jan Fries has done a lot of research on German shamanism and witchcraft. He is probably the best modern European occult writer just now and I really recommend his books.
I am going to take a look! Thanks.
The reason I included both Russians, Slavic and surrounding areas is because they are often related. And It's incredible hard to find an entire book about such specific subject that you are looking for, so one often have to read several books about the same subject and then piece things together yourself.
As for Slavic I recommend Rodnovery as resources! The fact is that there is a concept about witchcraft among Slavs, as well West Balkans for sum reason the concept of Wolfsblood. You can either be a born witch, or be initiated through near death experience! You can't become a witch by learning among Slavs. You need to have Wolfsblood that is passed directly from Ancestors and Gods. Also you have 2 have Slavic ancestors or your ancestors will have to convert and then they have to pass you Wolfsblood.
http://modrodnovery.com/of-wolves-and-d ... itchcraft/

Return to “Witchcraft”