Herbalists - Do you eat your herbs?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Herbalists - Do you eat your herbs?

Post by Desecrated »

Another one of those "no answer is right or wrong"

Do you eat the same herbs that you are working with or do you keep them separate?
Have you started eating some herbs/spices because of their properties in magic?

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Herbalists - Do you eat your herbs?

Post by Haelos »

My altar doubles as a spicerack.
Certain herbs I ONLY use in magickal practices, certain herbs I only eat. And there are several that are mixed between the two.
I started using a few herbs in magick and actually liked how they tasted. I do very little herbalism anymore (unless you count actual cooking), so most of my plant matter goes towards eating around here. There are, however, several spices and herbs that I don't eat, mostly due to a dislike in taste.

A lot of the plants I eat have similar magickal and proven medicinal qualities, so what started out as me eating them for taste and health benefits, probably spills into my practice overall.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Haelos wrote:My altar doubles as a spicerack.
Certain herbs I ONLY use in magickal practices, certain herbs I only eat. And there are several that are mixed between the two.
I started using a few herbs in magick and actually liked how they tasted. I do very little herbalism anymore (unless you count actual cooking), so most of my plant matter goes towards eating around here. There are, however, several spices and herbs that I don't eat, mostly due to a dislike in taste.

A lot of the plants I eat have similar magickal and proven medicinal qualities, so what started out as me eating them for taste and health benefits, probably spills into my practice overall.
That feels like a very organic approach.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Most of your herbs and spices aren't food grade. They're medicinal grade. A very large percentage of your kitchen herbs have antimicrobial properties for keeping your food from spoiling. That they taste good is a bonus.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Suba
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Suba »

Blessings Desecrated,

Smell them, feel them, taste and listen to them, look at all their unique qualities, and sometimes, inhaling them as well: either on the coal or in my pipe.

Having said that, I would never intentionally consume anything that was detrimental or poisonous to my health. And if the truth be told, I don’t work with those unhealthy substances anyways.

In my experience, every way in which we experience an energy deepens our understandings and relationship with that energy.

Blessings Be,
Yogisuba
Life is to quick to be in a hurry: Slow down and Enjoy it!

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Desecrated wrote:Another one of those "no answer is right or wrong"

Do you eat the same herbs that you are working with or do you keep them separate?
Have you started eating some herbs/spices because of their properties in magic?
I grow them myself in my garden and yes they get harvested, cooked, eaten, smoked, used in tinctures, employed in magick and divination etc. It all depends on the plant and how it wants to work for me [wink]
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Return to “Witchcraft”