worshiping a bodhisattva?

Religious rules and laws, structures and ontologies.

Niponic
Forum Member
Forum Member

worshiping a bodhisattva?

Post by Niponic »

Hi. I never really worshipped a saint or anything of the sort. but my country is very catolic. I never really found a saint that interested me. All the stories sound the same.
I only recently heard about something that went of in 1963, regarding Thich Quang Duc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Quang_Duc , a budhist monk (now a bodhisattva) who caught himself on fire and died for a great cause. For some reason i have the need to worship and his figure makes me feel safe, it transmits me peace and patience.

I dont know if you are allowed to worship bodhisattvas? And i know it sounds probably morbid wanting to worship a martyr, especially one who caught himself on fire. But is that such a bad thing? I think what he did was amazing, and considering his heart survived the fire and a cremation.. wow. [pray]

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: worshiping a bodhisattva?

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

Dear friend...you have to follow your needs....you say that it's the first time that you feel safe and need to worship a saint...if this is what you need,don't ask anyone...ask only your self...will this commitment fulfill you?As long as you do no harm,you are free to follow your heart's desire.
Most people fight for the possible.
I fight for the impossible!

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

Yeah,Lolh is right
If you give me the name of any specific bodhisattvas from antiquity, I can tell you more. Ancient Bodhisattvas ( Bô Tát) are usually tailored to focus on certain characteristics.

Yours Truly Đỗ Đại Vệ

wagthedog
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by wagthedog »

What do you wish to revere the man's burnt corpse, the life he did or the idea of what his actions represented ?

JRFN
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by JRFN »

Worship is anathema to Buddhist theology. You respect the elders for the dharma they can bring to your life and the guidance they can provide you. There isn't worship, but instead work to know yourself and free yourself from suffering. If you are drawn to this bodhisattva's work and ideals then by all means continue his work and give him respect. Worship doesn't make sense as a term in his case.

Return to “Theologies”