There is no freedom, like freedom from the ego.

Religious rules and laws, structures and ontologies.

Vulpecula
Forum Member
Forum Member

There is no freedom, like freedom from the ego.

Post by Vulpecula »

Of course, holding this "belief", is a thought which is a product of a series of environmental conditions which may impose a belief upon my true self, but does not. ;)

Here is a close to 2 hour info.. tainment thing on losing the ego. Please watch it if you have the time.
Linkie, streaming video (Video linkers do not work in all countries, for me, the second link from sharesix worked well. You can find the video elsewhere)

Code: Select all

The Pandora Project Are You Ready to Awaken: The Pandora Project - A film about breaking free from the ego and awaken to your Self In the captivating film 'The Pandora Project' we journey deep into our minds to search for the part of the mind that is responsible for all the pain, misery and suffering in our lives and in the world - the ego. We get close and personal with dedicated seekers, we investigate how we become the persons that we are, and we receive words of wisdom from Eckhart Tolle, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Adyashanti, Dr Kenneth Wapnick and the Dalai Lama. Join us on the greatest journey you will ever take - from a painful life with the ego to the glorious life of your true Self. Are you ready to awaken?
The German/ Canadian spiritual teacher, motivational speaker, and writer Eckhart Tolle writes about the ego in his book A New Earth.
"The extent of the ego's inability to recognize itself and see what it is doing is staggering and unbelievable. To become free of the ego is not really a big job but a very small one. All you need to do is be aware of your thoughts and emotions – as they happen. This is not really a 'doing' but an alert 'seeing'. In that sense, it is true that there is nothing you can do to become free of the ego. When that shift happens, which is the shift from thinking to awareness, an intelligence far greater than the ego's cleverness begins to operate in your life. Emotions and even thoughts become depersonalized through awareness. Their impersonal nature is recognized. There is no longer a self in them. They are just human emotions, human thoughts. Your entire personal history, which is ultimately no more than a story, a bundle of thoughts and emotions, becomes of secondary importance and no longer occupies the forefront of your consciousness. It no longer forms the basis for your sense of identity. You are the light of Presence, the awareness that is prior to and deeper than any thoughts and emotions."
Eckhart Tolle:
I couldn’t live with myself any longer. And in this a question arose without an answer: who is the ‘I’ that cannot live with the self? What is the self? I felt drawn into a void. I didn’t know at the time that what really happened was the mind-made self, with its heaviness, its problems, that lives between the unsatisfying past and the fearful future, collapsed. It dissolved.
Death of the Self-identity
It is clear here that the ego or self which is annihilated in ego death is not the ego of depth psychology and it is not the actual self. It is specifically the self-identity. The death of this identity merely means that there is no barrier or resistance to the Presence of Essence.
The Point of Existence, p. 524
The Perspective of Unity Does Not Recognize Ego Death
Experiencing this unity reveals to us that life is beautiful. Prior to this, when you experience yourself moving from the state of the physical or of the personality to the state of the essential or of the boundless dimensions, there is the feeling that life is a problem. The best option seems to be to get away from life, and one may long to disappear or die. From the perspective of unity, there is no such thing as dying, nor of being reborn. There is no such thing as ego death, and no such thing as enlightenment either, since you are already the unity. This is the state of affairs all the time and always -- before you develop an ego, when it is dissolving, and after you are dissolved. All those parts are the unity itself, and so you are not going anywhere.
Facets of Unity, p. 88
Experience of Complete Ego Death
Beyond this experience, all light disappears, all awareness ceases. There is no perception of anything; there is simply no experience. When the soul is completely concentrated on the absolute there is nothing to perceive, for to perceive total darkness is not to perceive. Light is the awareness that arises out of this total darkness, revealing that the absolute is prior to light, awareness, and consciousness. This experience of cessation is the experience of complete ego death, for it is going beyond the world of manifestation, beyond even awareness of the world of manifestation. There is no awareness of self or soul, for there is no awareness at all, without this being unconsciousness or sleep. When awareness looks out again, which we experience as the return of awareness, the manifest universe reappears. With the return of awareness the logos appears as the displaying of time and space, and all the phenomena of the universe. We are here the absolute, the luminous night, witnessing appearance arising within it, out of it, but we still experience ourselves as the immense stillness and stupendous silence underlying all existence and all appearance. We feel fresh and clear, as if our consciousness has dipped into the cleansing energies of the source, and returned renewed and rejuvenated. This is similar to the rejuvenation we experience after deep sleep, except we are here clear and awake, bright and lucid.
Inner Journey Home, p. 382
Soul's Experience of Disintegration and Dissolution
To follow our example, when the soul begins to see the limitation of structure and experiences herself as presence, the structure begins to reveal its nature as a mental construct characterized by past conditioning, ideas, memories, etc. The soul begins to experience an inner emptiness, a meaninglessness, a dread of falling apart, and terror of death and annihilation. These experiences of falling apart or being annihilated actually come to pass as the structures dissolve. The soul experiences disintegration and dissolution, disorientation, and a loss of identity; she feels lost and despondent. These existential crises are actually elements of some stages of working through ego structures that then lead to deeper realizations of true nature, moving to timelessness and formlessness.
Inner Journey Home, p. 231
I could easily go on, the experience is.. inexplicable. I feel at peace, I see everything, I am at one with everything. My life will never be the same, I am happy in a way I never knew existed.

:D
°I have left this forum, or was driven out if you will. You will not get a reply to messages or posts°
° Vulpecula °

Vulpecula
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: There is no freedom, like freedom from the ego.

Post by Vulpecula »

And after ego death? Linkie to the following
So You’ve Experienced Ego Death. Now What?
Posted on January 11th, 2011 by Gad Asas

We covered ego death and what it is in “To Become Everything. What Ego Death Means and Why It’s Important” but we didn’t cover the after effects of ego death. There are multiple phases post-ego death and there isn’t a lot of help for people going through those phases.

However, we’re here to draw out some guidelines that should help you if you’re in these phases. Ego death may be instant but the results are not. How you handle your initial ego death will affect your life in the long haul.
The Next Day

After your initial experience you will still feel at awe. You may be confused, in shock and probably jaded. Your brain is quite tired and will be for at least 2 days after a strong experience. Right now, ego death is on your mind but you may not know what to think of it.

You’re thrown right back from experiencing enlightenment itself to your daily routine once again. It may be difficult to do these tasks without wondering if they are worth doing. At this point, however, you should relax and let your brain regenerate its resources that have been depleted by the psychedelic.

Contemplation on life, especially personal, starts to get very strong as we move forward into the first phase. Phases last about a week or two on average; however, some people will stretch or minimize phases depending on their personality.
The First Phase

The first phase starts off with a question like, “How was that even possible? Am I going crazy?” as you will be noticing that life is no longer the same. You will see your life without an ego for the first time and you may not enjoy what you see.

This is the phase where you are trying to blend what you just experienced into your daily life and you probably can’t do it for the majority of your daily routine. You might be doubting the experience itself, you might be thinking “it was just drugs” because, now that you’re sober, you’re “back to your logical being”.

Please keep in mind, however, that the ego death was caused due to those “logical thoughts”. Without those thoughts you would not have had to experience ego death, for you would have been ego-less. Also keep in mind that psychedelics are not just drugs — which you already know, yet you may wish to think that they are. You may also question your sanity, and believe that you are now insane.

There is also another side to this phase: the obsession with the experience. You may experience one side and go onto phase 2, but it is most common to experience both sides. You are divided into two pieces here; on one end, you wish to dismiss what has happened so you can get on with your life. On the other side you are drawn into it and wish to explore more.

Which side do you choose? Which way will you go? An interesting aspect to ego death is that the interest will stick with you for eternity. You will always look back on it, years ahead and beyond. Why? It is an enchanting experience and you do not let go of those.

So what do you do here, in the first phase? We had to learn that it was best to choose both. You must remain sober in daily life but you mustn’t let doubt, and thus your ego, reclaim its place inside of you. Accept your insanity, for insanity is natural sanity. Think about that one.

You are able to feel when your ego is presently active in your body. It is the rising feeling of judgement, anger, confusion, etc. It rides your emotional waves so that it can make decisions for you. A trick that may work for you is to focus on the left side of your body, is it tense? Then the ego is active. Simply push it down with your energy and keep it in place.

You can also concentrate on that area and use key words like “down”, “stop” or “cancel”. These words have obvious definitions and the ego will oblige for you are its master.

To end the first phase you must accept the fact that you are no longer the same as everybody else. You are now different because of what you’ve experienced. This does not make you superior, this does not make you wiser. This only makes you different.

You must accept this and continue on into the second phase, which is the reconstruction of your life in an organized fashion to meet your newfound needs.
The Second Phase

Here is the integration of the experience into your daily life. Now that you’ve accepted your newfound insanity you are most likely exhausted from all of the racing thoughts you had in the first phase. Your brain is coming back down to Earth and you are ready to start your new life — nervously.

The second phase is about actually attempting to merge the experience, and maybe the lifestyle, into your current life. You may be considering burning bridges or simply starting over. Write out all of your thoughts and ideas in this phase, and look them over in a few months time. See if they still apply to you then. Rash moves right now are inadvisable.

This is a relatively calm phase, but you may slip back into phase one if you are not careful. All you have to do is move forward and try not to be drawn into questioning your own sanity, or having any self-doubt about the experience. Self-doubt is the only thing that can get in your way right now.

From here, your life is your oyster as you make your choices carefully. This is a tightrope between doubt and confidence. Stay confident, although that is easier said than done.

To stay confident you must constantly watch your actions for the remainder of this phase. You must be on top of your self at all times in order to make the choices that you want to make so that you may redefine who you are. It will get tiring, but do not lighten up until you know that it is at least relatively automatic. This process is usually 2 to 3 weeks.

When the going gets rough, as they say, look into the mirror and remind yourself of why you are doing this. It is because you saw the truth and you want to live with the truth, rather than ignoring the truth. You want something out of yourself so you must take it.
The Third Phase

The third phase is simply the end of the second phase and it becomes very easy and automatic to be what you wish to be. You are more in control of where you go from here, for you have a wider choice to either fail or succeed now.

Your curiosity will peak again and you will revisit the psychedelic realm multiple times but this time, with full confidence as you know what to expect and you now have the knowledge to not let you question yourself.

The third phase is for when you figure out a way to integrate the truth into your life, and you’re living it fully. You know that the journey will not end, for it only has a beginning. You know the truth and you will most likely teach people of what you know — although not many will understand, you still get enjoyment from repeating the truth.

You will be in this phase for the rest of your life with many different subphases of the journeys that you take within this phase. Enjoy your life, remember the truth and be conservative about your lifestyle choices. Keep yourself happy, healthy and well-put together.
°I have left this forum, or was driven out if you will. You will not get a reply to messages or posts°
° Vulpecula °

godsent
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by godsent »

Wow! I love this topic. Never heard of this movie and definetly going to watch it! There are many movies that help us to recognize ego activity, and how the thouths affects our lives: the secret, the shadow effect, there's also a movie with Tolle on a stage(forgot the name).

DawningSun777

Post by DawningSun777 »

To keep it short; I think ego death / freedom is impossible. It is like selflessness vs selfishness, there is a misunderstanding.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I tend to agree with you DawningSun777.I personally,think it's a misapplication by Western thinkers of an Eastern doctrine.

And,ironically enough,for someone who was claiming to be Ego free,the OP made a rather Egotistically dramatic flounce from the forum,without any prior attempts to clear any misunderstandings or forum related problems they alleged they had experienced here,either through mediation or staff involvement.
However they did make sure their flounce was publically announced for all to see.Ahem... [crazy]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

DawningSun777

Post by DawningSun777 »

I noticed this as well haha. I think the topic might warrant it's own thread, perhaps I'll do the honors [greensmile]

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

If the 'little fox' has become one with 'everything' then he is one with the Occult Forum, too (since the Forum is part of 'everything'), so he has not left us . . . does anyone have a disinfectant?

**** NOT INTENDED AS BULLYING OR ANYTHING NEGATIVE, UNPLEASANT OR MEAN -
LET'S ALL HOLD HANDS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRUppJ2TIc *****

The whole point of Eastern systems like Raja Yoga and Kashmir Shaivism is for the ego to realize what it really is, not to deny it exist, and thus to have control over the sheaths of the ego such as emotions, intellect and even the body. My understanding is that it is Buddhism which says that Enlightenment is realizing that you don't exist.

http://www.amazon.com/Series-Lessons-Ra ... =Raja+yOGA

http://www.amazon.com/Consciousness-Is- ... everything

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Enlightenme ... ightenment

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rauðolfr »

DawningSun777 wrote:To keep it short; I think ego death / freedom is impossible. It is like selflessness vs selfishness, there is a misunderstanding.
the western definition of ego is in reality a nonsense; the division is an artificial one, that comes from observing the behaviours of others from the outside, and not from looking within. Fighting aspects of the self is a recipe for loops of suffering, stagnation and even madness.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... 16&t=35483

We have a shiny new thread for further discussion of this subject in general.I'll join in later too,after work. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Return to “Theologies”