Gaia and self balance of the nature

Religious rules and laws, structures and ontologies.

Calicifer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Gaia and self balance of the nature

Post by Calicifer »

Hello again. I was thinking about Gaia. First, this is not limited to people who believe in this "entity" and I mean it by vague terms. I'm interested specifically hearing from those who believe in natural balance and lets include everyone: people who believe in karma, rule of thrice and similar stuff. ;)

My question is, is human extermination is imminent? Starting off strong, but this idea is growing inside me. According to karma rules, human race in the whole deserves karmic backlash and it is not something light. We burn, we kill. Human influence on this earth is strictly negative. I'm more interested from paganistic perspective. Gaia concept believes that entire Earth is self regulated. It is common to find disbalance, like if one species invade another territory and has no natural predators, it will produce to insane numbers before being cut down by introductions of new threats. Planet itself seems to successfully regulated such incursions thousands if not millions of times and any incursion and disbalance somehow do not cause the collapse of eco system. This system for me seems to have supernatural element, of always finding the answer and never collapsing, despite human arrogance and understanding how fragile and inter connected everything is. Even such very rare and catastrophic events as lighting igniting the forest and causing unlimited damage in scope to be repaired as child's play. Chernobylis was a boom for life! Land animals crossing the seas and get thrown on the islands? All of the are full of life and isolated ecosystems not ever once had shown of prosperity followed by collapse.

This is where comes to humans. Climate change is not caused by us, but rather natural processes. Our signature is rather pathetic and we barely contributed for it (it is off topic and I would prefer not to be distracted). I do believe that if Gaia is real then that it acts in very slow manner. We are pathetic little beings, we cannot comprehend life and how shallow and insignificant our lifespans are compared to anything. We blaze through our lives so fast that it is not even worth a note compared on the Earth's scale while on the galactic scale, Earth's existence and entire life will barely be worth taking a note in itself. This is why I believe that vengeance will come gradually and that we already are seeing affects of it. I'm happy if it is coming just by climate change since even if catastrophic events are scientific fact at this point, I might live my life as a happy little leech since humans will try to ignore everything until it becomes unbearable. I'm more concerned about other weaponary which Gaia can unleash. For example, ebola is not only more active than ever, it is quickly mutating. Entire thing with diseases is that we are extraordinary lucky not to be casually wiped out by random new black death. Our abusive of antibiotics had led that microorganisms had largely adapted to it and our one secret weapon had become nothing more than piss in the wind. We are defenseless.

To be honest, my opinion is that we won't have to suffer from Gaia. We are too stupid, immature, arrogant and ill-disciplined as the species. With first sign of real trouble, we will nuke each other to the orbit. For the planet itself it is just a piss in the wind. Earth will be happy to eradicate its human presence and maybe allow it to start from scratch. Life will easily continue. We on the other hand are of questionable worth. At best, age of strife awaits us. Our golden age is at the end and the future looks grim. I'm really happy that I might just escape everything still. I know that I will enter into this age, but I hope that at least I will die before it gets really bad. :)

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Gaia and self balance of the nature

Post by Rin »

It seems like you're considering humans as something somehow separate or apart from Earth as a system (Gaia), which personally I would consider a mistake. We're intertwined with the planet, with the ecosystem and with the environment as much as any other species of flora or fauna, for better or worse.

I would argue that the karmic backlash is already in effect - everyone is suffering from the effect of humanity's current lack of balance with the wider environment, in the form of pollution, in the form of being forced to live in disconnected urban settings which allow extreme artificial imbalance to be created away from the self correcting wider ecosystem, in the form of less exposure to the healing effect of natural energies and the subsequent replication of the imbalance of the global environment within our own bodies (as above, so below), etc etc.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Calicifer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Gaia and self balance of the nature

Post by Calicifer »

You had misunderstood me. I consider humans as part of eco system, but as someone who went out of control. I do think also that backlash is already in the effect.

I do view this as sweating of the planet. It is the first symptom that Earth is sick. Abnormal weather conditions will soon follow. Furthermore, I still cannot wait sea levels to raise. I do not know why humans choose to be blind to obvious scientific facts or is it just me who is confused?

It is strange to sheer for our own "eradication". To be happy that millions or billions will die, but fair is fair. We cannot exist like we do now.

Return to “Theologies”