How to Deal With Less Intelligent People

Exploring the Philosophical side of the Occult.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

How to Deal With Less Intelligent People

Post by Desecrated »

I constantly fail at this, so if anybody has any more tips and tricks, please post them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Less-I ... ent-People

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: How to Deal With Less Intelligent People

Post by Nahemah »

Ooft. Nice article, not.

Perhaps realising that intellect is not the same as intelligence might be a start?

Ignorance can be educated and the article gets some things right, at least, in that direction.

Patience, as suggested in this article and also the realisation that emotional intelligence is just as important as intellectual education, might be another handy way to think about it all too.

I've found personally, that most folk I've met who believe themselves to be intellectually superior, are in fact suffering from Dunning Kruger syndrome.

IMMV, of course.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Nahemah wrote:Ooft. Nice article, not.

Perhaps realising that intellect is not the same as intelligence might be a start?

Ignorance can be educated and the article gets some things right, at least, in that direction.

Patience, as suggested in this article and also the realisation that emotional intelligence is just as important as intellectual education, might be another handy way to think about it all too.

I've found personally, that most folk I've met who believe themselves to be intellectually superior, are in fact suffering from Dunning Kruger syndrome.

IMMV, of course.
The same techniques can be used when dealing with less emotionally intelligent people as well. Or less Interpersonal Intelligence or less Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence.
Basically, you'll run across people who are less capable than you in some aspect and this article helps you to deal with them.

Also, being able to control and manipulate people around you is on of the basic principle of left hand path magick so it's not like this is outside the reach of an occult forum.

The Dunning Kruger effect is not a syndrome, it's a cognitive bias and we can experience it in many different way. Like thinking that we are a better driver than the others on the road. Or thinking that it is okay to insult others just because they are insulting. Or thinking that you are better than people because they are not as political correct as you are. Or accusing other members for trolling when they express an opinion you don't share.
It's a fascinating phenomenon.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I guess some people may find this useful, but in my opinion, these are just the basics of not being an asshat. I've known many stupid people who have enriched my life by the quality of their character.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

...Like thinking that we are a better driver than the others on the road. Or thinking that it is okay to insult others just because they are insulting. Or thinking that you are better than people because they are not as political correct as you are. Or accusing other members for trolling when they express an opinion you don't share...
At the risk of splitting hairs:

syndrome
ˈsɪndrəʊm/Submit
noun

a group of symptoms which consistently occur together, or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.
"a rare syndrome in which the production of white blood cells is damaged"

a characteristic combination of opinions, emotions, or behaviour.
"the ‘Not In My Back Yard’ syndrome"

What you've described can be called a syndrome, under some contexts at least. [wink]

I've experienced it in its extended form, with an audience who also perceived the deluded person to be smarter than they were. That was fun, like a live action realtime version of Mean Girls, only with adults in the starring roles. [shock2]

I don't like the article,overall, it is quite condescending in places and it does confuse intellect with intelligence at several points. There is more than one type of intelligence, that was the gist of what I was trying to say in my last post and intellect is merely one form, a rationalising one which is produced by education and exposure to concepts such as critical thinking.

Ignorance does not equal stupidity and ignorance can be educated away. Stupid is when someone clings to lies, false beliefs or fallacies despite being educated about them and provided with thinking tools that prove their ideas/ ideals to be wrong or misgiven.

This is my own opinion on the subject of stupidity, of course and it's fine to hold a different or varied view on it.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Nahemah wrote:
...Like thinking that we are a better driver than the others on the road. Or thinking that it is okay to insult others just because they are insulting. Or thinking that you are better than people because they are not as political correct as you are. Or accusing other members for trolling when they express an opinion you don't share...
At the risk of splitting hairs:

syndrome
ˈsɪndrəʊm/Submit
noun

a group of symptoms which consistently occur together, or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.
"a rare syndrome in which the production of white blood cells is damaged"

a characteristic combination of opinions, emotions, or behaviour.
"the ‘Not In My Back Yard’ syndrome"

What you've described can be called a syndrome, under some contexts at least. [wink]
Fair enough. When I hear somebody say "somethingsomething-syndrom" I think of it as a mental disease. But yes you can, as you've proven, called a serious of recurring advents a syndrome.

I've experienced it in its extended form, with an audience who also perceived the deluded person to be smarter than they were. That was fun, like a live action realtime version of Mean Girls, only with adults in the starring roles. [shock2]
Every online forum works like mean girls in some way. You have clicks of popular people and very often non of them are better than any of the other members, but they have more posts so therefore they have to be "smart/better". (ironic coming from the guy with the second most posts on this forum right :) )
I don't like the article,overall, it is quite condescending in places and it does confuse intellect with intelligence at several points. There is more than one type of intelligence, that was the gist of what I was trying to say in my last post and intellect is merely one form, a rationalising one which is produced by education and exposure to concepts such as critical thinking.
And as I rebutted, you can apply these techniques to anybody who are inferior to you, in anyway.
Ignorance does not equal stupidity and ignorance can be educated away. Stupid is when someone clings to lies, false beliefs or fallacies despite being educated about them and provided with thinking tools that prove their ideas/ ideals to be wrong or misgiven.

This is my own opinion on the subject of stupidity, of course and it's fine to hold a different or varied view on it
And you can use these techniques on somebody that are ignorant as well. And that might even be a great technique to use on people who are unintelligent. Treat them as they are ignorant instead and try to help them instead of pointing out their errors. The article covers that as well.

Here is a great list:

Average: Is presented with a easy problem and solves it.
Slow: Is presented with a easy problem and can't solve it on his own, but when shown the solution; is able to solve the problem.
Moron: Is presented with a problem, but can't solve it even after being show the solution.
Stupid: Unable to understand the problem.
Dumb: Lacking sufficient intelligence to learn how to speak.
Idiot: Lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:I guess some people may find this useful, but in my opinion, these are just the basics of not being an asshat. I've known many stupid people who have enriched my life by the quality of their character.
Yes. I would like to learn how to not be an asshat, please.
Do you have any tips?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Nahemah wrote:that most folk I've met who believe themselves to be intellectually superior
I've been thinking about this a lot today and I don't think that's necessarily true. Even if you are a moron, you still have to deal with other morons. This article is actually helpful to anybody.

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

Desecrated wrote:
chowderpope wrote:I guess some people may find this useful, but in my opinion, these are just the basics of not being an asshat. I've known many stupid people who have enriched my life by the quality of their character.
Do you have any tips?
If you have trouble empathizing with someone, imagine what they were like when they were 5 years old. There was a time when they were young, innocent, ignorant of the world, dependent on the care of adults, and easily influenced by everything happening around them. Maybe they were afraid of the dark, maybe they liked dinosaurs and astronauts. They were a normal 5-year-old. Then, imagine yourself when you were 5 years old. The two of you were the same.

At some point there was a divergence in your lives. You grew to be who you are, and they grew to be a moron. Why did it happen? What caused that innocent little 5-year-old to become a moron, but not you? Maybe they were traumatized. Maybe they were born with weaker mental faculties, and thus were unable absorb life lessons as well as you. Maybe their parents were morons, and that's the only life they've ever known.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

And as I rebutted, you can apply these techniques to anybody who are inferior to you, in anyway.
This may be part of your problem, if you believe others are inferior to you.

And this, though it may be because of differences in useage/ definitions of terms in different countries:
Here is a great list:

Average: Is presented with a easy problem and solves it.
Slow: Is presented with a easy problem and can't solve it on his own, but when shown the solution; is able to solve the problem.

For me, the 'slow' is just a symptom of something else going on, not a lack of intelligence,but probably a lack of education, or depending on the problem, if the failure represents itself [ the second, third, fourth time the person attempts the same problem after being shown the solution] I'd be thinking of medical tests, regarding cognitive skills/ possible undiagnosed epilepsy or some other issue, not 'stupidity', as it were.
I'd be concerned for them.

Moron: Is presented with a problem, but can't solve it even after being show the solution.

Again, this is concerning, but not because of ' lack of intelligence'. This indicates a disconnect between the thinking and doing parts of the mind and may be a symptom of something serious. I tend to go to epilepsy first, as I've seen short term memory problems occur most with this condition, in similar manner. It could also be symptomatic of other issues, including mental health problems.

And here, where I'm from, a moron is someone who behaves in a particularly aggressive or verbally violent manner, it's processual rather than being a measure of intelligence. I know intelligent people who are moronic when drunk, but sharp as the proverbial razor intellectually, when they are sober, for one instance.

Stupid: Unable to understand the problem.

Again, depends on what this problem is, doesn't it?

Dumb: Lacking sufficient intelligence to learn how to speak.

Here, dumb used to used to signify someone who can't speak, but it's now considered perjorative and rightly so. Many profoundly deaf people often cannot speak at all, or barely but this has no bearing on their intelligence, though it does make communication interesting and challenging. Sign language anyone?

Idiot: Lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old.

Again, again, here this is a perjorative term, no longer used medically and someone with this kind of issue is not likely to be somewhere I'd be in everyday life, whom I'd be dealing with in my work or my social life, though I was friends when young with a wee boy with severe cerebral palsy, who was blind, deaf, unable to walk and considered extremely mentally challenged. We got on rather well. Make of this what you wish.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Nahemah wrote:
This may be part of your problem, if you believe others are inferior to you.
I think you are attaching to much of a "value" to this. A midget is inferior to me in reaching things from a counter. As a man I am inferior to a women when it comes to giving babies (although, I've heard that it can be done, nowadays)
As somebody with glasses, my sight is inferior to a pilot.

Now, I am in no way, shape or form suggesting that midgets, women, pilots or men are lower standing in value to me, they are simply inferior in one aspect or another to each other, and sometimes you have to deal with people like that.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Frumens wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
Do you have any tips?
If you have trouble empathizing with someone, imagine what they were like when they were 5 years old. There was a time when they were young, innocent, ignorant of the world, dependent on the care of adults, and easily influenced by everything happening around them. Maybe they were afraid of the dark, maybe they liked dinosaurs and astronauts. They were a normal 5-year-old. Then, imagine yourself when you were 5 years old. The two of you were the same.

At some point there was a divergence in your lives. You grew to be who you are, and they grew to be a moron. Why did it happen? What caused that innocent little 5-year-old to become a moron, but not you? Maybe they were traumatized. Maybe they were born with weaker mental faculties, and thus were unable absorb life lessons as well as you. Maybe their parents were morons, and that's the only life they've ever known.
(Before you start reading this, let me just tell you that this is not my actual opinion or behavior, I'm just playing a part to illustrate a problem. I just want to see your honest suggestion to this argument)

Okay, sure.
But why should I be nice to them just because they suck?
Even if I understand that they have had a bad life or a bad time or they have a legitimate excuse for not being good, why should I behave differently?
Lets say somebody was born without legs, why shouldn't I make fun of him?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

[quote="Nahemah"]

For me, the 'slow' is just a symptom of something else going on, not a lack of intelligence,but probably a lack of education, or depending on the problem, if the failure represents itself [ the second, third, fourth time the person attempts the same problem after being shown the solution] I'd be thinking of medical tests, regarding cognitive skills/ possible undiagnosed epilepsy or some other issue, not 'stupidity', as it were.
I'd be concerned for them.

I could quote your entire statement because my argument against it applies to everything you said, but I'm shortening it down in the quote, so no that I am not rejecting just this idea, I'm rejecting all your ideas.

This is actually a medical term based on research and evidence. there is such a thing as being unintelligent. It doesn't mean that the person is lacking is "smarts" or "education" it means that their brain is wired in such a way that they have problems solving problems. So somebody who is musically unintelligent can't learn how to tune a guitar.
Someone who is musically uneducated don't know how to tune a guitar at the moment, but they can learn if they get the right experience. However, some people simple lack the skills of doing so, and it's actually not a problem with their ears (unless they actually have a problem with their ears, prohibiting hearing.) Being unable to tune a guitar means that your brain is not wired for noticing the small variations in hertz needed to tune a guitar.

BUT, it's not uncommon to find people like that working in a music-store. because being able to sell stuff has nothing to do with musical talent.

Someone might be spatial unintelligent. Meaning that they are fucking unable to move a furniture in a tricky situation, no matter how many times you explain it to them.
If they have an average spatial intelligence they can do it by themselves, or figure it.
If they have a slow spatial intelligence they will not figure it out before somebody shows it how it is done. (This is the kind of people who can't build an ikea furniture even if their life depended on them).
If they are a moron, they will never be able to do it, even if you show them how it is done before their eyes. This is not just having learning deficiencies or ad/hd. It is bellow that. Someone with learning deficiency can learn but it takes longer time, (meaning that they are slow) someone who can't learn, is a moron. It's a medical fucking term, not a political correct statement. Being lame, or mute or blind is not an insult. Neither is moron, retard, dumb or idiot.

Now does this mean that they are less worthy as human beings? NO, it does not.
And by acknowledging that they are unintelligent we are not saying that they are lower standing human beings, we are just acknowledging their strengths and weaknesses.
AND sometimes, you have to deal with these people in your daily life.

Sometimes you have to deal with someone who is so unintelligent that they do not understand what the heck you are talking about even if you explain it 3 times, show them evidence and demonstrates it in front of them.

And the article I linked, is how to deal with people in that situation.

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

Desecrated wrote:
(Before you start reading this, let me just tell you that this is not my actual opinion or behavior, I'm just playing a part to illustrate a problem. I just want to see your honest suggestion to this argument)

Okay, sure.
Even if I understand that they have had a bad life or a bad time or they have a legitimate excuse for not being good, why should I behave differently?
When you practice cruelty, you create problems for yourself and others. When you practice patience and compassion, life is more pleasant for everyone.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

Desecrated wrote:
Frumens wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
Okay, sure.

The answer to your question is called "humility". Its considered a high virtue in religions because it is the awareness of ones own limitations, something that we all have. Knowing that you are not the inferior in one particular instance but that you might be inferior in another SHOULD be enough to practice this virtue in all circumstances whether you are the superior or not. From this virtue comes patience, strength, discipline, loyalty- just to name a few. Its the key ingredient to a successful life, and a successful society.

Return to “Reason and Unreason”