The Importance of the Liberal Arts

Exploring the Philosophical side of the Occult.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

The Importance of the Liberal Arts

Post by Desecrated »

"The liberal arts (Latin: artes liberales) are those subjects or skills that in classical antiquity were considered essential for a free person (a citizen) to know in order to take an active part in civic life. In Ancient Greece this included participating in public debate, defending oneself in court, serving on juries, and military service. The aim of these studies was to produce a virtuous, knowledgeable, and articulate person. Grammar, rhetoric, and logic were the core liberal arts. "

Firice
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Importance of the Liberal Arts

Post by Firice »

So while philosophy helps in individual intellectual pursuits liberal arts helps in community involvement. I surmise there's a preconceived notion about magick being the pursuit of hermits and anti-community-involvement in many countries. True, that in some countries religion is the primary identity, the medical community has now recognised the role of faith and religious beliefs in healing.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Firice wrote:So while philosophy helps in individual intellectual pursuits liberal arts helps in community involvement. I surmise there's a preconceived notion about magick being the pursuit of hermits and anti-community-involvement in many countries. True, that in some countries religion is the primary identity, the medical community has now recognised the role of faith and religious beliefs in healing.
The liberal arts helps the individual. Philosophy is part of liberal arts.

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

The Liberal Arts is about becoming well rounded in ways of intellect and in ways of being an individual as a part of a society. You work your way into becoming a more complete person with it. Philosophy is for extending the mind in ways of thinking and learning in an unbiased manner. Taken purely, philosophy is more harmful to the individual as it can easily lead to crisis of identity, crisis of self, and crisis of faith. Philosophy is meant to be tempered with the other aspects of the liberal arts, such as sociology, psychology, kinesiology, or even the hard sciences, as well as the arts, music, languages, and other subjects.
The importance of Liberal Arts is to not grow in only one subject, but to flourish in many different aspects of yourself as you can, becoming more well rounded as an individual who can make informed decisions in society, and make intellectual arguments and statements which addresses the proper subject rather than what you mainly see in society today.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Return to “Reason and Unreason”