Need help interpreting a dream about Anubis

Exploring the Philosophical side of the Occult.

Kegan.Graham.2016
Forum Member
Forum Member

Need help interpreting a dream about Anubis

Post by Kegan.Graham.2016 »

When I was eight years old (give or take), I had a dream where I could see the rest of my room quite clearly, in present time. I couldn't move or breathe...and was staring into the smoky figure of a massive man with a wolfs head. He was made entirely of blacker-than-night smoke. His eyes were empty pits that were somehow darker than his entire body. And he appeared to be kneeling on my chest, staring at me as I struggled to move, breathe, scream...anything. I don't know how long it was before I broke free of the dream, but...eventually, I broke free of the dream. The smoky wolf-man --Anubis, as I now know (or at least I assume so), was nowhere to be seen.
A thing to note is that I was prone to night terrors as a child. Dreams where my eyes were open, and my nightmares sort of overlayed really. And more often than not, I found myself unable to move or breathe during them. There are none, however, that stuck with me quite the way this one has...it bothers me. I'd say mostly because I hadn't known who Anubis was yet. What did this dream mean, if anything? Could it be that it was just a simple nightmare?

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Need help interpreting a dream about Anubis

Post by Hound »

Greetings.

Initially, it sounds like a case of sleep paralysis. I'm sure you have considered this notion. What about this particular experience potentially separates the events from the aforementioned night time affliction?

Kegan.Graham.2016
Forum Member
Forum Member

This was different. Every other time I've ever had Sleep Paralysis, there was an aspect of inconsistency, like...a chair that wasn't there before or a floating feeling. This Anubis dream...it had none of that. Nothing was amis (beyond the giant shadow of Anubis kneeling on my chest) and it felt...very very real. Not to mention, there was actual consistency with where I felt pressure on my chest and where he appeared to be kneeling. (And let me say that consistency in my dreams is never a thing)

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hound »

Alright, I'll take your word for it.

It's good to note that Anpu's head is that of a jackal. Not a wolf's. The animal in particular his image was thought to be based off was that of the Golden Jackal, which has been recently found in the modern age to actually be a subspecies of Wolf. It is, however, still a highly specialized animal for it's region. This is, however, just me arguing semantics. If the figure was that dark, I suppose it would be difficult to identify the exact species, no?

Suspending disbelief for a moment, the event sounds like a show of power or a testing of boundaries to me. This is, however, my personal opinion. With that in mind I feel such an event to be odd given your age at the time things transpired. Have you found any ties to that pantheon or the deity in particular in your adult life?

Anpu has always been a rather apathetic or 'calm' entity in my individual experience. He is one of the few who will often hold space for me in a time of need. While this sounds out of character for my experiences, I haven't done anything to make him upset, per say. So I have no reference point for if he were feeling wrathful.

Maybe someone else has some insight that could potentially help you along.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Maybe He's been trying to wake you up, but your instinctive fear of waking up manifested Him in such unpleasant way. You might have to push through that uncanny valley of your fears to see His true face.

Kegan.Graham.2016
Forum Member
Forum Member

Firstly, I'd like to formally apologize for my ignorance in the subject matter. I am not an occult member, but am merely a very open minded individual seeking answers. And yes, any other insights would be extremely helpful.

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Have you looked into, Set, the Egyptian god?
However, he was most often depicted as a "Set animal" or a man with the head of a "Set animal". The Set animal (sometimes known as a"Typhonian animal" because of the Greek identification with Typhon) is a dog or jackal like creature,

the above is taken from http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/set.html

And just as a side note, outside of me, everyone who has replied to this post so far, had some kind of canine as their avatar. Maybe I'm the only one who finds that interesting, but still...
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

Kegan.Graham.2016
Forum Member
Forum Member

Thats an interesting theory, but still, the main question remains: if this is the case, and it wasn't just a vivid nightmare, why would an entity such as Set or Anubis appear for me? And as an eight year old, no less. As previously mentioned, I am rather ignorant to this topic...was either one of these entities known to appear before mortals for any reason?

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hound »

Occultess wrote:And just as a side note, outside of me, everyone who has replied to this post so far, had some kind of canine as their avatar. Maybe I'm the only one who finds that interesting, but still...
I can't help that the nature of my being overlaps with my area of interest/experience [tongue]. Though it is rather amusing, now that you point it out.
Occultess wrote:Have you looked into, Set, the Egyptian god?
Very interesting point! The set animal's origins are still up for debate, as it was never able to be properly identified as an exact living species. It was thought to be a bit of a chimera, with the head of an anteater, the body of a jackal, and so on. They were very curious creatures, that's for sure. Quite mysterious.
Kegan.Graham.2016 wrote:why would an entity such as Set or Anubis appear for me? And as an eight year old, no less
That's the right path, in my mind, for beginning inquiries. I asked prior if you had found any connection to Anpu in your adult life, although it seems to have been overlooked. Discovering the root of the experience will likely provide you with much more information.

Kegan.Graham.2016
Forum Member
Forum Member

I have had no connection with Anpu in my adult life. (To clarify, this entity was the one know for guiding dead souls, correct? My research tells me so, but I wanted to verify to be safe) However, piggybacking off of those parentheses, my mother told me once that when I was younger, she'd hear me talking to spirits or demons. I have no recollection of this. And to this day, I don't know how she knew I was talking to spirits, versus a stereotypical imaginary friend. I shrugged it off, at the time, as a superstitious, overprotective mother, but...could that be connected to the dream I had? The timelines sure seem to match up well.

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hound »

Mythology and written texts (surviving ones) on a deity's or spirit's skill sets should always be taken with a grain of salt. Although the human history of these beings can provide a foundation for understanding, they aren't limited to what we've managed to describe about them. In the mythological sense, Anpu was once ruler of the underworld itself, this role being subverted after a major cultural shift (where many other god's roles also changed). Given to Osiris. However his watch over the departed didn't end, as most any wikipedia or google search will tell you.

In my experience, his current role in our world is much different. Guiding all the same. Mostly dealing in the pathways of the living.

In response to your query, there's a lot I can't tell you for sure. Have you done any sort of looking into your past, yourself? Meditation, even hypnosis if you feel up to it. I would recommend taking the time to journey back to when these events were still fresh. See what your developed mind can make sense of. While this might be a vague response, I tend to take a very cautionary route when conversing about personal experiences outside of mine. I would very much like to provide the tools for discovery, rather than mold that discovery myself. For the benefit of the inquirer :).

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

What makes you think it was Anubis/Anpu, apart from the canine head? Did it identify itself as such? Just asking because it doesn't sound anything like him to me, but sounds very much like "other" things that roam the liminal spaces between waking and sleeping states. These entities are associated with sleep paralysis.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Here is the Pyramid Text. If I am not mistaken, this is the earliest text that Anubis is mentioned in (at least a known or surviving text).

http://www.pyramidtextsonline.com/index.html
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hound »

the_spiral wrote:What makes you think it was Anubis/Anpu, apart from the canine head? Did it identify itself as such? Just asking because it doesn't sound anything like him to me, but sounds very much like "other" things that roam the liminal spaces between waking and sleeping states. These entities are associated with sleep paralysis.
This was my first instinct. But it's up to the person with the experience to specify, I suppose.

Kegan.Graham.2016
Forum Member
Forum Member

Its been a long time since this happened, obviously, but...as I remember it, there was no malice in this jakal/wolf headed figure. To me, he seemed to be...almost passing judgement or...lookong at me in the same way you might look at a forgiegn piece of tech you've yet to tinker with. But with that, there was something else...I can't quite explain it. But I feel the visit was neither malicious nor peaceful.
That said, I have no idea whether or not it was Anubus or Set, or these in-between entities you speak of (which for pure curiosity, I'd love to hear more), but I guess I'll try some past digging and even self reflection. As for the hypnosis, I'm not quite sure how I'd do that, but...we'll cross that road when we get there, I suppose. Thabk you everybody for your help. If I think of anything else, I will add that later.

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by neofight »

I recall certain occurrences that happened to me as a child, nothing of this nature per se, but I definitely think I was interacted with when I was young. If you consider that these entities exist to motivate or inspire mortals, that they obey no real rules and can experiment with us in whatever way they see fit, then it makes sense that this entity was just meant to inspire you to question, and provoke you to maybe seek out whatever you might find in the supernatural. I think this is common for all of us; some kind of occurrence that causes us to seek knowledge- and it is our decision to believe what we find fitting. I could not speculate on how many entities there might be, could be that there is one or ten for each of us. Considering how many beings (animal, human, etc) have come into incarnation, and that at the end of life they are allowed to interact, it could be any number of any nature. If you read about particular initiations, those are different. It sounds to me as if this entity was just checking you out, maybe hoping to spark an interest in mythology, and from there maybe it is just waiting to see what you find. I imagine that if I were hanging out watching mortals that I would have nothing better to do that follow the one I contacted around to see how they develop.

Return to “Reason and Unreason”