What Is Enlightenment... Really?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: JanPeter
There's a difference between experience and understanding. Enlightenment is not an understanding, it is an experience which is ultimately the complete lack of understanding. The idea is that the universe just exists as it is, without conflict, without any of the descriptors that we apply to it. Unfortunately, it is the nature of our brains to name and observe and work out relationships, and we falsely ascribe these things to the universe. The universe just is. In order to see the universe for what it is, we have to forget all these constructs which limit our thinking.
If enlightenment is really experience without understanding, I don't know what you're all so interested in it for. Anyone can see something, but it is something else entirely to understand it.

I think there is something amazing about the human race, and that thing which is mostly intriguing is the human brain, and its capacity to learn and understand it's environment. That is one of the things that separates us from the "animals".
Something doesn't need to be described to exist. Furthermore, I don't need to know what something is and how it works in order to "see" it. See what I'm saying? The desire to "know" the universe by applying our constructs, rules, and descriptors can only lead you away from that understanding ultimately.
I agree, nothing needs to be described to exist. But not attempting to understand how the universe works and why seems to me to be the opposite of enlightenment. It's like reverting to the dark ages in order to further the human race. Seeing is not understanding. Seeing something doesn't make it exist.
I think you are looking at knowledge backwards. You don't figure out what something is by trying to describe it. You figure out what something is by observing it.
I don't think you figure out what something is by describing it, but you most likely can't find out is happening in quantum mechanics by merely observing it.
The cavemen aren't stupid. They know that there is something different about the fire and the sun. But they also know there is something the same. When our genius caveman identified heat, he didn't identify what the fire or the sun is, he merely identified common attributes shared by both the fire and the sun.

The knowledge of these attributes came long before people had words for them. You don't have to know advanced laws of thermodynamics to know what a sunburn is.
I wasn't saying that language is absolutely necessary in describing the world around us. I also didn't mean that these descriptions that humans use need to be understandable to other humans. The cavemen were able to comprehend the idea of heat, (a description of fire, the sun, etc.) and thus were able to comprehend the idea of sunburn or regular burns. They, as you said, identified common attributes shared by the fire and the sun by utilizing descriptive factors, such as light and heat. I would consider those "descriptions" of fire. Thus my idea that descriptions are necessary for understanding.
Seeing the universe for what "it is" is what enlightenment supposedly entails. It is an experience, not a description.

Here's another example. Have you ever been in a situation where you were trying to describe something, and were at a loss for words, yet you knew exactly what it was? That's basically how it is.
I have definitely been in such a situation, but is that saying that an advancement of our vocabulary wouldn't possibly solve that problem? Or an advancement of the way we use language? Or possibly the loss of words is caused by my own lack of knowledge on the subject, which is why I would be at a loss of words to describe what a dream "feels like". That doesn't mean that I am not constantly taking down (in my head) descriptive things that make up what a dream is, whether or not I can comprehend it at my level of understanding.
my revision: "you would have to figure out exactly what the universe is, and that is simply impossible with descriptions."
I don't see how that is a logical statement. Unless of course what you're saying is that enlightenment is plain impossible for the human species. There is no way to figure out what something is unless you ultimately are able to understand and describe it. (as i said before, you may not be able to describe it to another human, but you in your own head can definitely describe it, and understand it.)
impossible? tell me in 3 words or less who you are. do I now understand you? have you described you entirely? ok, 300 words then? in 3000 words? if you wrote a 3000 word essay about yourself, would I be able to read it, and instantly know exactly what you feel/think when you see a spider? how about 30,000 words? how about a biography? can you read a biography, and know what color crayon someone thought was their favorite when they were 3? or what they really think about their spouse if they're still married? or what their weirdest sexual fantasy is? could you predict exactly what they'd do in a particular situation?
I never said that understanding is based on a humans ability to write an essay to another human which allows them to understand it. If you in your own mind understand it, then that qualifies as "knowing". (there are exceptions, of course. some people aren't there mentally) But how could you say that observing the universe without descriptions will allow you to know what you feel/think when you see a spider? Or predict what someone will do in a certain situation? Taking everything as untrue because our descriptions will never encompass the complete truth of the matter is like giving up. Enlightenment (if that means seeing the universe for what it is) would be nothing if you could not in your own head understand what is happening.
There's a difference between experience and understanding. Enlightenment is not an understanding, it is an experience which is ultimately the complete lack of understanding. The idea is that the universe just exists as it is, without conflict, without any of the descriptors that we apply to it. Unfortunately, it is the nature of our brains to name and observe and work out relationships, and we falsely ascribe these things to the universe. The universe just is. In order to see the universe for what it is, we have to forget all these constructs which limit our thinking.
If enlightenment is experiencing the universe with complete lack of understanding, I'll stick with my magic mushrooms, thanks anyway!

Once again, thank you all for your extremely intelligent responses, and take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm merely thinking aloud, as always!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Draginvry
If enlightenment is experiencing the universe with complete lack of understanding, I'll stick with my magic mushrooms, thanks anyway!
It's not so much about experiencing the universe without understanding, as it is experiencing the universe without the need for understanding.

But I reiterate that you are talking about intellectual understanding only. There is more than one way to understand something.
JanPeter;348646 wrote:Anyone can see something, but it is something else entirely to understand it.
Then I'll give you an even better example. In this universe, you perceive what you are looking for. If you are not looking for anything, you can perceive everything. Consider the man standing against this tree, for example:

However, in conjuring up a descriptive story in your head about this man standing against the tree, one has already missed what is really going on, because the focus was placed on the idea of someone standing, rather than the true evidence presented in front of them:

Hurricane Katrina optical illusion reveal (clicky)

Enlightenment is the state when one isn't telling themselves a story about how the universe works. When one is no longer clouded by the illusion of their own judgment and preconceived notions of how the world works, they can see the world for how it really is. In the above picture, I saw a man standing because I had a preconceived judgment about what a man would be doing leaning against a tree. An enlightened person would not have seen the man standing, because he would have perceived the horizontal trees in the background, not having his focus distracted by his own thoughts.

This is the best example I can provide for how enlightenment allows us to see beyond the illusions of this world.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nice picture illusion, I used it on a couple friends. But I noticed something was wrong when I noticed the house in the background and the trees growing horizontally. I wouldn't in any way shape or form say I'm enlightened, but merely that I am more inquisitive than the average person, i guess.

But really, if that is what enlightenment is, then knowledge is a key factor in enlightenment. Knowledge as in facts and "descriptions", that kind of thing. Although you started the illusion by saying "consider this man standing against this tree, I instantly realized that something was wrong. From preconceived notions and judgment, I noticed that he wasn't standing normally, his shoulder seems to have a lot of pressure on it. First clue. Secondly, I noticed the house in the background definitely wasn't "firmly on the ground", i.e. was either floating or the position of the man isn't what it seemed to be. Lastly, I was able to see the trees horizontally growing, which when ran against my preconceived notions about how the world works allowed me to realize this picture was taken from a different angle than normal pictures.

It doesn't take an enlightened person to observe the world rationally, all it takes is a little knowledge of the world. Which is why I don't understand why everyone thinks that enlightenment is something to be studied so fervidly. If we only furthered our education we would definitely become what we call "enlightened".
It's not so much about experiencing the universe without understanding, as it is experiencing the universe without the need for understanding.

But I reiterate that you are talking about intellectual understanding only. There is more than one way to understand something.
I guess I just don't understand what it means to understand from a non intellectual standpoint. I can't understand the water cycle non-intellectually, or physics, for example. It just doesn't make sense. Then again, maybe you folks can "enlighten me" once again, heh!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Dea Kmra
JanPeter wrote:I have definitely been in such a situation, but is that saying that an advancement of our vocabulary wouldn't possibly solve that problem? Or an advancement of the way we use language? Or possibly the loss of words is caused by my own lack of knowledge on the subject, which is why I would be at a loss of words to describe what a dream "feels like". That doesn't mean that I am not constantly taking down (in my head) descriptive things that make up what a dream is, whether or not I can comprehend it at my level of understanding.
An advancement in vocabulary is just better describing it. There is a chance that sometime in the future, someone could have words that would better describe sensations and the like, however, it is impossible to have words that would encompass the entirety of the experience.

It isn't something you can learn or read about, it's something you have to experience to truly understand. Sure, you could try to tell someone how it feels, but there's only so far you can describe it before you're at a loss of words. When you're done, the person still couldn't possibly fully grasp what it is unless they've experienced it themselves.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: corbin_israfael
Dea Kmra;348393 wrote:Try it with a much greater idea. The idea of 'God'.

God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, etc etc. But those terms are only used to appeal to the human mind.

Do you really think anyone limited to the average scope of humanity would be able to comprehend what it truly means to be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent? Who can honestly say they can understand what that means?

...if that wasn't your point, Draginvry, my apologies.

As for the topic, I believe Enlightenment is just widening your scope. There are levels to it, and the end only comes when you die and are reincarnated (or whatever your afterlife consists of). Surely, an ascetic monk who has devoted his entire life to the universe is enlightened, is he not? However, he is not as enlighten as the Buddha, who has gotten to such an understanding as to become one with the universe.

Likewise, an adult is more enlightened than a child. However, they pale in comparison to the monk or the Buddha.
That's just the thing however, all this differentiation. Are the Buddha, the Ascetic and the Universe really separate? Did the Buddha become one with the Universe or did he merely realize he was one with the Universe all along? That he really didn't exist and that it was the Maya of the Physical Realm that lead him to believe he was separate from the Universe?

I follow Advaita (Non-Dualistic) Vedantic Philosophy so to me Enlightenment would be the realization that everything is God. Nothing is Separate. The Individual Self does not truly exist and only by seeing through the Maya of this World can one escape this Prison of Illusion.

The very act of defining Enlightenment is somewhat absurd as it cannot be defined by words in my opinion. It is an experience and only those that have experienced it can truly comprehend it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Dea Kmra
corbin_israfael wrote:
That's just the thing however, all this differentiation. Are the Buddha, the Ascetic and the Universe really separate? Did the Buddha become one with the Universe or did he merely realize he was one with the Universe all along? That he really didn't exist and that it was the Maya of the Physical Realm that lead him to believe he was separate from the Universe?
The Buddha would've realized this before the Ascetic. Just as the Ascetic would realize this and become the Buddha before the Man.
corbin_israfael wrote: The very act of defining Enlightenment is somewhat absurd as it cannot be defined by words in my opinion. It is an experience and only those that have experienced it can truly comprehend it.
Yes, this is my point. It isn't something you can truly describe, it's something that has to be felt to be understood.

Also, I forgot to reply to this in my last post.
JanPeter wrote:It doesn't take an enlightened person to observe the world rationally, all it takes is a little knowledge of the world. Which is why I don't understand why everyone thinks that enlightenment is something to be studied so fervidly. If we only furthered our education we would definitely become what we call "enlightened".
We wouldn't reach an absolute enlightenment. By comparison to other things, we wouldn't be very enlightened at all. We'd still only be limiting ourselves to the average human scope of definition of 'enlightenment'. We would be perceiving it only as much as a book can relay it, as opposed experiencing what it is in its entirety.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

For example, If we were to scientifically prove through some kind of physics, be it quantum or what have you, that we are all "one" and connected (they have already found some material that points to this), then I believe we would all reach enlightenment. It would be up to the individual human to follow that, or not.

If we only enlighten ourselves we aren't being enlightened at all, because we are all one! Just a thought..

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: omikron23

well, at first there is a lion roaming around and you are in the cage

next, the lion is in the cage and you are roaming around

next, you ride the lion

there are two levels

most people claiming to be enlightened actually are not

I'm not enlightened either

most so called Gurus are just resting in beingness

the true Gurus however are Sadgurus

they are beyond beingness

at first you have to forgive everything to everyone

and then comes the light

enlightened comes from the light

light refers to the light of your soul

in that sense you are always enlightened

because you are always the soul

or rather you have a soul

actually your soul is what you call space

what you call space is not universal, it is highly personal

at first you identify with your body

you say 'I'm the body'

then you identify with your personality

you say 'I'm mister or misses so and so, a man, a woman,

a human being'

what makes you feel human is not human

then you go beyond that also

then you realize that whatever happens to you

whatever has a beginning

whatever has an end cannot be you

because it happens to you, so it cannot be you

you is what is beyond concept

and then you merge with space

and that space is your soul

you say 'I am the soul that has a body'

but this is false also

you have a soul

what you have is not what you are

what are you?

you are what has a soul

you are what has many souls

actually there is only one soul

the ocean of soul

but in that ocean, there are many drops

as long as you are aware of only one drop

you believe to be one drop only

and this you call your soul

this is total manifestation

but then you go beyond this also

being perfectly still, the water of total manifestation

goes beyond attachment

beyond duality between subject and object

between observer and observed

between the knower and the known

you become one with your soul

this new identity being perfect

being without disturbance

being absolutely still

then you can let it go

then you can transcend your soul

and merge into totality

not just total personal manifestation

but total cosmic manifestation

and then you will go beyond that also

you will go beyond that cosmic dream

and become what you always were

what you just had forgotten

what never had to be remembered

look at your finger

then your SELF is in the finger

now look at your whole body

now your SELF is in the body

the whole universe is your body

all the universes are your bodies

you are not in the body

the body is in you

the personality is in you

the soul is in you

the universe is in you

whatever is in you

is not what you are

what you have is not what you are

and what you are is not what you have

GOD BLESS

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: immortal

I found this blog which is an interesting read, it's a bio and goes on to the topic of the ark of the covenant and, well you'll get the picture... It's a big page (>12MB) so don't even attempt it on dial-up :P...

http://thehiddenlighthouse.blogspot.com ... -from.html

I think enlightenment is like a really good joke, I mean, it's sublime--you either "get it" or you don't, and like good jokes you can't really explain what makes it so funny.

:eh:

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Qez
The Tao that can be followed is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The namelesss is the origin of heaven and earth
While naming is the origin of the myriad things .
Therefore, always desireless, you see the mystery
Ever desiring, you see the manifestations.
These two are the same --
When they appear they are named differently.

This sameness is the mystery,
Mystery within mystery;

The door to all marvels.
Its amusing because the Tao Te Ching goes ahead and tries to explain what it is after saying that it cannot be defined in concepts. My conceptualising, you miss the point, by thinking about it, you miss the point, by seeking it, you miss the point. Indeed, the point is that there is no point, which is so beautful. When you surrender everything you are to the moment, what is left is the emptiness, and it is truely amazing!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

[QUOTE=Qez;350680]Its amusing because the Tao Te Ching goes ahead and tries to explain what it is after saying that it cannot be defined in concepts. My conceptualising, you miss the point, by thinking about it, you miss the point, by seeking it, you miss the point. Indeed, the point is that there is no point, which is so beautful. When you surrender everything you are to the moment, what is left is the emptiness, and it is truely amazing![/QUOTE]

The Tao Te Ching doesn't really do that, it alludes to it through provocation, just as a painting is a provocation. Poems aren't a concept, be careful not to fall for that. It invokes the reader to create links, synaptic links which the initiate should have in order to gain anything by it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Qez

[QUOTE=immortal;352559]The Tao Te Ching doesn't really do that, it alludes to it through provocation, just as a painting is a provocation. Poems aren't a concept, be careful not to fall for that. It invokes the reader to create links, synaptic links which the initiate should have in order to gain anything by it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. It would be great if we could read a piece of literature and be instantly enlightened. However, this is not the case because the source (i.e. words) and provocation are still forms. Perhaps it is teaching us how to identify "it" or "the lack of it" through these forms.

Poems are highly structured -- an artistic form of literacy. They can contain musical qualities, for example, through rhyme, alliteration, assonance and onomatopoeia . They can contain clever play on words, sentences, verses, ideas and puns. Without the mind, none of this could be possible i.e. to be able to identify the words, the sentences, the sound of the words, the feelings they provoke. Like a painting, poems are indeed very complex forms and they invoke mind-forms. In doing so they create conceptualisations (and links to and from themselves) in the mind, in order to interpret and understand.

The provocation cannot exist without the observer. In and of itself, the Tao Te Ching is nothing but the subjective provocation in the observer (like all forms).

As I was discussing on other threads, all "phenomenal truths" are true (because their essence is the same) and false (because of their external manifestations). The onus is on the individual (observer) to deconstruct the external manifestation and realise the essence. This is what all phenomenal truths are, many signposts pointing to the same truth. Some signposts may be written in English and some in Chinese and some in French. Some may be covered in dirt, or have graffiti on them, obscuring the direction - but in essence the signposts are just that, and this is what the Tao Te Ching is - just a signpost!

Take care,

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hey Qez,

Nice.

Something of interest: the author's name is also colloquillism, that is, Lao Tzu, may not actually refer to a person per se, despite that the person who wrote it existed (of course). Another instance is dao which is also loosely translated as "the way" or street (look at a map from china/hong kong).

Greets.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Dionesia La Maga

Realizing oneâ??s highest potential is akin to â??achieving enlightenmentâ?Â

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: IAO131

[QUOTE=Dionesia La Maga;354263]
If anyone should come upon a person who claims to be enlightened, he should run screaming in the opposite direction and consider that he is enlightened for having done so.[/quote]

Or put your sandals on your head and promptly walk out the door.

[quote]However, I believe that a person who can be defined as "enlightened" is one who sees through the veil of human conditioning and understands the nature and root of the â??kleshas,â?Â

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I had to cut and paste and save that whole last section. It was just too good an exchange. (I need more emotons!)

Quote:
He is clear and present, thus, he has true volition.

Im not sure about that last part... Enlightenment might make one recognize that there is no 'I,' let alone agency, let alone volition, true or false. When I is no longer I, what is there that is willing but the Universe working through one?

Well yes, words get in the of way communication, don't they--especiallly in discussions about "enlightenment.":o. It would be counterproductive for me to clarify my statements regarding this or "humility" suffice it to say that we are more in accord than assumed.

OK, more favorite junk on enlightenment:

Shariram svaganarakau bhandamokshau bhayam tatha kalpanamatram
evai tat kim me karyam chidatmanah.

"I am self-abiding consciousness. Therefore, what actions need I engage in? The body, heaven, hell, bondage, freedom, and fear are mere illusions. " From the Ashtavakra Gita

Or this sums up "enlightenment"--a favorite passage from the Spandakarikas referred to as attaining Bhairvamukta (the Countenance of Shiva):

"He sees the totality of objects appearing and disappearing in his consciousness like a series of reflections in a mirror. Instantly, all of this thought-constructs are cut asunder by the recognition--after a thousand lives--of his essential nature, which surpasses common experience and is full of unprecedented bliss. He is struck with amazement--as though assuming the gesture of amazement. Upon experiencing vast expansion, his true, essential nature suddenly manifests."

IAO, you have commented on (and given new voice to Uncle Al) about these ideas using similar words in fact in your blog essays.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Draginvry

[QUOTE=Dionesia La Maga;354449]Therefore, what actions need I engage in? The body, heaven, hell, bondage, freedom, and fear are mere illusions. " From the Ashtavakra Gita[/QUOTE]

This is a good meditation on enlightenment. The truly enlightened is both a slave and a master, because he realizes that neither really exists. He is humble because he knows there is not any power to be had. And in knowing that there is nothing to be had, he gains everything.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: simex

Nice, he pulls out the Ashtavakra Gita! Yeah, that book could probably have negated this entire thread, had we brought it out earlier. So clear and precise; anyone who is still confused about enlightenment should read it, it's quite short: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Ashtavakra_Gita

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Kath_

I really liked your summary of things omikron23.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: durki

Enlightenment is the realization that cause of every thing is deep inside oneself & not outside.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: IAO131

[QUOTE=simex;354493]Nice, he pulls out the Ashtavakra Gita! Yeah, that book could probably have negated this entire thread, had we brought it out earlier. So clear and precise; anyone who is still confused about enlightenment should read it, it's quite short: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Ashtavakra_Gita[/QUOTE]

He is a She. :whistle:

IAO131

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”