Buddhism and Magic

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Buddhism and Magic

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: adept_nul

[QUOTE=Master 27;312660]I've been interested in Buddhism for awhile now. But the more I read about it, the more uneasy I get about it when it comes to magic.[/QUOTE]

From a Buddhist perspective one might say that 'magic and supernatural powers' are a distraction from the process of awakening.

In Zen literature one does see Masters exhibit supernatural powers, but they seem to disdain them.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Buddhism and Magic

Original post: adept_nul

[QUOTE=noorakoi;314740]Let me still remark that throwing out your TV and Pepsi for a year or two serves well to cut the attachment (as well as to give you better health and more time to be onli... ahem, meditate.)[/QUOTE]

I agree. I myself have done this practice. My experience is that one sees the nature of clinging, craving, attachment, suffering more clearly. This is not asceticism/renunciation for the sake of itself but instead as part of a bigger practice.

I have also experienced the zeal of one who comes new to a practice/religion :) Giving up 'things' as an end in itself.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Buddhism and Magic

Original post: BigJonMud

Word to adept,
during extened monatsic periods, id also discipline myself to to daily integrations with 'the real world' and life outsie the monastiery and the game becomes clear through the buddhist filter. Life is so easy in surrender to impermanance

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Buddhism and Magic

Original post: Hazen

Buddha was not against magic but he did admonish one of his disciples that used it to impress a crowd of people by flying around. He said it confused his message and punished the disciple by denying him enlightenment in that life. Of course on the other hand a master has used flight to stop a battle by flying over a battlefield and causing both armies to cease their fighting and look on in wonder. So clearly magic is treated just like any action in Buddhism. I honestly do not think you will find what you want in Buddhism. Those capable of Buddhist magic have attained a high level of enlightenment, this realization of the Buddha nature requires the destruction of the ego so it's either not possible for you or you'll find that you don't need or want it when you get there. To harm another is to harm yourself so the only times doing so is acceptable only when there is no other way. There is almost always another way, but if you sit down and come up with a situation that has no other options then yes a buddhist would be down with killing the person. I would like to note that having a tv is fine because it is indeed quite useful, if you cannot live without your tv that is when you are attached to it, it is also when you ought to throw it out. It's also important to point out that handing out ass beatings is another important part of Buddhist tradition. Sometimes it is simply your dharma to harm others, of course knowing when and when not to do this is the hard part. Some Zen masters had a habit of beating the shit out of their students. This initial primer is to teach the student that to live is to suffer and to live as a Buddhist is to suffer doubly so. Basically you will learn that being a good Buddhist is hard and it gets harder every day.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Buddhism and Magic

Original post: BigJonMud

Yeh..
during deep meditation retreats (such as the rains retreats) or even extended periods in the forest, you hear one song or watch one tv episode and your mediations are scrambled for days. Even having found a sturdy seat of samadhi, one word in one song with one association has the possibilty of leading to hours and hours of distraction.

Buddhism shouldnt be equated with suffering. The term 'life is suffering', one of the truths of whatevr fold (cant remember which gem, how many folds or what bloody path) can be adjusted to 'life is dukkha when out of balance'. This little distinction can go a very long way..

Once you ordain in many monasteries, there is much freedom within the particualr doctrine. I know monks who practice chigung despite their theravadin tradition, and vipassanites who also play with swords in the woods on their grounds. For the ever evolving buddhist in the real world, Buddha recommended a revision of the rules. Which to this day has still never been made. Except on the inside of the individual.

Tibetan buddhism and most ceremonial magicks appear to me to be one and the same.

NeoFaustus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Buddhism and Magic

Post by NeoFaustus »

The Gohonzon of Nichiren Buddhism are a Mental Servitor.
VITRIOL

Daud
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Buddhism and Magic

Post by Daud »

I'm a Gelug Vahrayana practitioner, any inquirers can ask me
"Things derive their being from mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves." -Nagarjuna

"Comprehending beyond good and evil opens the way to perfect skill" Jetsun Milarepa

"Always recognise the dreamlike qualities of life to reduce attachment and aversion." - Jetsun Milarepa

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”