Taoism Beginner

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Mephi_Faustus

Need some help on beginning Taoism, any recommendations such as book, or advice, etc?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: immortal

here are some free online books:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/index.htm
...and a lot more.

find a meditation technique that suits you. this will help strengthen your inner will and awareness.

do some study on wu-wei (action through non-action). find out what that means.

allow yourself some flexibility in regards to what you will to experience.

learn about everything under the sun. and try to apply it--test it as best you can.

know yourself then trust yourself.

mmm, thats a fair bit. take your time...

/EDIT:
learn the difference between taoist religion and taoist philosophy because they are not the same.

"Laotzu's Tao and Wu Wei"
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/ltw/index.htm
... some of it is wordy but worth the read.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: VERTIGO

Yeah, it's pretty much it.
Also, you should read something about qigong (meditation + movement and gymnastics + energy work ??? yum yum i say!), on this regard i particullary recommend you "the Way of Qigong" from Kenneth S. Cohen, it's GREAT on so many levels reading it almost HURTS :D
Also check out Mantak Kia and the "Secret of the Golden Flower" (when you're more expert!)
Also you might be interested in taoist talismans (about whom i've got few informatiosn, but i heard something about a "master" called Wilson Yong, his website's a cheesy, but whatever) and I Ching (obviously).

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: LucianAccendus

Ave

Recommended reading list: Tao Te Ching, Tao of Pooh, Te of Piglet, Tao of Star Wars (actually very well written).

Listen to the other guys (vertigo beat me to the golden flower reference). As for more practical taoist alchemy, there is a book series, the first is called "Fusion of the Five Elements" though the authors name escapes me.

Deo Duce Comite Ferro

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

It's from Matak Chia. Good autor, sometimes he gets weird.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Raal

Laozi, Chuangzi, Liezi for a start- you can download those authors from the internet in more or less recent translations. After that buy books by Taoist scholars like Livia Kohn, Isabelle Robinet, Marcel Granet and Saso. After that you can also travel to taiwan and China, and do not forget to study the I Ching (Yi Jing) thoroughly cause it is very important, too.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Frater Mugen

[QUOTE=VERTIGO;305471]
Also you might be interested in taoist talismans (about whom i've got few informatiosn, but i heard something about a "master" called Wilson Yong, his website's a cheesy, but whatever)...[/QUOTE]I consider myself a beginner in the study and practice of Daoism myself, and everyone has been giving some great advice. However, I personally find Wilson Yong's book to be dubious. His website is http://www.taoistsecret.com/ if you are interested in checking it out, but the fact that his 166 page spiral bound book on Taoist Talismans is US$89 is disgusting to me. You can download the PDF for $39, but in my opinion that is still ridiculous. Unfortunately, I know of no other book in the English language that is marketed for the reader to create their own talismans. Some scholars of Daoism include sections of their books dealing with talismans, but I have not seen it dealt with to any great extent as to be practical for an occultist wanting a system of magic using Daoist talismans.

If you can read Chinese, the below sites might be of interest (they display collections of talismans which can also be found in the Daozang, or Daoist Canon)
Personally I am more familiar with Japanese and it is difficult for me to read straight up Chinese, so I have yet to fully explore and understand the first collection. But I already have the second collection that I will post in Japanese to refer to. If anyone who knows Chinese that can correct me on false assumptions I make, please do.

上清瓊宮靈飛六甲左右上符
http://www.taoismdata.org/product_info. ... ts_id=1923
The above talismans are from the Shangqing (Highest Clarity) sect of mystical Daoism. The highlight of the text are 60 talismans corresponding to the 60 combinations of the ten Heavenly Stems and the twelve Earthly Branches. I might be mistaken, but I believe they are all spirits of the designation "Jade Women", for example the first set would be "Jade Women of Great Mystery". Above each talisman is the Heavenly Stem and Earthly Branch combination, what I imagine to be the Jade Woman classification, and the name and style name of the individual spirit. I believe the original use of these talismans were to serve as an link and aid in order to visit the spirit through spirit flight or astral travel. If anyone can help in understanding the text PM me and/or post something up please.

太上秘法鎮宅靈符
http://www.taoismdata.org/product_info. ... ts_id=1924
These are 72 talismans to allow you to evade various misfortunes and achieve your desires. They are used for some pretty specific things, for example, the leftmost talisman in the second row is to prevent misfortune in your house brought about by a ghost of someone who committed suicide (this is according to my Japanese book).

If you can read Japanese, I would recommend you checking out 『霊符の呪法―道教秘伝』 大宮 司朗. The first half of the book deals with stuff like history, how to interpret some of the symbols on Daoist talismans, and a more formal and a simplified way to charge them. The formal method the author gives is mainly just a lot of incantations (EDIT: what I meant here is that the more extensive use of incantations is what sets it apart from the simplified method). The second half of the book is a catalog of 500 Daoist talismans. If you can refer to another text (like a legibly printed version of the Daoist Canon) that also has the talismans that might be good too, since sometimes the quality of the texts that these talismans are copied from aren't always perfect and sometimes there are different versions (for example, in the Canon itself I have seen three different versions of the first set of talismans I gave above). As another example, I have observed differences between the 72 talismans from the Chinese website and the 72 in my Japanese book and I'm of the opinion that for the most part the Chinese website had a more legible source to copy from. However, I also looked at a photo of these same 72 talismans that are at the Tensha Tsuchimikado Shintou headquarters (this is a Shintou family descended from Abe no Seimei and thus has connection to Onmyoudou - Way of Yin and Yang) and noticed some marked difference between those and the Chinese versions. So, I dunno, maybe you'll have to do something like use intuition to determine what would work best for you or what corrections might be needed.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

[QUOTE=Frater Mugen;305620] but the fact that his 166 page spiral bound book on Taoist Talismans is US$89 is disgusting to me. [/QUOTE]

To me too, now that i know it.:mad:
However, thank you for the info, it would all be really usefull if i knew chinese or japanese :D i'll take it as a sign of the fact that i need to learn a little of those languages sooner or later.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

this is a better version:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/ltw2/index.htm

btw thanks for the links guys...

china is a nice place to go to. (imo) almost need to be a taoist to appreciate it. it will blow your mind (in a nice way).

@ frater mugen : sorry i can only speak cantonese (erm and another dialect specific to one small province) which are oral dialects.

i imagine the construction of sigils would be alchemically the same as any other system but perhaps highly organised (think I Ching).

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Frater Mugen

[QUOTE=immortal;306144]this is a better version:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/ltw2/index.htm
i imagine the construction of sigils would be alchemically the same as any other system but perhaps highly organised (think I Ching).[/QUOTE] Yeah, there's always more than one way to charge a talisman. Of course, there are strict traditionalists who insist that there is, actually, only one way and those who assert that very specialized training and initiation must be endured before one can learn to master the various registers of Daoist talismans. I think traditional methods are important to learn about if possible, but not really necessary if you understand the fundamentals and have a good grounding in the various skills of an occultist. Personally, I feel some Daoists are too locked into tradition to the point that it blinds them from more effecient or effective methods. Though their training might make them amazingly skilled, having an open and creative mind can always lead to more progress. "Tradition" sometimes blocks this creativity and search for new ways. Otherwise they use "tradition" as a way to maintain their elite position as the holders of the esoteric secrets of Daoist magic. There are also, of course, sectarian differences in how magic is done.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

it will change. many won't be stopped by a slap on the head anymore because they aren't as fearful (good thing)...
...(imo) and that it shouldn't be that way. it just makes you frustrated and kills your work.

in a sense the traditionalists are "right" (to a degree) but as you put it: "having an open and creative mind can always lead to more progress", which is where the future is--not the past. the environment and the artifacts within it are changing and demand new approaches. new spirits have been evoked into being so with it is the underlying magick. it's better to get familiar with it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Sauriel
Mephi_Faustus;305455 wrote:Need some help on beginning Taoism, any recommendations such as book, or advice, etc?
Others have pointed you to books and energy cultivation arts. So let me simply offer this advise.
Sit outside, breath slowly from the stomach and observe everything that is happening around you without trying to interact with it.
The tao is the flow of things, when you start to understand why things flow and interact like they do, then you will begin to understand the tao.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Centrix

I hear they offer trips and retreats to Mt. Wudang and other sacred Taoist places in China. That is an authentic experience. You can be introduced hands on with the monks on Taoist diet, Qigong, Kung Fu, Alchemy, and culture. Books can not convey these things. Books are only for information and guidelines. You need experience for books to be useful. What better experience than to begin your study of Taoism in the areas where Taoism itself began.

Here is an example of such tours: http://www.eternalspringtours.com/

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: HoneyBeard

[QUOTE=Centrix;312595]I hear they offer trips and retreats to Mt. Wudang and other sacred Taoist places in China. That is an authentic experience. You can be introduced hands on with the monks on Taoist diet, Qigong, Kung Fu, Alchemy, and culture. Books can not convey these things. Books are only for information and guidelines. You need experience for books to be useful. What better experience than to begin your study of Taoism in the areas where Taoism itself began.

Here is an example of such tours: http://www.eternalspringtours.com/[/QUOTE]

Experience affords a mutiny of impulse and ego, recollection and reunition.
Many beginners should tease themselves of such vacations,
not all will live to regret lost time.
Draw yourself retreats, in them, play like a child, invite others there.
Here, they hear.
Why Tao? Nothing else appeal?
OH NO, DONT GET DRAWN IN! ;)

Get some reading material for the journey, Lawl.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Venefica

Can somone tell me exactly what wu-wei (action through non-action) is? And how that is practiced in the daily life.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

have you ever seen someone fighting with taiji Quan against someone of some other style?
If so you should have noticed the fact that the Taiji fighter almost never takes initiative: he forces the enemy to do so, and when the enemy attacks he "follows" his movements with his body, accepting his strenght, and thus transforming it is weakness.
Then, he strikes.
It should be a little more clear now.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Draginvry

[QUOTE=Venefica;312679]Can somone tell me exactly what wu-wei (action through non-action) is? And how that is practiced in the daily life.[/QUOTE]

This is difficult to describe, so I'll just say it right out.

The idea of action as people currently perceive it is flawed. People think you must "work" for a "goal" to achieve a certain end. While this isn't entirely wrong, it is far from accurate. You may have an idea that is not entirely unlike a goal, and you do something about it, but it can hardly be called work.

The true master knows that there is no distinction between action and non-action. One is not easier than the other, because neither exists. You are always acting. Even sitting on your buttocks is an act. But at the same time you aren't really doing anything and you never expend any energy, although most people perceive that they do.

That's why a true master can meditate while doing grudge work. It's because, from the master's point of view, he isn't actually doing work.

That's about as close as I can get to describing the phenomenon in words.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Great way to explain it,Draginvry, i tried a more indirect approach but i can see you said it better.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Draginvry;313119 wrote:The true master knows that there is no distinction between action and non-action. One is not easier than the other, because neither exists. You are always acting. Even sitting on your buttocks is an act. But at the same time you aren't really doing anything and you never expend any energy, although most people perceive that they do.

That's why a true master can meditate while doing grudge work. It's because, from the master's point of view, he isn't actually doing work.

Really? Oh prey tell, how isn't he expending energy? By believing he isn't? This explanation doesn't follow any logical pattern.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: LucianAccendus

Ave

Welcome to Taoism, centrix.

Anyways, the point of wu-wei seems to be the amount of awareness that you possess, of your body, mind, and spirit, knowing that even at the best resting state, you aren't at rest, and that the balance of 'rest' and 'non-rest' is what is presented (among finite other things) by the yin-yang. When you differentiate between one thing and another, you loose the Tao (or the Teh? both or either?)

Deo Duce Comite Ferro

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Wu-wei isn't an issue of understanding.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Thank you for the information Vertigo. I can not say I completely understand but it is a bit more clear now. So you say it is letting things happen and only acting on what is happening not initiating things one self?

Centrix I would say Wu-wei definitely is an thing to understand. Is not all things? What would we do whit concepts if we did not try to understand them?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Study more about it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

What is study other than a quest to understand?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Taoism Beginner

Original post: Draginvry

[QUOTE=Centrix;313219]Really? Oh prey tell, how isn't he expending energy? By believing he isn't? This explanation doesn't follow any logical pattern.[/QUOTE]

That's because the concept is beyond logical reasoning. It cannot be truly explained or practiced logically. That's why you can see someone doing it, like a practiced Taiji master, but you can't do it yourself while thinking about it. In fact Wu-Wei requires no thinking at all, logical analysis doesn't do much more than distract someone practicing it.

Also, malicious sarcasm is not an effective means of learning Wu Wei, even from a logical standpoint.

A (possibly) better explanation for Wu Wei is to think of a river. The river flows to the sea, cutting through the earth with immense power. But the river never actually "forces" itself to the sea. It flows naturally. In a similar way, someone practicing Wu Wei flows naturally, never having to make a decision nor second guess himself. The practicioner commands mighty power without ever having used any force. Like the river, he cuts through his environment without ever having spent any energy. The water that reaches the sea is the same water that came from the spring. In a similar way, the master is undisturbed and unaffected, having done only that which is the natural course for him to do.

But again, it can only be done, not conceptualized. You won't believe it any more than you did before unless you experience it yourself. This can be said of much of Eastern thought, particularly Taoism. That's why they say the Tao that can be named is not the true Tao, because the act of naming is nothing more than logical analysis, but the act of doing is personal experience.

You can continue to judge me if you like. Or you can ask questions in which you honestly seek wisdom. The decision is yours.

@Venefica: This might help some.

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”