Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Sharandarikali

Essence of Ninjutsu
By Toshitsugu Takamatsu
33rd Sôke, Togakure Ryu

Toshitsugu Takamatsu

The heart of the martial arts is self-protection. However, the essence of self-protection lies in ninjutsu because ninjutsu also protects one's spirit. Therefore, without the proper spirit in martial training, one can be led to ruin.

For example, medical technology is dedicated to saving life but the misuse of it can kill people. Eating and drinking are for nourishment. However, overeating harms the body. Politicians are responsible for the governing of countries and the protection of its citizens. When these politicians are greedy, ignorant, and afraid to commit their lives to their endeavors, they only bring about disorder and cause suffering. A religion, when it is sincere and steadfast, can inspire people to protect themselves, make their families thrive, and benefit the society. When it is corrupt, it destroys people and puts the nation in jeopardy.

Therefore, if you are a master of the martial arts and practice ninjutsu, you will gain the most essential secret of all methods. This secret is called shin-shin shin-gan, "the mind and eyes of god."

This is to know tendo, "the way of heaven." The truth of heaven excludes all evil spirits and is absolutely correct. People must have faith. This is the only justice which exists in heaven and in people.

Wood, fire, soil, metal, water and spring, summer, fall, winter cannot exist without the earth. The five elemental manifestations and the four seasons balance the earth in the same manner as heaven is balanced by truth.

If a person is honest, virtuous and faithful, he is walking on "the path of heaven". When he goes with the path of heaven, he is following the will of heaven. This is the mind and eyes of god. Therefore,a ninja has to be a sensible and righteous person. Ninjutsu methods of perseverance can also be understood as methods of perception. A ninja is always calm and never surprised by any situation.

This is the Togakure Ryu martial way.

Toshitsugu Takamatsu

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: moonburn33

All I learned from Shanobi Jitsu was how to rip out a person's throat in their sleep. Boy did I get shortchanged.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Koran

I actually practice that kind of martial arts! I've also trained with Unsui Manaka, the top student of Masaki Hatsumi.

The lineage goes...

Takamatsu-sensei - Hatsumi-sensei - Manaka-sensei - My sensei - ...Me??

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Koran

Manaka sensei founded an organization of ninjutsu martial arts called Jinenkan, descending down from Takamatsu-den martial arts. I'm a member of Jinenkan.

I've practiced these styles under Manaka-sensei and my sensei, Adam-sensei.

Togakure-ryu
Gyokko-ryu
Takagi Yoshin-ryu
Koto-ryu
Kukishin-ryu

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Skeptismo118

It isn't actually Kukishin-ryu, but rather Kusihinden Ryu Happo Bikenjutsu. The difference is academic to most Takamatsuden folks but the Kuki Family and Takamatsu himself was pretty clear on the distinction.

And what, no Shindenfudo ryu?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

I learned to punch things.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Sharandarikali

[QUOTE=Koran;304560]Manaka sensei founded an organization of ninjutsu martial arts called Jinenkan, descending down from Takamatsu-den martial arts. I'm a member of Jinenkan.

I've practiced these styles under Manaka-sensei and my sensei, Adam-sensei.

Togakure-ryu
Gyokko-ryu
Takagi Yoshin-ryu
Koto-ryu
Kukishin-ryu[/QUOTE]

How is transcendental material approached in the Jinenkan? In the Bujinkan this is concealed in Honbu dojo itself at the highest levels of training. Is it approached earlier in the Jinenkan? I am not familiar with the Jinenkan or Manaka so forgive my ignorance.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Kath_

I kinda think that the modern sniper is the embodiment of the essence of ninjitsu.
targeted lethality + high tech weaponry (hey a ninja's tools were state of the art in their day, even kinda james-bond-ish)

sorry, we now return you to your regularly scheduled 'traditional' ninjutsu. :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Tsumaru

This reminds me of a message my Sensei sent us one time. I shall quote it here, for your interest:
To my disappointment I find that some of you appear confused as to what the study of Budo is really about. Budo translates as simply "to put down the spear". Thus in real Budo we reach a point where the paradox of the martial arts reveals itself to us, namely: We study methods of combat as a means of refinement - as a means of becoming people of peace, love and of joy.

One of the greatest headmasters of the Togakure Ryu was at the same time the Abbott of Daitokuji Zen temple in Kyoto. His identity at the time as a Ninja master was unknown to all but a few. Those who did know were other high level members of the Ryu-ha.

From the time he succeeded to the position of Abbott the temple underwent a resounding increase in interest from sincere people aspiring to become monks. The temple flourished in spiritual terms as a true centre of spiritual teaching and learning.

Shortly before his death he arranged a meeting in secret with his loyal high level Togakure Ryu Ninja. It came to pass that they convinced him to invite operatives 'further down the scale' as it were. He agreed to this without hesitation - very unusual behaviour for a headmaster of the Ryu who was still alive to expose himself to such a risk. Although only some had known his identity up until this time, they all knew of his reputation and prowess in matters of combat and his capacity for rightly guided leadership. He was known as "The Invincible One".

On meeting with them, he invited questions from them all. One question he was asked by one of the more enthusiastic operatives was, "What weapon do you believe to be the finest for all types of battle?" His answer surprised all but a few. We are told he said the following:

"Love alone can protect us. Not powder (bombs or guns), not katana, not shuriken, nor spear or arrows. I have only one weapon. That is love. Did the temple grow from my invitation? No, it was my love that drew people there. Like a magnet my heart attracted all the 'iron filings'."

The operative said, "But I follow the Way (indicating spiritual pursuit), why was I not attracted to such a 'magnet'?"

To which the Abbott replied: "In order to be attracted to the magnet, the iron should be free from rust and dust! You yourself are full of pride and egotism. So necessarily you think only of battle, not of peace. As long as men's actions hurt others, there can be no peace - only pieces. Let all your actions help others. You may think you need not bother when others are suffering. Who knows what is in store for you in the next moment? If you wish to fulfil your destiny, to live a good life full of meaning and joy, then lay down the spear. Seek the company of those dedicated to helping all. Understand the nectar of the way of Ninpo and do not sully its flowers with the road of anger, frustration and war. The only war that you need wage is the war on the ego and self-absorption. Study earnestly and learn to life Ninpo and enjoy the honey of peace through our martial way. I have nothing further to say - this is my message."

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: ulawsxil

Considering Ninjustu is a secret martial arts, the the oringins shrouded in mystry.

Words like Zanshin,mushin,the nine cuts, and the nine gates are certain techniques that
helps one gain the essence of ninjutsu..

special forces around the world use various techniques found in ninjutsu and other martial arts, its worth noting china also employed ninjas, its worth accepting certain techniquse are lost through time, so its always difficult knowing whats the true arts.

One brand of ninjutsu is the same of the other, each ones has the essence of ninjutsu, one is superior to the other.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Talus

ninjutsu is a great addition to any library. The 9 cuts, for example, are a great thing for rookies to practice. you better recognize foo :p

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: BigJonMud

Geez, I trained for 9 years under several different sensei's, including one guy who learnt from Hatsumi then went to train with him some more and never came back.

I never got close to anything in that beginning article.. more like how to dislodge a mans ribcage with 2 fingers.. lol and that blackbelts have paid more money than theother students which somehow makes them better.
I've since learnt Kuji-in and wish that i'd learnt it from my master

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

I think that we got hoodwinked, Jon. I think that what people don't understand is that jitsu arts aren't about spirituality. They're about combat. That's it. You can learn some pretty fucked up shit, but it is always practical battle-oriented stuff. If you've ever been in an all out fight, that's all the spirituality you'll ever need (or be able to handle). Anyone who tries to make a Jitsu art into a Do art is trying to screw you over.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Ninus

[QUOTE=Tsumaru;307702]This reminds me of a message my Sensei sent us one time. I shall quote it here, for your interest:

Quote:
To my disappointment I find that some of you appear confused as to what the study of Budo is really about. Budo translates as simply "to put down the spear". Thus in real Budo we reach a point where the paradox of the martial arts reveals itself to us, namely: We study methods of combat as a means of refinement - as a means of becoming people of peace, love and of joy.

One of the greatest headmasters of the Togakure Ryu was at the same time the Abbott of Daitokuji Zen temple in Kyoto. His identity at the time as a Ninja master was unknown to all but a few. Those who did know were other high level members of the Ryu-ha.

From the time he succeeded to the position of Abbott the temple underwent a resounding increase in interest from sincere people aspiring to become monks. The temple flourished in spiritual terms as a true centre of spiritual teaching and learning.

Shortly before his death he arranged a meeting in secret with his loyal high level Togakure Ryu Ninja. It came to pass that they convinced him to invite operatives 'further down the scale' as it were. He agreed to this without hesitation - very unusual behaviour for a headmaster of the Ryu who was still alive to expose himself to such a risk. Although only some had known his identity up until this time, they all knew of his reputation and prowess in matters of combat and his capacity for rightly guided leadership. He was known as "The Invincible One".

On meeting with them, he invited questions from them all. One question he was asked by one of the more enthusiastic operatives was, "What weapon do you believe to be the finest for all types of battle?" His answer surprised all but a few. We are told he said the following:

"Love alone can protect us. Not powder (bombs or guns), not katana, not shuriken, nor spear or arrows. I have only one weapon. That is love. Did the temple grow from my invitation? No, it was my love that drew people there. Like a magnet my heart attracted all the 'iron filings'."

The operative said, "But I follow the Way (indicating spiritual pursuit), why was I not attracted to such a 'magnet'?"

To which the Abbott replied: "In order to be attracted to the magnet, the iron should be free from rust and dust! You yourself are full of pride and egotism. So necessarily you think only of battle, not of peace. As long as men's actions hurt others, there can be no peace - only pieces. Let all your actions help others. You may think you need not bother when others are suffering. Who knows what is in store for you in the next moment? If you wish to fulfil your destiny, to live a good life full of meaning and joy, then lay down the spear. Seek the company of those dedicated to helping all. Understand the nectar of the way of Ninpo and do not sully its flowers with the road of anger, frustration and war. The only war that you need wage is the war on the ego and self-absorption. Study earnestly and learn to life Ninpo and enjoy the honey of peace through our martial way. I have nothing further to say - this is my message."
[/QUOTE]

This quote is awesome. Please tell me more about this person.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Kazahel

I dont know much about Ninjutsu, but I know alittle about Ninjukai Taijutsu. I think Ninjutsu was more americanized or somthing but I dunno. Anyway Ninjukai was pretty good.. and for us the spiritual side of it was focusing ki energy into the strikes and into our ki'i(not sure on spelling.. where you yell).. so when we hit anything we'd change ki'i accordingly. So finishing moves the ki was stronger ect. So it was about learning to feel and use ki in our movements and with the breath.

It was really full on fighting training and the other 'spiritual' side of it I guess was just training so much that it becomes second nature.. where you dont even think about what your doing. So you learn to flow really well and thats where the spiritual side comes in alittle. So you start with your white belt and your black head band thingy(I forget the name).. then after a few belts you'd change you head band to red writing(to symbolise blood and that you know nasty stuff etc(green/blue belt).. then you work up to yellow writing..(you are mellowing and calmer from learning to.. flow(you learn meditation and stuff at that level).. and eventually.. you get a white head band with black writing which was to symbolise inner peace I guess and not really needing to fight at all(but knowing how to at the same time). So while the belts of learning skills went darker in colour, the head band goes lighter after the initual learning of nasty skills. Something like that... I forget and only ever half listened anyway. So the spiritual side of it to me was just learning to flow.

Anyway do they use the same head band colours etc in Ninjutsu does anyone know?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

[QUOTE=moonburn33;317986]I think that we got hoodwinked, Jon. I think that what people don't understand is that jitsu arts aren't about spirituality. They're about combat. That's it. You can learn some pretty fucked up shit, but it is always practical battle-oriented stuff. If you've ever been in an all out fight, that's all the spirituality you'll ever need (or be able to handle). Anyone who tries to make a Jitsu art into a Do art is trying to screw you over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kind of.

Like, I trained with a crew who apprently franchised a bunch of different martial arts in the late 80's when it was very popular and lucrative. Strangely enough, these guys took us out in the middle of winter to train in water combat at 4am in the morning. We were taught straightup deadly shit but I always believed there was something more profound than even blind-skill sensing and kickass 'finishing moves'.

It was very ninjitsu to me until I trained with the Hatsumi dude whose system was based on the 5 elements. Thats when I knew there was a real basis for power (and magick) within the system but he gave it to us real soft, and had to accomodate for a real broad range of skill and dwindling class numbers. It wasnt until I began to Chan (Zen) Kung Fu 10 years later that I started to join all the right dots together, and feel really good about askig more. SO, the weird thing is that I was ripped off early on from any depth (instead of the strictly military shit they put me through at 11 yrs old, but ultimately what I like to call 'the current' of the art', commenced to reveal more of itself to me through psychic means. Thru the good ol' chaos stuff. Then it gets verified through a condensation of expierences and one realises that we're blessed to have a net to catch it all.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

early on it was hard training and basic magick, later on it was pussy and much deeper but still diluted.

Anyone got into Kuji-in? Im still hoping its allthere for when I actually get to it

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Tsumaru
moonburn33;317986 wrote:Anyone who tries to make a Jitsu art into a Do art is trying to screw you over.
I guess it's fortunate then that Ninjutsu is only one aspect of Ninpo.
This quote is awesome. Please tell me more about this person.
Which person do you want to know about? I can't tell you anything about the Abbott referred to in the story. My sensei, on the other hand...
Let's start with his grade. My teacher, Sensei Steve McKeown, is presently 9th Dan. However, he has turned down his 10th Dan grading on several occasions (though his reasoning he had not told the younger of us). So, yeah, that's his current grade.

As for history. He originally learnt under Soke Hatsumi when he first went to Japan. After a while (can't remember how long) he entered the dojo of Sato Kimbei. To enter, he had to sit in seiza for 2 hours straight, and then get up and walk (I think there was some particular thing related to the walking, though it may have just been in a straight line unhesitatingly or something - can't really remember the details). However, after this he still wasn't in, he had to spend time cleaning the dojo, and then shortly after that he was only allowed to act as uke (getting beat up), without really being taught the techniques. Eventually he was allowed formally as the student.

Sato Kimbei was his main teacher. However, he also trained under Fumio Akimoto and a bunch of others who I can't remember. Eventually, he came to Australia for whatever reason and set up a dojo down in Melbourne. Which is how I've been training under him. He formally retired around 2005 and handed the dojo over to his top student.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: blackadder

Masaki Hatsumi good scroll and sword collection, though lineage Ninjutsu master, I doubt it. A master of Kukishin ryu indeed, though he is not taken very seriously regarding ninjutsu in Koryu Bujutsu circles. Ninjutsu suddenly came about after meeting Stephen Hayes, his first book mentions nothing of it, either he convinced him to go public(I doubt this) or gave him the idea to sell Ninjutsu to the West, more interesting and profitable than bone setting.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: Skeptismo118
blackadder;322575 wrote:Ninjutsu suddenly came about after meeting Stephen Hayes, his first book mentions nothing of it, either he convinced him to go public(I doubt this) or gave him the idea to sell Ninjutsu to the West, more interesting and profitable than bone setting.

Not true. Hatsumi and Takamatsu had both worked on Shinobi no Mono as consultants specifically because of the Togakure-ryu/Momochiden claims of Takamatsu to Ninpo in 1962 more then a decade before Hayes first arrived in Japan. Hatsumi was already teaching Ninpo, including to non-Japanese such as Doron Navon a few years before Hayes arrived as well.

Hatsumi was not the only one to receive menkyo kaiden (and ura-soke status) in Togakure-ryu Ninpo during the period that Takamatsu was teaching this art. The other two Ninpo related arts that Takamatsu passed to Hatsumi also have other independent lineages. Tanamura, during his intial break from Hatsumi tracked this man down, along with sever other of Takamatus's students, to get their blessings to continue to teach Takamatsuden arts.

Originally it seems that Takamatsu had considered integrating Momochiden methods into the Kukishinden arts, generating a Kukishinden Ninpo during the 1950s, but as his relationship to the Kuki family waned he decided against it. Durning his later years he brought this material, which he claimed to have learned from Toda, under the banner of Togakure-ryu as a kind of cap-stone to Gyokko-ryu and Koto-ryu.

Hatsumi's first book, concentrating on the Hanbo techniques of the Kukishinden, was just that, a book on the Kukishinden. That is an Ishitaniden art seperate from the Momochiden arts so their lack of representation there is not a surprise.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: blackadder

Thanks for the information, I did not know that. However, imo, it is still only hearsay, having scrolls does not make one a lineage ninja master. The majority of schools he claims to be heir to arts are not really ninja arts, it is just use of a generic term-as you seem to be aware of.

Can't take much away from him though, its sound bujutsu he teaches. I have also had some interesting experiances, training with some advanced students in this art.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: BrotherM

I also trained with Steven McKeown in Melbourne before I left the country... I was a poor student :) It warms my soul to hear about him.

Lineage is one thing, but training under somebody like Steven is an amazing experience. He radiates, literally, an aura of calm - like there are a hundred pixies doing the LBRP and MP all around him continuously... I guess this is the balance they talk about.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: yoshino

I was surprised by this article.

In Japan,it is thought that Ninja and Ninjutsu have already been lost in 150 years or more ago(Meiji,which is Japan westernization era.Also,a lot of customs were lost).But,it is actually existed in Western :D

Ninja's main task is spy and assasin.Dark mission.
Unlike Samurai or Budou,Ninjutsu is spy tech rather than marsial arts.
They not consider Good or Evil,but tend to consider useful or unuseful.

I think that Ninja is not "Spiritual".Perhaps,many Japanese think too.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: tuvw963

Welcome to our power leveling,We are professional company,our wow gold,ffxi gil,eve isk,conan gold price is reasonable. If you compare the prices betwween us and other companies,you can easily find out

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Essence of Ninjutsu

Original post: MatthewK

[QUOTE=yoshino;353988]I was surprised by this article.

In Japan,it is thought that Ninja and Ninjutsu have already been lost in 150 years or more ago(Meiji,which is Japan westernization era.Also,a lot of customs were lost).But,it is actually existed in Western :D

Ninja's main task is spy and assasin.Dark mission.
Unlike Samurai or Budou,Ninjutsu is spy tech rather than marsial arts.
They not consider Good or Evil,but tend to consider useful or unuseful.

I think that Ninja is not "Spiritual".Perhaps,many Japanese think too.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely accurate, actually, Hatsumi has been teaching for over 30 years now and is well known in Japan. The popularity of ninjutsu was on the wane for a while and exploded here in the west around the mid-70s or so, and when Bujinkan dojo began to spring up here was when it became fully accessible (locally, anyway - I wouldn't say it's easily accessible, but it is accessible). But the tradition has been kept alive in Japan and people have known of it.

Among most practitioners I've shared study with in the Bujinkan it's been generally agreed that spiritual ideologies within martial arts is a grounding element that provides philosophical equations and answers questions of morality (or inherent amorality) of... well... hurting another person physically. Quite seriously if needed.

Ethics within the Bujinkan are often explored from a spritual angle. It's where I first began to understand zen Buddhism and Mikkyo, at any rate, and I personally will never discount the value of spirituality that practising with the Bujinkan has brought me.

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”