osho

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: zara spook

first off, i apologize if this topic has already been beaten to death here. i'm new and for some reason, i can't get the search function to work for me.

i'm just curious: what do people think of "osho" rajneesh in general?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Jenfucius

Simply dont drink the Kool-aid!

To be serious most people consider his group to be a cult. When I say cult I mean the modern meaning of cult (like Jim Jones's The Peope's Temple, David Koresh's Branch Dravidians etc)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

so does anyone take his teachings seriously? does anyone think that he actually was 'enlightened," as he claimed he was?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Son of mr. gordo

zara spook,

You should have been here about a year ago when there was a 5 page thread on the infamous "Osho." I reiterate Jenfucius' statement. Personlly, Osho and his organization is a cult. As tantrik John Mumford has stated:
My friend, Dr. Georg Feuerstein, put an ironic spin on the term "NeoTantra," coined by Rajneesh [now known as Osho - Ed.] to describe his approach of combining human potential psychology with tantric philosophy. Rajneesh, by the way, was not initiated into traditional Tantra, and his entire movement is a modern invention.
http://www.llewellynjournal.com/print.php?id=360

Further information:

http://www.rickross.com/groups/rajneesh.html

SoMG

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Mmothra

My take on this (for those who care about my opinion :lol: ) is that "enlightenment" doesn't mean perfect, or necessarily even ethical...particularly when one is dealing with something like tantra which is "beyond good and evil". It is difficult at the best of times to seperate the guru from the teaching not to mention determining to what extent it is appropriate.

Osho has written some very good books and was probably a wonderful teacher for some people. However, there have been others damaged by his organization and, presumeably by him personally. est/Werner Erhardt, Chogyam Trungpa, Da Free John/Adi Da...the list could go on and on; all of them have been perceived as con-artists or otherwise un-guru-like. Some are creepier than others but discernment and smart shopping are essential aspects of the process.

So, should you throw the baby out with the bathwater? That is ultimately your decision, just be very, very careful as you proceed and ask lots of questions of organization representatives, texts, and yourself.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: doh

I personally found some of his meditation techniques helpful. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but, on a meditation front, I found it to be what I needed at the time and still use some of the methods today.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

up until very recently, i knew virtually nothing about osho and his flock. other than a short osho chapter in "rebels and devils" i had never read anything by him - or about him, for that matter. then i ran into one his hardcover books on zen, on sale at a walden books for about 5 bux. i read it and liked parts of it quite a bit. so went out a got a few more of his books - all on zen and taoism - and thought they were, for the most part, pretty good too. but then i started digging up more and more about him as this infamous cult leader and i started to have doubts.
tom robbins, who is a big fan of robert anton wilson, tim leary, john lilly, et al, seems to admire osho. he seems to think all the rolls royces was a big enlightened joke of some sort.
i guess i'm confused.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

It is confusing. The bottom line is the utility you find in the teachings. You don't have to sign over your bank account to utilize meditation techniques. If you like what you are reading, use it as a jumping off point for other authors.

No knowledge should ever be wasted...just as it should never be swallowed whole. Dig?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

[QUOTE=Son of mr. gordo]zara spook,

You should have been here about a year ago when there was a 5 page thread on the infamous "Osho."[/QUOTE]

so is this archived anywhere? somewhere a newbie can get to it?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

We were hacked a few times in the recent past and all the archives lost. You might be able to find it using Google's cache search.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

so does "enlightenment" even exist?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Depends on who you ask and what you mean by "enlightenment".

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Yes and No. :wink:

Kensho Shmensho

Enlightenment

SoMG

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Amur

http://www.osho.com/Main.cfm?Area=Magaz ... ge=English

Osho zentarot cards rock :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Joe Blob

for traditionalists, Osho is the devil.

for people like me, he's a breath of fresh air.

a cult?

there are many stories around what happened in Oregon and quite a few other "scandalous" events. I never met the man but I have a lot of respect for someone who let everything happen around him, all the madness, without interfering. I believe only a master could handle such a circus.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Kinjo

[QUOTE=zara spook]so does anyone take his teachings seriously? does anyone think that he actually was 'enlightened," as he claimed he was?[/QUOTE]Why don't you decide for yourself :) his own words: Me, Enlightened?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

[QUOTE=Joe Blob]for traditionalists, Osho is the devil.

for people like me, he's a breath of fresh air.

a cult?

there are many stories around what happened in Oregon and quite a few other "scandalous" events. I never met the man but I have a lot of respect for someone who let everything happen around him, all the madness, without interfering. I believe only a master could handle such a circus.[/QUOTE] Theres quite a number of cult watch sites you can look up under Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. Its quite interesting.

If I recall correctly the case was basically that he was wanted by the FBI when members of his flock placed salmonella in salad bars causing 700+ cases of food poisioning back in the early eighties.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Mr. Blind

If you look in the How do I meditate thread over in the beginner forum there is mention about osho but I think it is just two people bantering about it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Gavriel

[QUOTE=Kinjo]Why don't you decide for yourself :) his own words: Me, Enlightened?[/QUOTE] ... I'm taking him seriously.

Peace.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

[QUOTE=Mr. Blind]If you look in the How do I meditate thread over in the beginner forum there is mention about osho but I think it is just two people bantering about it.[/QUOTE]

I believe I was one of the banterers involved in that. My anti-Osho stance is unabashed! :lol:

G

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: coyote_no_mind

very seventies.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: Sud Ram

wow, another Osho thread :)

Osho was a great guy in my opinion. Read, enjoy, meditate and dive into his creation.

The food poisoning scandal was real, but the responsability has clearly been shown to be of the person called Sheela and not Osho.

nice to see the Gordo man kept calm this time :P

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

I'm not sure I understand. I was calm the first time Sud. It must be your own projection. : )

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Osho has been controversal I must say.

I wouldnt mine having 93 Rolls-Royces or 365 cars or a six milion dolar ranch. :lol:

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

osho

Original post: baphomette
Jenfucius;142081 wrote:Simply dont drink the Kool-aid!

To be serious most people consider his group to be a cult. When I say cult I mean the modern meaning of cult (like Jim Jones's The Peope's Temple, David Koresh's Branch Dravidians etc)

he is simply beyond his own image. he infuriates alot of folks and he mesmerizes more. in between that is alot of fun, chaotic, grounding pasture...it's up to you to find it.

i consider him in that crazy wisdom, renegade/maverick trickster lineage such as idries shah, christopher hyatt, robert anton wilson, crowley...many more.

i think he played all sides of the coin. infinite edge included.

perhaps the clearest of them all, but beware of the cataracts and floaters...not all are yours....:evil:

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”