Onmyōdō

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Son of mr. gordo

Onmyouji writes:

Hello all. I thought you might find this interesting, so, like others who have posted articles here, I have posted one on Onmyōdō. Please enjoy it.

- Yoshiaki Abe

Onmyodo

-The Architect of Japanâ??s Formative Years-

Introduction

Religion in Japanâ??what word does this evoke in the mind of the East Asian Studies scholar? The answer to this question will usually be Shinto and Buddhism, the light and darkness of Japanese religion. These two religions have had an effect on Japanese history since the times recorded in the Kojiki, one of the earliest written historical account of Japan. Many times Buddhism and Shinto are said to compensate for what the other religion lacks. Shinto is the religion of birth and purity, and concerns itself with the life in this world, whereas Buddhism is the religion of death and reincarnation, and concerns itself with the life to come.

This harmonious symbiosis of religions in Japan signifies the attitude of the Japanese people-- the attitude of bringing the two opposites into a beneficent, mutual union. This state of complementary dualism between Shinto and Buddhism, however, â??should not be taken to indicate mutually exclusive beliefs and practices forming smaller or larger isolated religious traditionsâ?¦ One can find Shinto elements in a Buddhist service or Confucian studies taking place in a Buddhist monastery.â?Â

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

LadyHydralisk writes:

There is absolutely no mention of the Ainu yet they mention the prehistoric era of Japan. As usual the indigenous faction is left out of the history books. From what I remember much of the practices of Shintoism have borrowed from Ainu practices, yet the Ainu are loathed in modern Japan and were butchered or used as slaves when the Japanese barbarians invaded. I would expect at least a footnote there.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Onmyouji writes:

Well, there's not much I can say. I didn't write it. While I don't think that mentioning Ainu is critical to the topic, a footnote would probably have been good.

- Yoshiaki Abe

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Original post: Rin Daemoko
ONMYODO - TAOISM IN JAPAN
Copyright © 2003 James Deacon
Taoism first came to Japan during the sixth century A.D. though, while elements of both 'Religious Taoism' and at a later date, 'Philosophical Taoism' have had an unmistakable influence on Japanese religion, Taoism as a distinct, institutional tradition, never really gained a following amongst the Japanese people.

However, beliefs concerning the 'Taoist Immortals' and Taoist Paradises were 'adopted-in' to various streams of Japanese folk belief and mythology, along with Taoist mystical and medicinal practices.

For example, the koshin-machi, a popular Japanese all-night vigil undertaken as part of a longevity disciplines, is based on Taoist belief.

Also, elements of Taoist magic exist in Shinto practice, and more noticeably in the mountain-centred ascetic disciplines of Shugendo.

But probably the most important expression of Taoism in Japan was the ritualistic tradition known as onmyodo.

Central to onmyodo were the disciplines of astrology and Taoist Five-Element theory.

In onmyodo philosophy there was no particular concern with (or belief in) life after death. It's primary focus was on the identification and avoidance of troubles and disharmonies in the here-and-now. Through an understanding of the natural laws of the universe, and through the application of ritualistic practice based on yin-yang/five-element theory, onmyodo sought to bring order to a world perceived as being, in the main, completely chaotic.

Originally, onmyodo was closely aligned with the Imperial Household, and matters of state.

The onmyodo practitioners were consulted on everything, from the siting of the imperial capital, to the performance of state ritual, the interpretation of supernatural signs, and, most importantly, divining the fate of Emperors, Courtiers, and the nation.

Possibly the earliest of the onmyodo disciplines to reach Japan in the sixth century A.D was that of jugondo.

Jugondo was concerned with issues such as the vanquishing of monsters; curing of disease; freeing people, places and objects from possession by spirits (evil or otherwise); dispersing of apparitions, etc.

A highly ritualistic discipline, it incorporated Chinese medical practices, Taoist spells and charms, magic invocations, and forms of hypnosis to induce mystical states in the practitioner. In these altered states, jugondo practitioners would undertake feats such as fire-walking and pouring boiling water in their bare skin without harm...

Over the centuries, however, the various arts and practices of onmyodo gradually became absorbed into Shinto and Buddhist tradition, and also into the disciplines of the shugenja, and other ascetic groups, to the point where onmyodo - as a distinct tradition in it's own right - to all intents and purposes ceased to exist.

Today, the term onmyodo is unknown even amongst many of those people who, under a different name, practice the various surviving elements of this ancient mystical, curative, and magically ameliorative tradition.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Original post: Jenfucius

Thanks Rin! Nice article!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Original post: JoltJinx

Very very interesting.I enjoyed this article very much.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Original post: Dracophoenix

Thanks for starting this thread SOMG. It'll be very helpful to those wanting to know more and couldn't find much on the subject :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Onmyōdō

Original post: Yoshiaki_Abe

Hello all. It's been far too long since I was here last. Originally, when the essay above was posted, I didn't know who was to be credited for it, hence posting anonymously. However, because credit is always due, I must say that the essay is credited to Mr. Theodore H. Pastor, whom I believe wrote it as some sort of honors thesis. Unless things have changed, the original website he posted it on has disappeared from the internet, though last I spoke with him, it seemed that he did not mind the reposting of his essay here.

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”