Walking with Set

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: moonburn33

A week or two ago, I decided that I'd finally bite the bullet and get ahold of Set. I wanted to see for myself what he was about. Because I didn't know how he'd behave, I went far away from my condo and did it. When I got ahold of him, I headed for one of the cemeteries that flanks the property. It's a fairly quiet and "natural" area and I've worked with a lot of the dead there (plus, I gave Anpu permission to have his influence there). I have to say that I was surprised by him. I basically asked him to tell me who he was and what he was about. And he did that very well. Different people have different experiences of deity. One person will see devils where another will see angels. I was told that he was indeed the God of Liars and Thieves. I was shown how to bribe the spirits of Ma'at that are in charge of maintaining Justice. I was also shown what it was like to see the world through his "philosophy". I thought that it was going to be very primal, but it wasn't. It was very much about cheating the system. But not necessarily in a big way. You think of thieves as seeking the most wealth that they can get. This was very different. It was a more moderate approach. Steal only what you need to steal. Lie to get what you need to get. I don't necessarily believe in or share his philosophy, but at least I know what he's about (in my cosmology).

Also, when he came, it was in the form of a bird. I think that he meant to parody the Horus falcon... I'm not sure, though. It was a bird that I didn't recognize. He hung out on my shoulder for most of the time. When I was done, he flew off and I sealed up the portal that was opened by him. In my belief system, deities can only get here by poking a hole in the fabric of this world. You have to do your part by poking a hole from your side. Sealing it up is my version of "banishing".

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Original post: The Infinite WITHIN

[QUOTE=The Infinite WITHIN;374265]

about Cooking your own Resume:

Wanna' get ahead? Play the game better than the next guy.

Fuck your "ethics", fuck what you think is "fair".

Keep thinking something is somehow "owed" to you, that someone or something is always going to be around the corner to make sure the other guy plays by "the rules"

Makes obedient SLAVES of U.S. yet![/QUOTE]

http://www.occultforums.com/showthread.php?t=30228

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Original post: Magus Habilus

Sounds like you got the wrong "number"and 0siris payed you a visit.LOL

Every bit of that goes against everything my encounters have shown him to be,that being honorable and honest,Set teaches you how to use your current situations and abhorrs cheating,if you cheat,you don't learn or master a damn thing.true mastery is everything!

Set isn't hard to find,once you determine to be your own being,he's glad to come look you over,its not wise to "summon"Set either,he can however be invited,just be sure you don't insult him by using the old circle and triangle stuff,he's not a daemon and dosen't follow their rules.face south for his honor and simply meditate upon his teachings,if he likes what he sees,he will come.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Osiris is one of those guys that we refuse to discuss in our household. Anpu kind of isn't on good terms with him. We have Set show up from time to time to discuss something with Anpu. We have an odd household in general.

That's why I said "my cosmology" because I know a lot of people see Set as very different. I don't necessarily believe in LHP/RHP dichotomies. I think that LHP is ultimately the only healthy path and RHP is just an unhealthy attitude toward spirituality. It's not a path, it's a pathology.

I also work with Jehovah, who also takes a very DIY, "LHP" approach in his relationship to me (and others in my "community magic").

You see Set as something totally opposite to my perception of him. I absolutely respect that and wish you well on your path.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Well met. :)
However your dislike for 0siris is all the more reason for him to bugger with a fledgeling admirer of Set!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Original post: Daelach

[QUOTE=moonburn33;374246]I was told that he was indeed the God of Liars and Thieves. I was shown how to bribe the spirits of Ma'at that are in charge of maintaining Justice.[/QUOTE]

This is somewhat consistent with how I perceive Set. He isn't the noble, aristocratic warrior-king like, say, the nordic Tyr. Set doesn't care about nobility, only about necessity. To follow some kind of noble ethics limits oneself and inhibits possibilities.

If appropriate, Set would be the dagger out of the dark, from behind of course. No great announcement of the attack which only enables the prey to get ready for defence. Prey is best if caught off its guard. No predator warns its prey to "give it a chance". So, Set is not only a trickster, but also a warrior - albeit a dark one. He is not the samurai like Tyr, he is the ninja.

But then again, he is also loyal in his very own manner, sometimes with a mean sense of humor. When working with Set, and being inclined to him, one may get what one needs - but not always what one wants, and while success is at the end, the way by which it is achieved can be rather uncomfortable. But I bet he has his fun, if one may call it this way. Actually, AFTERWARDS, I also can laugh *g*

Although he has humor (a bit like Loki), I perceive him as a rather cold form of intelligence. Then again, there seems to be something which only very inappropriately may be described as friendship, kinship or the like.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

My relation with Set is one of Nobility, Elite even; with a Royal Aire about His Majesty.

and that his lessons don't come cheap.

You must give all you have, in the effort of affecting one's self to see any kind of reward.

Refuse to "pay it forward" and you wont see the remanifestation of a universe.

Instead, you'll be where you are forever.

Neglecting the initiatory power ShT and it's acquisition.

say about SET what you will, this is my relation.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Original post: MatthewK
Daelach;375542 wrote:...from behind of course.
LOL Oh, man, that's RICH.

This manifestation of Set was very SLC Punk-like... now, I'm not saying I agree totally with Magus Habilus, but... I don't know. Something seems "off". It might just be as you said - we all experience divinity differently - but there's a lot of friction here. Maybe someone did screw with you. Most of us experience something like this at least once, and while I wouldn't put my money on the Asar I would say to take in the details of the encounter over time, reflect upon what was shown to you and why it might not be Set.

Healthy skepticism is the only way to really learn something useful from these kinds of mysteries.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

No, I'm entirely open to the idea that I'm being messed with. I think that there's enough in the public record to suggest that I might be. I've been half tempted to repeat the meeting, only because it was really informal. Much more hasty than even I am used to.

So I think that I might do that. I might make an extended working of it and include some dreamwork in it as well.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Well, Set is the god of war. The first victim of war is fairness. You don't give your opponent more chances then unavoidable. If possible, you DO attack from behind. Arminius annihilated not less then three Roman legions - by ambushing them when they were in march order and not ready to fight.

Set is also the god of archery. Consider the battle of Agincourt where English longbow-archers slaughtered the French cavalry. Within 30 minutes, the outnumbered Englishmen killed up to 10000 Frenchmen which didn't have the slightest chance in the muddy terrain. But the whole point of bow and arrow is to kill the enemy BEFORE he can engage into a duel.

If you happen to be the winner, this assures automatically your "honour" because it's always the winner who writes history. In fact, it IS honourable to win with as few own losses as possible, be it by perfidiousness which afterwards will be called "good tactical planning".

It is precisely this certain meanness that I am inclined to Set for. IMHO, way too many have too peacy an arm-chair approach to Set and Xeper. There IS a reason why Set is somewhat dark, and that isn't because he's a perfectly nice gentleman who, unfortunately, is just being a little bit misunderstood.

OTOH, if one wants to get "Beyond Good and Evil", categories like honour and shame are to be overcome anyway.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

This too is true. However the main reason I'm skeptical of this manifestation being Set is because as you said, people do have a peachy armchair ideal of him - and this includes those who merely call him an evil, wicked god of the desert, or another version of Satan (which makes me want to vomit, seriously).

Set - to me - is beyond all of that. He's practically indecipherable and cruel beyond our reckoning, the "guidance" he would grant his supplicants might seem to get them ahead for years, or decades even, before there would be some ironical collapse of their entire worldview beneath the revelation that they've been pursuing a hoax. Their own view of his divinity and centrality.

This is the betrayal. Like it or not, a self-betrayal. So far as one "follows" Set, one is laying the groundwork for one's own demise in such a manner - I think this is something he'd find amusing for a moment. But it teaches you a lesson. It teaches you not to "follow" anyone... and to remain the central figure in your own life, which seems like a big "duh" for us when we look at it objectively, but really...

looking at how so many people write about Set Triumphant, leading us ever onward into enlightenment and crushing the false Christian god and blah blah blah, and all this romantic crap... it makes a hell of a lot more sense.

As for Kepher, I like to think of him as being somewhat indifferent also - like Set - but also a manifestation of one's power to control their own destiny. Sort of like Nergal, only Egyptian. Which means he's at the peripheral area of my studies, like Set... why is it that all of these Setians don't see the mockery they've made of their god by insisting all this time he's just another form of Satan? :rolleyes: Ah, well, he'd probably laugh at that too anyway.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

MatthewK;375964 wrote: and this includes those who merely call him an evil, wicked god of the desert, or another version of Satan (which makes me want to vomit, seriously).
Perfidiousness is not evil.. at times, it is just an efficient way. I personally don't think he's evil, but I see certain aspects which people might call him evil because of. Why would I be inclined to something which I myself regard as evil?

As for Satan, I don't think that Set "is" Satan. But within the xtian framework, Satan is a symbol which comes closest to Set - not because the similarity is so great, but because xtianity lacks a better symbol. As I don't think in xtian terms, I myself don't speak of "Satan".
Set - to me - is beyond all of that. He's practically indecipherable and cruel beyond our reckoning
Yes. But the point is that the reason is not his "cruelness" but rather limited human understanding of things which makes us regard something as "cruel".
the "guidance" he would grant his supplicants might seem to get them ahead for years, or decades even, before there would be some ironical collapse of their entire worldview beneath the revelation that they've been pursuing a hoax.
Possible, yes. But not because Set is so mean to Setians. The reason is that a human can understand things only to a certain degree which depends upon how developed the human is. It is perfectly possible that one works for years with something only to realize that it was an illusion - but to come to this realization, all the work was necessary for said human. I mean, hey, all magical systems finally reveal to be illusions.

I like the Japanese cherry blossom philosophy: The growing of the blossom, all its beauty only serves the single moment when the wind blows away the petals. Is the wind (or for this discussion: storm) then cruel?
It teaches you not to "follow" anyone... and to remain the central figure in your own life, which seems like a big "duh" for us when we look at it objectively, but really...
Maybe you interpret the term "to follow" too literally here?
looking at how so many people write about Set Triumphant, leading us ever onward into enlightenment
Set leads nowhere if the adept doesn't do the work himself. It is not like for an xtian who just "prays" and that's all. Set might give me some ideas here and there, or opportunities, but it's still me who walks the path by my own feet. Set does not carry someone. Set does not make things easier (as xtians expect their god to do it), but more interesting and more challenging.

It is not because of some recompense that I like Set. To me, this expectation would be some kind of prostitution, like some xtians which cling to their Jesus because they want to be rewarded with eternal paradise - and not because of pure kinship.
and crushing the false Christian god
Why should he? The xtians have their own way to go. The annoying thing with the monotheistic crap is that they tend to view their belief as "absolute truth" which everyone should or even must follow. Try to be an open Setian in an islamic land and look how far you would come.
As for Kepher, I like to think of him as being somewhat indifferent also - like Set - but also a manifestation of one's power to control their own destiny.
I apply kheper as a principal only. And this principle, of course, is indifferent.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

I STILL think 0siris was fucking with his head,Set would NEVER imitate him or horus.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Daelach - good post, and I agree with your points. I do have a more liberal view of individual gods capable of representing the sun at different seasons/times, though, and I see this possibility in Kepher. Having more experience with this pantheon, your mileage may vary. :)

Magus Habilus - There's just something about Set as a bird that seems wrong.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Walking with Set

Some argue his origins are that of A FISH

I'm not really sure if I think he was meant to take the characteristics of any one animal, or a few, or whatever.

As I think perhaps the expressors of his image didn't know how to express something beyond their immediate experience when dealing with a force from beyond.

Return to “Theistic Satanism”