Satan is a Christian myth?

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Satan is a Christian myth?

Post by Occultess »

Hi.

I just started trying to do the first assignment in this online Witchraft course (first class ethics). They put out some ethics/beliefs of Wicca, Buddhism, and LeVeyan Satanism.

It was mentioned, though, that Satan is a Christian myth and Satanists do not even believe in Satan as a God, just a symbol. I thought I would ask you about this. I mean, though a don't know a great deal about Satanism, it does seem to be true of some Satanists, that they do not believe in Satan as a deity or being at all, but...I'm under the impression that this does not go for all Satanists or types of Satanism. LeVeyan was the only type they had some things written outright from and (again) I'm under the impression that they do fall into the catagory of Satanists that do not believe in Satan as a being, but....the stuff that was written in this course, when talking about Satanists not believing in him as anything more than a symbol, was said in an all across the board sort of manner.

Ofcourse, so was stating that Satan is a Christian myth like it was fact, when that is (at the very least) debatable. There are earlier reliegions than Christianity that had beings that resembled Satan (for instance Tiamat to the Sumerian/Babylonian religions and Apep to the Egyptians). Though his appearance as having horns may be credited to Christian invention possibly in order to throw people off of worshipping Cernnunos and the like.

Anyhow, being that there are so many different varieties of Satanist (so far as I know) in this forum.....is this Statement about Satanists true altogether or is it too broad and/or incorrect?
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

cactusjack543
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Satan is a Christian myth?

Post by cactusjack543 »

as far as letters of devil said satan is a force of nature and material things thus comes a day to challenge such statements through sacrifce of war by get this satanics them selves. through worship and rituals weaken forces so for what was once a true recogonition of what satan was, could be faded into history. religion you say devil vs satan we as satanics always saw a difference but chose the satanic name so as to worship him its like bieng one and the same where others may be used to denying oneself we have learned it religious properganda religion control but through tribulation found it a useful tool in rituals denilability or what ever symbols we partray the edge one might say overlooking the truth of bieng religious controled.

witchcraft is famous for using the edged sword many have found it useful its perhaps the denilibility of satanics based on earth as a form of ballance to gain a form of control based on the prophessies of revealation where it is said in the coming days satan will be freed with the other angels and have a 1,000 year rest but we as satanics are we to set the children of the future towards all the angels bieng freed in a 1,000 years based on lies and properganda on the rules religions set forth to gain the edge we so desire

SharnNZ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SharnNZ »

Anton La vey's Church of Satan clearly states that they see themselves as Atheists, they do not see Satan as a literal God (they do practice magic however), which I am sure is what you have read about? To them Satanism is a philosophy and way of life, controlled and determined by themselves.

Other "devil worshippers" do see Satan as a true God or spiritual deity. Do a quick search and you will find plenty of information, cross examine it though, if your main resource is the internet beware the un or ill informed. Anyone can create a free website and make "factual claims"

It is thought that Christianity created hell and the ideology of Satan simply to scare the masses into following the Christian faith. But "Satan" was around long before Christianity...some say he was adapted from Pan. But really there are many pre Christian Gods and "demons" that can be labelled devils...nearly every belief system on earth has it's own version of heaven and hell, God and Satan.

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

The concept of the ha-satan exits in Jewish text prior to Christian creation. The idea of an adversary exists prior to that. Culture for ages have changed the idea of what or who the adversary is. I have more info in the luciferian doctrine thread.
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Thanks, guys!

Guess I'll put that in the Incorrect Information pile.

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

No it was correct. Satanists are atheists and see Satan as a symbol. Some "devil worship" groups also call themselves Satanists just to confuse things, but if the book is referring specifically to LaVey's Church of Satan then its correct.
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Muloc7253 wrote:No it was correct. Satanists are atheists and see Satan as a symbol. Some "devil worship" groups also call themselves Satanists just to confuse things, but if the book is referring specifically to LaVey's Church of Satan then its correct.
It refered to LaVey's Church in a part of it, but not when they said that they only see Satan as a symbol. Basically, it was like....there was a box that had the moral code of LaVeyan Satanists in it. But above the box said something like, "Satanists do not believe in Satan as a deity, they see Satan as a symbol." I would have totally accepted that statement if it had said LaVeyan Satanists, but it only said "Satanists" which to me would mean, all of them. Ofcourse, the box of moral codes only included those of the LaVeyan type of Satanist, so maybe it was implied that the statement refered to them specifically. I don't know. At the very least it wasn't being very clear that there are other ways of looking at it among Satanists.

And, also, I suppose it's possible that, considering the earlier bold statement that Satan is fiction (on account of the perspective of the person who wrote that portion of the course being Wiccan and not believing in Satan's existance) may have lead her to believe that Satanists who see Satan as a symbol were the only ones in existance, or maybe just that they were the only ones who were right (both groups seeing him as fake). I have no idea. Just throwing things out here.

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

Well, they are the group most largely known as Satanist, most other groups (as far as I'm aware) distance themselves because they don't want to be confused with Lavey's church. Like the Temple of Set developed from Lavey's church but they went with the more primordial name for the same for, Set. The Church of Satan is a registered church so even though there might be much smaller groups calling themselves Satanists the CoS are legally "official" Satanists if you know what I mean. They could have included a footnote saying that there are other groups with the Satanist name, but really not a lot of them as far as I'm aware use that title...they'll usually specify Luciferian, Setian etc. before Satanist.
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

fnord
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fnord »

Occultess wrote:I would have totally accepted that statement if it had said LaVeyan Satanists, but it only said "Satanists" which to me would mean, all of them.
Hello,
Prior to 1966 no one had formed an official, above ground, registered religion/philosophy and called it "Satanism". In this context, LaVey coined the phrase and defined its usage in modern lexicon.

To us (Satanists), a belief in a deity called Satan is the realm of the reverse christian or the devil worshiper.

Also, Satan is seen as symbolic but it goes much deeper than a nodding of the head. There are traits displayed by Satan (and all other forms of the ideal) that are embraced as personal truth. Serious students of Satanism will each be able to define why they apply the moniker to themselves.

It is not a casual undertaking.

We (the Satanist collective) draw a distinct line between ourselves and grovelers. A black sheep is still a sheep.

Napeai Zong
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napeai Zong »

Jews and christians "demonised" the Pagan Gods, the original Gods of humanity, so Demons and the Pagan Gods of old are the same. No, the confuse them with negative entities, which also called demons, but they are obviusly not. According to our Gods Satan (his name means justice in every variation in the sanskrit language, so don't take him as a negative entity) is the sumerian God named Enki, but he has many names all around the world. Like Ptah, Loki, Melek Taus etc. Sadly I didn't had the chance to meet with Him personally, but I learned some things frim his Demons. Anyway you can take Father Satan as a symbol if you want to, a symbol of justice, freedom, rebellion, but still he is much more than that.

And I said I don't want to talk about my religious views here, and now look what am I doing.. Whatever, you asked.:)

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

And I said I don't want to talk about my religious views here, and now look what am I doing.. Whatever, you asked.:)
I'm glad you did.It's fine to share these views,in context with the topic discussion.There are all sorts of practioners here,some of us are Religious others are not and that's fine too. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Napeai Zong
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napeai Zong »

Nahemah wrote:
I'm glad you did.It's fine to share these views,in context with the topic discussion.There are all sorts of practioners here,some of us are Religious others are not and that's fine too. [thumbup]
Alright, I will keep it that way then. :)

SerpensCultus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SerpensCultus »

Satanism, in the Theistic sense, is more or less a Gnostic religion. This is nothing new or recent, though the terminologies may be. Then again, the English language itself is recent in comparison to all these ancient variants of religions and practices and their original languages, so that is rather subjective and besides the point. Anyway, there have existed many religions that believed the demiurge, the creator of flesh and the causal plane, Jehovah in this case, was nothing more than a deceiver of humanity. To explain, before creation, underneath creation, and after creation, there exists a primordial, lawless void of nothingness. The demiurge creates law out of lawlessness, thus assigning this otherwise formless, undefined mass to an imprisonment of static form and definition. The primordial void is then personified as the hidden god, oftentimes in the form of a dragon or serpent, and is titled as the adversary of creation, the destroyer or the devourer that wishes to ultimately liberate itself from the temporal, mundane reality, that it may then reign eternally and deathlessly in chaos everlasting. As you can see, according to this Gnostic way of thinking, Satan would be the true god of humanity, being that he'd be the primeval void that predated flesh and the demiurge, and taught man to discern between the real and the unreal, the temporal and the eternal, by eating of the tree of knowledge.

Hope that was elaborate enough without being too esoteric. I know many, particularly those affiliated with LaVey or the JoS ministries, would strongly disagree with this school of thought.

cactusjack543
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cactusjack543 »

Napeai Zong wrote:Jews and christians "demonised" the Pagan Gods, the original Gods of humanity, so Demons and the Pagan Gods of old are the same. No, the confuse them with negative entities, which also called demons, but they are obviusly not. According to our Gods Satan (his name means justice in every variation in the sanskrit language, so don't take him as a negative entity) is the sumerian God named Enki, but he has many names all around the world. Like Ptah, Loki, Melek Taus etc. Sadly I didn't had the chance to meet with Him personally, but I learned some things frim his Demons. Anyway you can take Father Satan as a symbol if you want to, a symbol of justice, freedom, rebellion, but still he is much more than that.

it is interesting satan i watched constantine leader of the pack a most famous song 911 was horible 4th of july was darn good symbol of injustice perhaps city laws he inforces in rebellion

Chrode
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Chrode »

Occultess wrote:Hi.

I just started trying to do the first assignment in this online Witchraft course (first class ethics). They put out some ethics/beliefs of Wicca, Buddhism, and LeVeyan Satanism.

It was mentioned, though, that Satan is a Christian myth and Satanists do not even believe in Satan as a God, just a symbol. I thought I would ask you about this. I mean, though a don't know a great deal about Satanism, it does seem to be true of some Satanists, that they do not believe in Satan as a deity or being at all, but...I'm under the impression that this does not go for all Satanists or types of Satanism. LeVeyan was the only type they had some things written outright from and (again) I'm under the impression that they do fall into the catagory of Satanists that do not believe in Satan as a being, but....the stuff that was written in this course, when talking about Satanists not believing in him as anything more than a symbol, was said in an all across the board sort of manner.

Ofcourse, so was stating that Satan is a Christian myth like it was fact, when that is (at the very least) debatable. There are earlier reliegions than Christianity that had beings that resembled Satan (for instance Tiamat to the Sumerian/Babylonian religions and Apep to the Egyptians). Though his appearance as having horns may be credited to Christian invention possibly in order to throw people off of worshipping Cernnunos and the like.

Anyhow, being that there are so many different varieties of Satanist (so far as I know) in this forum.....is this Statement about Satanists true altogether or is it too broad and/or incorrect?
Satan is for all satanists just a symbol because Satan is a christian character, but for theistic satanists represent Satan an actual deity. Some satanists worship one god and other multiple gods.
There are different types of satanism but they are all under the same religion. Central for all satanists is that Satan is a symbol for a force in the universe that can be invoked and the opposition to the lawreligions.

Serenitydawn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Serenitydawn »

Satan is for all satanists just a symbol because Satan is a christian character, but for theistic satanists represent Satan an actual deity. Some satanists worship one god and other multiple gods.There are different types of satanism but they are all under the same religion. Central for all satanists is that Satan is a symbol for a force in the universe that can be invoked and the opposition to the lawreligions.

No offense, but I disagree. I've met and researched many types of Satanism. There are probably more types of Satanism than there are main stream religions. As everyone said above some believe in Satan as a deity and some use him as an icon. The Satanic Reds are a political group more than a spiritual or religious group. Aquarians deal with the god Enki. Temple of Set deal with Set, but believe in being a god unto yourself as opposed to bowing down and worshipping someone else. It seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only common thread of all the Left Hand Path seems to be going against the grain so to speak. The Temple of Set speaks of the left hand path as a focus on the self, however as I mentioned above the Satanic Reds are a political group which is certainly not focused on the individual self. There seems to be as many definitions of Satanism as there are Satanic groups.

*edit: had to fix the quote, was bugging me [grin]
Last edited by Serenitydawn on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of disociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Chrode
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Chrode »

Serenitydawn wrote:
Satan is for all satanists just a symbol because Satan is a christian character, but for theistic satanists represent Satan an actual deity. Some satanists worship one god and other multiple gods.
There are different types of satanism but they are all under the same religion. Central for all satanists is that Satan is a symbol for a force in the universe that can be invoked and the opposition to the lawreligions.[/quote]

No offense, but I disagree. I've met and researched many types of Satanism. There are probably more types of Satanism than there are main stream religions. As everyone said above some believe in Satan as a deity and some use him as an icon. The Satanic Reds are a political group more than a spiritual or religious group. Aquarians deal with the god Enki. Temple of Set deal with Set, but believe in being a god unto yourself as opposed to bowing down and worshipping someone else. It seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only common thread of all the Left Hand Path seems to be going against the grain so to speak. The Temple of Set speaks of the left hand path as a focus on the self, however as I mentioned above the Satanic Reds are a political group which is certainly not focused on the individual self. There seems to be as many definitions of Satanism as there are Satanic groups.[/quote]

I agree there are many types of satanism but all the satanic groups can be put together in the same religion. Satanism is a religion so all satanists are religious but atheistic satanists are normally not spiritual focused. Tempel of Set is not satanism but is a religion in the left hand path like satanism. Correct me if i'm wrong but Satan is a character created bye the christians to hold people away from the pagan gods. So satanists can't believe in Satan because they don't believe in the concepts of evil vs good.

cactusjack543
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cactusjack543 »

Nahemah wrote:
ill talk about satan but that includes the ruler of hell. as we are all aware of or are we long ago in 2001 i freed all demons and angels from hell. within my schizophrenic mind for 2 years i freed every soul from hell and the perly gates were opened placed time periods and matrix many forces to be the new ruler in hell. with me bieng the only gate keeper of the new hell mindya nn ha anymore questioned them you going to change hells angels name in 100 years and they withdrew from hell just last month.

in revelations it warns of frieng hell and in constantine the movie thats why the seperation of satanic and devil

Return to “Theistic Satanism”