Introduction to Demonolatry

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Introduction to Demonolatry

Post by Napoli »

Demonolatry, as the name suggests is the worship of demons. The word demon has been derived from the ‘daemon’ or ‘daimon’ meaning lesser spirit or god. It also means devil in Christian mythology. The literal meaning for demon is divine beings replete with wisdom, originating from the Greek daimon which simply means divine power. At first glance it looks like Demonolatry is a variant of Satanism or a form of Demonology without the worship. But that is not the case. It is, to the modern Demonolator, the practice of calling on elemental or pure energy forces known as demons to aid in projecting one's will onto an object or person through use of ritual magic. It’s not necessary that one has to be a Demonolator to work with the demons and to do its magic. Just like one can burn a novena candle to the saint even if one is a Hindu, the case is the same here. Recently, people have started to work with the Goetia which I believe were not originally part of the traditional Dukanté hierarchy, although some demons their do overlap. I will come to it later.

Demonolatry is a clandestine tradition. It predates Satanism and some are of the opinion that it has some similarities with religion of the Yezidis. If one looks at their book ‘The Black Book’ one may find out beings similar to demons mentioned there under different names, which many term as angels. Like many Demonolatry sect traditions, the Yezidis pass their faith to each subsequent generation creating a strong generational priesthood as a result. Demonolatry have been brought into the light by Richard Dukanté. To do this he gathered information from private grimoires of traditional Demonolators all over the world. He also had the opportunity to visit the demons in their planes. Unfortunately, he could not finish his work before he passed away.

So, why do theistic Demonolators worship the demons? To do this let us look at the concepts of deity-

1. The divine force we worship as we are at its mercy.

2. The divine force whose wisdom we trust in.

3. As a divine force we respect and choose to work with harmoniously. Which means we respect the deity by paying homage to it (worship).

Demonolators worship the demons or their deities in the second and third sense. They don’t grovel to the demons, declaring their own worthlessness, asking for mercy and favour. Demonolatry like LaVeyan Satanism is also about the divine potential of one’s own self. For us (both theistic and magicians) demons are our mentors and guides. If you ask for their help they will guide you and occasionally help you in the background. But a demon never helps those who does not help themselves (sounds familiar to a certain saying?). They don’t even like us grovelling to them as inferior beings like some religious people do. We pay homage to them which is a healthy exchange. There is no pact making here because Demonolators don’t like to work with them in the Goetic style. We never summon them against their will. We cast circles not for our protection but to balance the energies. We never banish them or give ‘the license to depart’, instead we simply ask them ‘to go in peace’. But if some do tend to cause problems we invoke the beings from our own pantheon to deal with them.

So what is the universal cosmology of Demonolatry? Here, is our very own Tree of Life derived by S Connolly. If you want more details on there are articles on http://demonolatry.org/library-archives/black-serpent/
http://demonolatry.org/library-archives ... downloads/

Kether- Satan
Chokmah- Lucifer
Binah- Unsere
Da’ath- Lucifuge Rofocale
Tiphereth- Belial
Yesod- Flereous
Geburah- Leviathan
Chesed- Verrine
Hod- Eurynomous
Netzach- Amducious
Malkuth- Self (you, me and everyone else)

The qlippothic side of the Tree of Life is the same as the traditional correspondence, but unlike many Kabbalists, Demonolators consider these beings as merely another hierarchy, nothing ‘unclean’ or negative. Jung had said, “No tree can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”

The following are the nine demonic divinities-

Satan- The All
Lucifer- Air
Belial- Earth
Flereous- Fire
Leviathan- Water
Unsere- Life
Eurynomous- Death
Verrine- Positive polarity
Amducious- Negative polarity

Please note beside these attributes these demons also have other abilities, for example Verrine is the demon of health.

So what is the difference between Demonolatry and Satanism? In Satanism Satan is the godhead and the primary deity. In Demonolatry if a practitioner chooses a particular demon as one’s patron/matron, (s)he will become one’s primary deity. All the others will become secondary including Satan. There is also another difference. Take for example Leviathan. In Satanism Leviathan represents the chaotic force of emotion. But in Demonolatry he is the master of emotion. If I am not wrong Satanism stands as the antinomian paradigm to Christianity. Demonolatry stands on its own.

What is the difference between Goetic and Dukanté hierarchy? To put it simply the Goetic hierarchy are mainly made up of djinns while the latter consists of old pagan gods. But beings like Belial and Astaroth belong to both these hierarchies. That is because Demonolatry is not only limited to Christian pantheon. We also have deities from Greek, Hindu and Egyptian traditions. While the Goetic grimoires describe their demons as having both animal like and human appearances, the Dukanté grimoire says that all demons with the exception of Eurynomous appear as human beings. The aforementioned Greek daimon appears almost as a skeleton befitting a demon of death. One Goetic magician who had worked with Belial said that he had appeared to him as a demon with a very haughty expression on his face. But the Dukanté grimoire states that Belial appears like a human being perplexed about some deep some mystery. I don’t know why there is such incoherency.

References- ‘The Complete Book of Demonolatry’ by S Connolly
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Introduction to Demonolatry

Post by cyberdemon »

thread moved to demonology and pinned for good measure
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Napoli wrote: Demonolatry like LaVeyan Satanism is also about the divine potential of one’s own self.
Edit: It's not LaVeyan but Theistic Satanism.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Frater Chiasmus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frater Chiasmus »

One thng I always found amusing was when the name Ashtaroth is used, I always giggle a bit. Mainly because according to Talmudic lore the early Hebrews despised Astarte and changed her name to a comical one, which added the root for "Bosheth" to the last part of her name and several Ba'als around the region. "Bosheth" is the word for "Shameful."

So the name of Ashtaroth/Ashtoreth is not some Demon from Hebrew scripture but a bastardization of the Goddess Astarte.
There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it.
- John Coughlin

devvy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by devvy »

Thank you for the great thread!

Could you be more specific about what it is that a deamon want from an evoker in return? Do they need you to do certain things in everyday life? I think this the most important question for newbies. I mean, would you give some examples?

Thanks [wink]

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

Give them candles, food, incense, energy
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

digitalwhispers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by digitalwhispers »

I'm a bit late to this but I'll see if anyone else bites. I've been reading the books b S. Connolly and J. Thorp.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

This is flawed from a Qabalistic viewpoint which system they draw from.

Kether- Satan
Chokmah- Lucifer
Binah- Unsere
Tiphereth- Belial
Yesod- Flereous
Geburah- Leviathan
Chesed- Verrine
Hod- Eurynomous
Netzach- Amducious

So is this:

Satan- The All
Lucifer- Air
Belial- Earth
Flereous- Fire
Leviathan- Water

Whoever devised those attributions was not conversant with even basic Qabalah.Its a misleading list of Qlippothic associations.

Given that.it will follow that any system or line of thought built upon it will achieve very little for one does not build a foundation on shifting sand.
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

I think that consistent correspondancies in a close system is important, but in my experience it would work because there are deeper associations that can be made. (there is a "tree of life" in every sphere and and shell, also the queen, king, etc scales). So that's why people have success when they use the traditional associations of colors to the chakras (Roy g biv) or other closed systems that work like those based on the tree of life. It's the same theory as combining the tattvas or how the enochian tablets work: Fire of water, air of water, earth of etc. So if one has had experience with a closed system of attributions and they have worked, they might be a bit different flavor from another, but it doesn't mean they don't work
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

violetstar wrote:This is flawed from a Qabalistic viewpoint which system they draw from.

Kether- Satan
Chokmah- Lucifer
Binah- Unsere
Tiphereth- Belial
Yesod- Flereous
Geburah- Leviathan
Chesed- Verrine
Hod- Eurynomous
Netzach- Amducious

So is this:

Satan- The All
Lucifer- Air
Belial- Earth
Flereous- Fire
Leviathan- Water

Whoever devised those attributions was not conversant with even basic Qabalah.Its a misleading list of Qlippothic associations.

Given that.it will follow that any system or line of thought built upon it will achieve very little for one does not build a foundation on shifting sand.
Connolly gave the explanation as to how she came up with the correspondences. Please, check the PDF link below (starting from pg-18) In Demonolatry, these entities belong to the Tree of Life. As for the Tree of Death, they are the same as the traditional Kabbalistic correspondences. As I have mentioned before, Demonolatry stands on its own rather than acting as an antinomian path for the Abrahamic traditions.

http://www.demonolatry.org/blackserpentsummer2006.pdf
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

fraterai wrote:I think that consistent correspondancies in a close system is important, but in my experience it would work because there are deeper associations that can be made. (there is a "tree of life" in every sphere and and shell, also the queen, king, etc scales). So that's why people have success when they use the traditional associations of colors to the chakras (Roy g biv) or other closed systems that work like those based on the tree of life. It's the same theory as combining the tattvas or how the enochian tablets work: Fire of water, air of water, earth of etc. So if one has had experience with a closed system of attributions and they have worked, they might be a bit different flavor from another, but it doesn't mean they don't work
Firstly,there are no indications that the system described is open to further adaptation.It is from a book written by someone who in their own words is uninitiated and she writes general fiction, fantasy fiction, and paranormal fiction as S. J. Reisner.

The link provided leads to a commercial enterprise,charging money for books,Tarot readings and merchandise.This is essentially aimed at beginners who will have no knowledge of how the information may be applied to other lines of thought as you suggest.Therefore the attributions offered by the author are grossly flawed and but will be utilised by the beginner.Within her book the author gives recipes for 'Demonic Oils' which are allotted to various demons and devils and even these are flawed as the correspondences are a confused mish-mash sourced from many different systems.

The pdf link simply reiterates the flawed line of thought and misinformation.It follows only the authors tradition of Qabalah which is at odds with what is generally accepted.

The author also writes occult/paranormal mystery novels (with Daemonolater and Satanic characters) as Audrey Brice, bdsm/erotic romance and horror as Anne O'Connell.

I doubt there is much magical worth amongst that!

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

violetstar wrote:
fraterai wrote:I think that consistent correspondancies in a close system is important, but in my experience it would work because there are deeper associations that can be made. (there is a "tree of life" in every sphere and and shell, also the queen, king, etc scales). So that's why people have success when they use the traditional associations of colors to the chakras (Roy g biv) or other closed systems that work like those based on the tree of life. It's the same theory as combining the tattvas or how the enochian tablets work: Fire of water, air of water, earth of etc. So if one has had experience with a closed system of attributions and they have worked, they might be a bit different flavor from another, but it doesn't mean they don't work
Firstly,there are no indications that the system described is open to further adaptation.It is from a book written by someone who in their own words is uninitiated and she writes general fiction, fantasy fiction, and paranormal fiction as S. J. Reisner.

The link provided leads to a commercial enterprise,charging money for books,Tarot readings and merchandise.This is essentially aimed at beginners who will have no knowledge of how the information may be applied to other lines of thought as you suggest.Therefore the attributions offered by the author are grossly flawed and but will be utilised by the beginner.Within her book the author gives recipes for 'Demonic Oils' which are allotted to various demons and devils and even these are flawed as the correspondences are a confused mish-mash sourced from many different systems.

The pdf link simply reiterates the flawed line of thought and misinformation.It follows only the authors tradition of Qabalah which is at odds with what is generally accepted.

The author also writes occult/paranormal mystery novels (with Daemonolater and Satanic characters) as Audrey Brice, bdsm/erotic romance and horror as Anne O'Connell.

I doubt there is much magical worth amongst that!
Connolly is a also a High Priestess of Demonolatry. She has written plenty of books that are non-fiction. She did not make this tradition up. I am also acquainted with several traditional Demonolators who come from a long line of such lineage. I am also closely acquainted with someone who used to work as the Assistant Priestess. I assure these people know their stuff.

I understand if you may not agree with her. I am not a huge fan of Connolly for personal reasons. However, she is not someone you would say does not have credibility and only writes fiction. She is well-known in the occult community.
Last edited by Napoli on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Speaking oleums and oils not in line with 'traditional' correspondences, I think Demonolatry has its own correspondences. These items are indeed effective. Take it from a practising Demonolator herself. I am merely an amateur but I can say they work.

By the way this from her SJ Reisner site-

This was my original nom de plume. I first published business trade journal articles under this pen name along with a short sword and sorcery fantasy story, “A Sorcerer by Any Other Name” in Sorcerous Magazine and later at Alexandria Digital Literature (an idea before its time). Don’t freak out. I’m going to talk about myself in the third person for a minute… (actually I copied and pasted this from my contributor page over at demonolatry.org)

S. Connolly’s areas of study and practice over the years (since 1984) have included necromancy, divination, herbalism, LaVeyan Satanism, Wicca (she actually went through formal Gardnerian pre-initiate training and lied about her age to get in, but never went through with initiation because it wasn’t for her), Traditional Witchcraft, Traditional (Theistic) Satanism, Santeria, Thelema (no formal OTO involvement), Ceremonial Magick, Enochian Magick, Hermeticism, Khemeticism, Qabbalah, Rosicrucianism, Ancient Canaanite and Western Semitic practices, and Daemonolatry.

Ms. Connolly has been practicing Daemonic Magick since 1984, and has been an initiated Daemonolatress since 1990. She is the co-founder and High Priestess (traditionally ordained) of the Ordo Flammeus Serpens, a small Daemonolatry Sect out of Colorado. She was formally trained and initiated into Daemonolatry by Selinda Dukanté, daughter of Richard Dukanté, creator of the Dukanté Hierarchy. She is an actively practicing Daemonolatry magician with over 25 years experience in Goetia and Grimoiric Magick as well as kitchen witchery. She is also a Hekau Priestess (in training) in the O.T.H., a magical order within the virtual TTS, which is a sub-group of HOLLCA (a Daemonolatry Order).

Also a Rosicrucian, she holds a Master of Metaphysics from ULC Seminary. She has taught online classes in Qabbalah, Gematria, Magick, Daemonolatry and Meditation since 1999 and regularly speaks at conventions, trade shows, and conferences on a variety of topics.

She is the author of The Complete Book of Demonolatry, The Daemonolater’s Guide to Daemonic Magick, the classic Modern Demonolatry, The Art of Creative Magick, Daemonolatry Goetia, Kasdeya Rite of Ba’al, Honoring Death: The Arte of Daemonolatry Necromancy, Curses, Hexes & Crossing, Infernal Colopatiron, Nuctemeron Gates, Sigillum Diaboli, Necromantic Sacraments, Keys of Ocat: A Grimoire of Daemonolatry Nygromancye, The Goetia Workbook, and Wortcunning for Daemonolatry.

Her work also appeared in: Qliphoth Opus III: the Cycles Ov Primal Chaos (The Path of Nasa & Alchemical Catharsis, Dec. 2013, Nephilim Press), and Anthology of Sorcery: Book 1 (Pacts With Daemons, 2014, BALG) alongside some of the most revered occultists of the 21st Century. She has also edited and/or contributed to collections of work for DB Publishing including Daemonolatry Rites, Ater Votum: Daemonolatry Prayer, and My Name is Legion. Formerly, she was the editor of and a regular contributor to Black Serpent Magazine. She now serves as an acquisitions editor at DB Publishing.

I don't see any reason why she cannot be considered credible.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

The link provided leads to a commercial enterprise,charging money for books,Tarot readings and merchandise.
This is true, I checked, so the linkage has been altered to show the pages with free magazine issues for download and the free pdf files that are also on the site.

We don'r promote commercial sites, but we will allow free and legal download pages to be shown.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Nahemah wrote:
The link provided leads to a commercial enterprise,charging money for books,Tarot readings and merchandise.
This is true, I checked, so the linkage has been altered to show the pages with free magazine issues for download and the free pdf files that are also on the site.

We don'r promote commercial sites, but we will allow free and legal download pages to be shown.
That was strange. I checked the link myself after posting it. How can I avoid this issue in the future? I didn't mean to post any link to any commercial site.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

It's fine Napoli, it was easy to fix and part of the job, so no worries.

If members inadvertently post a commercial link, I'm happy to change/ fix, as are the other staff and we don't hold it against members for doing so.

Blatant or persistent attempts to get advertising or pay sites on the forum are a different matter entirely.

Back to topic now:

I also fail to understand how writing fiction disqualifies an author from being a credible Occult writer, as I have several friends who do both, more than competently and whom are regarded highly within and without the occult community. Chaos magick is just one paradigm that comes to mind here,as an example, as it has epic writers across both forms of authorship.

One hat does not fit all and individual mileage varies greatly, though, as it is true that there are writers who stink at both and those who achieve much more in one field than the other, just like people do in all walks of life. However, it's not an universally justifiable claim.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Nahemah wrote:It's fine Napoli, it was easy to fix and part of the job, so no worries.

If members inadvertently post a commercial link, I'm happy to change/ fix, as are the other staff and we don't hold it against members for doing so.

Blatant or persistent attempts to get advertising or pay sites on the forum are a different matter entirely.

Back to topic now:

I also fail to understand how writing fiction disqualifies an author from being a credible Occult writer, as I have several friends who do both, more than competently and whom are regarded highly within and without the occult community. Chaos magick is just one paradigm that comes to mind here,as an example, as it has epic writers across both forms of authorship.

One hat does not fit all and individual mileage varies greatly, though, as it is true that there are writers who stink at both and those who achieve much more in one field than the other, just like people do in all walks of life. However, it's not an universally justifiable claim.
I fully agree that some authors are also competent Occultists but I could not reach that conclusion in this particular case.

Napoli has already said :
"I also think we need to spread more awareness of certain New Age ideologies which are false and/or dangerous. I wasted a year of my occult journey relying on New Age sources that taught me basically nothing." and following the line of thinking from other members,my intention was to help beginners separate non-initiated teachings from those offered by competent writers and speakers.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I fully agree that some authors are also competent Occultists but I could not reach that conclusion in this particular case.
Perhaps, but your wording was unclear and it came across as a generalised statement.

The below quoted is from another topic altogether and it rather confuses the discussion somewhat, given that this topic we are posting in now is an old one and it was you who revived this by posting here. Adding a quote from another topic, which I believe is more recent ( I will check) and may or may not reflect a change of thought in the OP, therefore seems somewhat disingenous in intent.

This quote is from the What do we need to see more of in the Occult community thread and it was posted on 28/03/2017
Napoli has already said :
"I also think we need to spread more awareness of certain New Age ideologies which are false and/or dangerous. I wasted a year of my occult journey relying on New Age sources that taught me basically nothing." and following the line of thinking from other members, my intention was to help beginners separate non-initiated teachings from those offered by competent writers and speakers.
Though I do feel it's only fair to add that I am not sure why initiation has been claimed to bestow competence upon Occult writers. I've read utter bullshit from initiates of orders many times over and found pearls of wisdom from writers who do not work from or within group dynamics.

Also, when I checked, the post is not the same as quoted here:

Re: What do we need MORE of in the occult community?
Postby Napoli » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Tolerance and less arrogance. Many occult communities online seem to look down upon the LHP practitioners, or even refuse to offer them help. I came to OF after getting sick of the vanity of 'advanced' occult practitioners of a certain forum, who loves nothing better than to put others down and even bully the amateurs. The same goes for charging insane amount from practitioners just because they are the master, high priest or something.

I also think we need to spread more awareness of certain New Age ideologies which are false and/or dangerous. I wasted a year of my occult journey relying on New Age sources that taught me basically nothing.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum
We have a short edit window on this site, so Napoli didn't change the content.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

There was no intent to misquote.I simply copied and pasted the relevant part of Napolis statement.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

...and following the line of thinking from other members, my intention was to help beginners separate non-initiated teachings from those offered by competent writers and speakers.
Nevertheless, this above was not posted by Napoli.

Please ensure in future any quotes made in a topic are from the topic concerned and are accurately quoted.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

If you look I used speech brackets to indicate what Napoli said.It also related to the topic as I was attempting to help her distinguish between what she described as having wasted her time and that which she might find merit in.

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

I cannot say that the correspondences from what Napoli posted to the tree of life are incorrect AKA Kether-Satan. But it seems to me that when you use someone elses word (SATAN) you are using their definition also. Now, if this system had its own unique original names for these beings that represented what they say Satan represents, then I would have no disagreement at all. The fact that they use these names would suggest that they are actually undermining the system they came from and that it is what they say it is, which is worshiping the demons of Judaism and Christianity. This idea can easily be defined by recognizing why these beings have these attributes according to Judaic religions and comparing the suggested attributes from this demonology system.

Essentially it comes down to what the religion represents and what their Gods ask of their believers. Satan is Satan is Satan... to Napoli Satan is great, to a Jew Satan is evil. Still, this system should not correspond Kether to Satan, as it simply is NOT Kether. Ive had this difficulty many times in reading and understanding occult matters... why even use another system's name at all? This is why all of this is called "paganism"- because pagans object to the ideas proposed by the leading religious thought. If it were individually its own system, then fine. Why graft yourself onto them in the first place is what I want to know.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

This is because for us Demonolators Satan is all. You can put also put god Amun's name there if you follow the Egyptian tradition. For us, Satan is the manifestation of the true divine rather than an angel of Yahweh and ruler of only the Tree of Death. As I have mentioned in my OP, Demonolatry is supposed to originate from the religion Yezidis who are supposed to worship Melek Taus as long as they are here on Earth. He is the first emanation from the Source, or to put it in another he was the first creation of the Source and was later given the right to be worshipped.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

But why do they use the name Satan?

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Many believe Melek Taus to be Satan. For some, Satan is the true god who is concerned about our freedom from the Demiurge. As a result he was villified as a fallen angel.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Return to “Theistic Satanism”