How to become a better occultist

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Basically, the only way to become an occultist is through study and through taking time to learn things. Yes, you can just pick up a book, leaf through it to the first ritual and go through the motions, but you will get much, much more out of the occult if you actually take the time to learn how things work.

Now, Im not saying you have to take years to get there, but it definitely helps to have read at least the basics on the paradigm you plan on pursuing, or at least know what occultism is for a start. Occultism isnt evil, its just hidden - thats what the word means. You dont need to worship Satan to be an occultist, you just need to be interested in the occult - the 'hidden mysteries' of the universe.

One of the things that the internet seems to have done to the occult is to have made it much more open to people, which is both good and bad. Its good because it means theres much less hunting for knowledge in bookshops and libraries, much less time spent searching and much more material readily available. Its bad because now the really complex stuff is just as easily accessible as the beginners material, and people who dont want to take the time to learn the basics dont have to and can just go right to the mastery level material, sometimes with disastrous results.

So yeah, thats why sometimes people such as me might get a bit grumpy when someone logs on and starts demanding that they be given magical spells to do insanely powerful acts, like summoning demons to full physical appearance, or completely dominating someone, or generating an infallible wishing spell, or any number of other things. Think of the occult like a profession almost - would you go up to a builder and demand that thy show you how to build a house? Nothing wrong with asking how to hammer nails, but a whole house?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a rant, but it might help someone or another realise why more experienced occultists dont jump at the chance to teach lesser experienced occultists how to summon Lucifer, or how to part the sea, or any other number of insane magical requests. That and half the things people ask are as good as impossible, but thats a different matter all together... [grin]

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: How to become a better occultist

Post by akimbomoss »

I agree with Case. But maybe they deserve what they get if they do try something above their heads? [devil]

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Great post man.

The analogy that's always worked for me is physical strength. You can read all the exercise guides and eat all the protein bars in the world, but you won't become fit or bulky or strong overnight, and if you attempt to do something that someone who's being training for years can do, you'll at best end up failing, and quite possibly do damage to yourself. So you start out slow, with achievable goals, practice regularly and gradually set the bar further and further as you grow until you can achieve those things you seek.

What do you think happens to someone who walks into a gym for the first time and attempts to lift 150kg's worth of weights? Either it won't budge off the ground or they do some serious damage to your body.

It's exactly the same with picking up a random book on the occult and attempt a feat like the ones Case listed. Just as weight lifting requires physical training, magic requires mental/spiritual/psychic (however you want to term it) training. If you attempt something absurdly advanced, you'll either fail or cause harm.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Dok
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Dok »

I have to say, being a total noob to the occult world, the internet is both a blessing and a curse.

It offers quick access to everything, yes, but it also makes it very difficult to search for accurate sources. When I tried researching Shamanism through Google, I got everything from Pay Per Spell websites to something that should have quite possibly been a My Little Pony website.

I think wanting to skip the lower levels practices is a common thread everywhere these days. I've realized that there really is not a way around. One may be a bit more adept at meditation or another practice, but you won't be some amazing God of the Universe overnight. I'm still trying to get myself into a normal practice of simple meditation, but it definitely takes discipline. Hopefully the need for discipline will weed out people who aren't in it for the full ride and simply want a quick spell to solve a problem without the full practice.

I'm hoping this made some sense. I may come back and edit this later to make it more organized. Long story short, I find myself agreeing with the OP (Case?) that everyone needs to spend time on the basics before moving into the more advanced practice.

Taiyounoryu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Taiyounoryu »

Another wonderful post Case. Seems like you always have something good to contribute man.

I totally agree. You can't really blame people for asking for spells to do crazy things. If you have no knowledge of the occult or magic, how are you going to know the reality of magic? To many people magic is just like fairy's and unicorns. Anything is possible if you know the right spell (to these people). Not to mention you can't build a house without the foundation. You can't start building the attic if the rest of the house isn't solid. I tend to find it's good to start people who are interested in the occult in psionics and mediation.

These two things will build alot of the fundamentals you need in a good variety of practices. Psionics is good because there is some scientific research behind it, so it makes "magic" more real. It helps get rid of some of the doubt. It also teach's people focus, and how to manipulate energy. Mediation is good, well the reasons are obvious and I can go on forever about why these are good places to start.

Akimbo, people dont deserve something bad to happen to them. I'ts like saying the four year old deserved to put his hand on the stove because he didnt know better. People who are new to the occult need a bit of guiding and looking after just like children. :p

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

Rin wrote: The analogy that's always worked for me is physical strength. You can read all the exercise guides and eat all the protein bars in the world, but you won't become fit or bulky or strong overnight, and if you attempt to do something that someone who's being training for years can do, you'll at best end up failing, and quite possibly do damage to yourself. So you start out slow, with achievable goals, practice regularly and gradually set the bar further and further as you grow until you can achieve those things you seek.
Hit the nail on the head. =]

Normally, I suggest starting by getting a firm grasp on what magic is, or what it is to you. It's like figuring out what muscle group you want to work, and then determining the best exercise for achieving that result. That's why I direct people to Ramsey Dukes, he lays out in pretty sensible terminology what magic is really about and how to start training those muscles without getting mired in a specific paradigm.

For me, it started when I realized that sometimes my superstitions made a difference, and I made a bet with myself that I could figure out how to make it more likely to rain. (I won, myself lost. XD) Because my insight was independent from the desire to be able to summon demons, I started to get a feeling for what magic really was at the core, and discovered what could be done with it after the fact.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

This topic now has added sticky goodness. [thumbup]

There is no substitute for doing the work.

Sometimes we can learn through a baptism of fire,this is true and emergency led/crisis magicks can be very powerful,however they do not teach consistency or indeed patience and diligence,lol.

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by akimbomoss »

There are 2 ways to go: the fast way and the slow way. I honestly don't know which way is better. If they want the slow way then read Carlos Castaneda and do the stalking.. or read Light on The Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar on the sutras of Patanjali.

But if they want to do it the fast way and post here first then we should help. By the fast way I mean somebody went and summoned a spirit or wants to meet a certain spirit. So if they started to run into trouble then we can guide them. The thing is they will almost always run into trouble because most spirits will try to awaken that person and they start AIWASSing. This is just a part of the process and usually the great spirit times these things so that they work out.

To give an example I have a cousin that had a guardian angel that seemed to do her good. She awakenened and wanted to cut herself open with a knife. My allies determined that this HGA was kind of a faker that she had picked up somewhere so I promptly told her to forget about her and informed her dad she needs therapy. Then I told her if she needed another guardian to take Sura. She's just a kid in a family with alot of stress so I was able to steer the situation to her advantage and found the anxiety she needed to talk about with her dad.

So when I said we should just let them do it I was kind of making a joke but I needed to fully explain myself.

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

I totally agree with your post Case. My take on the idea the occult being hidden has to do with the idea of how well a person is capable of abstract and conceptual thought. The occult will always be hidden, because it is related to a mind state that is uncomfortable for the mainstream.

In terms, of posters asking for cure-all, instant gratification spells, the occult as I see made up of subtle, complex, but mundane energies in the ethereal and astral planes. These energies are still what I would consider mundane, but not material. But to give an example in the material plane to make it clear, If I want to move a table to place, I need to know what a table is, and all the material structures involved in its movement.

I see the occult the same way, words are only mystical, when they are able to identify and distinguish all these subtle energies.

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

dodaive wrote:I totally agree with your post Case. My take on the idea the occult being hidden has to do with the idea of how well a person is capable of abstract and conceptual thought. The occult will always be hidden, because it is related to a mind state that is uncomfortable for the mainstream.

In terms, of posters asking for cure-all, instant gratification spells, the occult as I see made up of subtle, complex, but mundane energies in the ethereal and astral planes. These energies are still what I would consider mundane, but not material. But to give an example in the material plane to make it clear, If I want to move a table to place, I need to know what a table is, and all the material structures involved in its movement.

I see the occult the same way, words are only mystical, when they are able to identify and distinguish all these subtle energies.
I'm in agreement. While raw power of energy and belief MAY achieve some results, it's much easier to accomplish all magical goals when the subtle is understood.

Madavascus
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Madavascus »

All that has been said above is excellent, and I agree. [smile]

Here are some propositions I devised on how to become a better occultist. These are based on my personal experience as someone who has practiced occultism for over a decade. They are not organized in an order of importance.

1. Acknowledge that you are part of a golden chain of occultists, from the most ancient philosophers to the post-modern psychonauts. Honor your predecessors (and their invaluable work) by acquainting yourself with their ideas: these will strengthen your mind and assist you in the Great Work.
2. Be aware of energy, where ever and when ever possible.
3. Trust your intuition, or gut-feeling. If something does not feel right, it probably isn't. If it does, it probably is.
4. Be always open-minded to new possibilities, new methods and new theories. Occultism is an ever-evolving science.
5. Take pleasure in every occult operation. Have fun!
6. Acknowledge that what you do is at the apex of human experience, so do it with dignity.
7. Be bold. No occult or spiritual breakthrough is ever achieved by the timid.
8. Never be submissive or feel inferior to any entity, but avoid hubris and arrogance. Treat entities with the common civility and courtesy you would show a fellow human being, even if they are not human.
9. Embrace the Dark Unknown, the Great Beyond. That is, love the fact that there is ever more to learn, ever more to do, ever more to achieve.
10. Respect the Mysteries, and the personal gnosis of fellow occultists.

Although they are very Nazarene in character, I leave you with these two Latin stanzas from the Llibre Vermell de Montserrat, which I believe have tremendous value in encouraging us all to improve ourselves:

Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur,
Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur.
Ad mortem festinamus peccare desistamus

(Life is short, and shortly it will end;
Death comes quickly and respects no one,
Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one.
To death we are hastening, let us refrain from sinning.)

Ni conversus fueris et sicut puer factus
Et vitam mutaveris in meliores actus,
Intrare non poteris regnum Dei beatus.
Ad mortem festinamus peccare desistamus

(If you do not turn back and become like a child,
And change your life for the better,
You will not be able to enter, blessed, the Kingdom of God.
Incipit Chaos!

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by akimbomoss »

Madavascus wrote: 8. Never be submissive or feel inferior to any entity, but avoid hubris and arrogance. Treat entities with the common civility and courtesy you would show a fellow human being, even if they are not human.

I like these lines the best. When I start AIWASSing (disbelieve / fear) and thinking it's all in my head I tend to loose the best part of my ability to think hard. If it's a particularly bad thing I might need a whole day to recover. I have to admit though that after the trial by fire things are getting easier. I keep saying that and yet the metaverse still throws me curveballs in an unending rabbit hole.

In short, become like a child again and believe in your boat of spirits!

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

But if they want to do it the fast way and post here first then we should help. By the fast way I mean somebody went and summoned a spirit or wants to meet a certain spirit. So if they started to run into trouble then we can guide them. The thing is they will almost always run into trouble because most spirits will try to awaken that person and they start AIWASSing. This is just a part of the process and usually the great spirit times these things so that they work out.
I am happy to help someone in trouble,if and whenever I am able.

But I 'd rather not play a part in leading them there by the noseif I can help it ,either.An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure in most cases,i find.

But there is certainly somthing to be said for riding the Lightning path.It can be exhilirating,but like most extreme sports,it can be mindfuckingly draining on the down swing,lol,but seriously.

For the most part I am cautious and restrained these days,age and experience triumphing over youthful impulsiveness somewhat.But sometimes I still like to get primal and play in the dirt,indulge in some high risk,high buzz activity,just for the Hel lof it,lol. [greensmile]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

1. Acknowledge that you are part of a golden chain of occultists, from the most ancient philosophers to the post-modern psychonauts. Honor your predecessors (and their invaluable work) by acquainting yourself with their ideas: these will strengthen your mind and assist you in the Great Work.
3. Trust your intuition, or gut-feeling. If something does not feel right, it probably isn't. If it does, it probably is.
4. Be always open-minded to new possibilities, new methods and new theories. Occultism is an ever-evolving science.
6. Acknowledge that what you do is at the apex of human experience, so do it with dignity.
8. Never be submissive or feel inferior to any entity, but avoid hubris and arrogance. Treat entities with the common civility and courtesy you would show a fellow human being, even if they are not human.
9. Embrace the Dark Unknown, the Great Beyond. That is, love the fact that there is ever more to learn, ever more to do, ever more to achieve.

Although they are very Nazarene in character, I leave you with these two Latin stanzas from the Llibre Vermell de Montserrat, which I believe have tremendous value in encouraging us all to improve ourselves:

Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur,
Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur.
Ad mortem festinamus peccare desistamus.

(Life is short, and shortly it will end;
Death comes quickly and respects no one,
Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one.

Ni conversus fueris et sicut puer factus
Et vitam mutaveris in meliores actus,
Intrare non poteris regnum Dei beatus.
Ad mortem festinamus peccare desistamus.

You will not be able to enter, blessed, the Kingdom of God.

QFT.

I see parallels herein,with the Nine Virtues.

I live by them.

And I luvs me some Latin devotionals too. [thumbup] I am currently obssessing over the Cantigas,how did you know,lol? [yay]

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Brilliant advice right there. Thanks for posting it :)
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

firefly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by firefly »

great post case! i agree 100 percent!
"Enlightenment consist not in the seeing of luminous shapes and visions, but in making the darkness visible."

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

firefly wrote:great post case! i agree 100 percent!
Nice one [thumbup] [grin]

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by akimbomoss »

Nahemah wrote:
I am happy to help someone in trouble,if and whenever I am able.

But I 'd rather not play a part in leading them there by the noseif I can help it ,either.An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure in most cases,i find.

But there is certainly somthing to be said for riding the Lightning path.It can be exhilirating,but like most extreme sports,it can be mindfuckingly draining on the down swing,lol,but seriously.

For the most part I am cautious and restrained these days,age and experience triumphing over youthful impulsiveness somewhat.But sometimes I still like to get primal and play in the dirt,indulge in some high risk,high buzz activity,just for the Hel lof it,lol. [greensmile]
I think I've had enough of the high risk activity. Since then I've had to forget almost everything I thought I know and start over again. I feel very different and strange now. After all the craziness I've had to spend a lot of time figuring out what is real and what isn't. For example I had a demon in my bedroom. It is the ONLY spirit that I could actually see without trying even to this day. Stukov saw it without me even having to describe it. He saw a deer. It had the legs of a deer and a human upside a bit like a centaur. I remember at the time I felt really scared and felt like I was going to go completely psychotic and get commited. Luckily some people came with their astral bodies and managed to dislodge it. I think at one point I managed to laugh it away, banishing it.

I'm not sure where this demon came from but a book I was reading made me believe it was one of my guardians. I gave her my sexual energy (which I now know is something you never do to a spirit that's not a created servitor and even then need to destroy it eventually?). The book never said anything about NOT giving a guardian my sexual energy. I read on the internet that some people of eastern religion will give their sexual energy to their deity... and wella! I had been lead astray to believe that things would be fine.

Anyway I had what was coming to me. It made me realize where I was weak in life and to my amazement a teacher came along and enlightened me. There's just too many details to list them all here.

I guess I should leave on a high note. I ended up realizing that ceremonial/ritual magick ends with much higher success. Also for some strange reason the angels like me... I think they realize that I've had bad luck and I don't deserve it. I've been told by one of my teachers who came in their astral body that they were all standing back watching me and waiting to see what was going to happen. I've started doing rituals for the archangels and am having success. Some of the initial success was very painful as others and myself had done things to poison me. I had to undo that poison and am continuing to heal.

Evander
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Evander »

Amorte,
I will strongly recommend something:
- do not believe that money are worthless, physical world is not important and your body is but a shell.

Train your body and respect it, as an important part of your self, see the world as a place full of knowledge and learning possibilities and treat money as a mean to achieve your ends.

Every young occultist out there should, in my opinion, develop their bodies, respect science and learn useful things, and after reaching the point when their spells begin to work, focus on securing their own house and money.

Once you have your own place in this world secure, you can focus on practising any magic to your heart's desire - but if you need to waste 10 hours a day working in a burger restaurant or flipping papers in the office, your magical practice will suffer dramatically.

Regards,
Great things have small beginnings.

Zeon1985
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Zeon1985 »

I am no master of things magickal. I do not pretend to know how to bend and force the power of the cosmos to my will. Heck, I'm lucky if I can meditate without "My Little Pony" music streaming through my head. (Shush you, I have a 10 month old)

But I can say one thing with absolute certainty, and it's something that I have posted again and again, and probably will until people stop turning to magick to summon up a girlfriend and be able to successfully do it in 2 hours. (Not holding my breath)

Patience. An open mind. Study. PATIENCE.

Yes I said it twice. Patience is what, 90% of the time, makes or breaks an endevour. My first recommendation to anyone is inner meditation. It's fairly simple with practice, and, if nothing else, helps you clear your head and emotions.

I hope this post emerging from my limited knowledge, but bourne of common sense and my honest feelings on the subject helps those who need to be reminded.

Zeon
And when the eye of the storm arrives, the flock shall emerge and prepare, for though ultimate damnation await, they shall not give in to sorrow and despair, but look to the horizon with faith, perserverance, and determination.

Parvati
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Parvati »

Very good thread indeed but my advice to anyone who wants to be a better occultist is to read about all magickal practices of all varieties to become adept with whatever you want to acheive in your magick. The Internet and especially You Tube is a godsend to all those learners and people who are interesting in learning, for example Automatic Writing. As for inexperienced wannabee magisters, like Case mentioned, they only have themselves to blame for something like practial magick takes time and effort to learn and demonolgy like summoning a demon is not something to be taken lightly. Now this is true and I am not making this up, one young lad wanted to summon Lillith (who incidentally is the most DANGEROUS of all the demons and really should not be summoned) and what happened was something extraordinary for a novice. She did come to him and he was plaugued by nightmares, etc and it took someone experienced to return her back to her Astral Realm but that lad was a novice of roughly 18 yrs old who thought he was big and cool enough to do it.
Anyway with the Occult, you never stop learning anything so find out more and more things of various interest please. [thumbup]

ddionysius
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ddionysius »

Noted that some mentioned about about "fast" vs "slow" methods. Apart from depending on one's individual temperament, a major factor may also be whether one joins a school or group, or attempts to go out solo. Joining a reputable (& trustworthy) group can speed things along by the group's combined energy, and help a beginner from falling into known traps. Going solo is a good option for some though in terms of growth, especially once someone has a reasonable amount of experience under one's belt (in terms of years of practical experience in a few fields).
"Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem."

nickdamron
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by nickdamron »

You must keep in mind that someone can actually practice magic and not quite be an occultist. There are quite a few sorcerous, results-oriented types out there that couldn't care less about the study of occultism. Only in the broadest sense of the term would they be considered occultists. One can also be a die-hard occultist and never actually practice magic (the spells and summoning you mentioned). Someone like Manly P. Hall and a lot of Theosophists come to mind. Hall was a very deep occult thinker but to my knowledge he did not practice magic or sorcery and even seemed a bit opposed to it. ....

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

nickdamron wrote:You must keep in mind that someone can actually practice magic and not quite be an occultist. There are quite a few sorcerous, results-oriented types out there that couldn't care less about the study of occultism. Only in the broadest sense of the term would they be considered occultists. One can also be a die-hard occultist and never actually practice magic (the spells and summoning you mentioned). Someone like Manly P. Hall and a lot of Theosophists come to mind. Hall was a very deep occult thinker but to my knowledge he did not practice magic or sorcery and even seemed a bit opposed to it. ....
I guess this depends on one's point of view, but aren't you just splitting hairs? I can't see the relevance of the label.

Solving Ennui
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Solving Ennui »

I found my profoundest accomplishments to come before any actual occult study, now that I have become considerably more well read, I wonder at the wisdom of this path of "occultism". Knowledge is power, knowledge can also limit our natural gifts.

Return to “Beginners Info”