Evoking spirits- a simple way?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

szone
Forum Member
Forum Member

Evoking spirits- a simple way?

Post by szone »

Some newbie questions again.
Firstly, is there truly a simple way to evoke spirits, without candles, incense sticks, rituals etc.?

Secondly, is casting a circle mandatory? Some say spirits don't like circles. Also, some say spirits are unhappy with banishing rituals as well.

Thirdly, do I have to call out the spirit's name loudly, or is it alright if I call its name mentally? I'm asking this because if I do loud chanting, my neighbours would think I have gone mad, or doing something fishy.

Aliga
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Evoking spirits- a simple way?

Post by Aliga »

szone wrote:Some newbie questions again.
Firstly, is there truly a simple way to evoke spirits, without candles, incense sticks, rituals etc.?
The ritual and tools used in evocation - as with all magic - is there to help focus you. If you're not experienced with it, I would not suggest going without, but an experienced practitioner can typically go without some of the props, since they can mentally/astrally set up what those props are there to represent. So use as much of it as you're comfortable with.
szone wrote: Secondly, is casting a circle mandatory? Some say spirits don't like circles. Also, some say spirits are unhappy with banishing rituals as well.
"Casting a circle" helps to identify the space you're working in... I've hearts stories about people not using a circle in evocation, and the evoked entity "got loose" and wrecked havoc... So I would do that at least :P
szone wrote: Thirdly, do I have to call out the spirit's name loudly, or is it alright if I call its name mentally? I'm asking this because if I do loud chanting, my neighbours would think I have gone mad, or doing something fishy.
The reason for calling the name loudly is to call the creature "with intent," but if you feel you can do so without yelling, go for it. I typically speak in a normal volume, but "project" my voice.
A difference that makes no difference, is no difference.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Hail Eris!

szone
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by szone »

Aliga wrote:
szone wrote:Some newbie questions again.
The ritual and tools used in evocation - as with all magic - is there to help focus you. If you're not experienced with it, I would not suggest going without, but an experienced practitioner can typically go without some of the props, since they can mentally/astrally set up what those props are there to represent. So use as much of it as you're comfortable with.
szone wrote: Secondly, is casting a circle mandatory? Some say spirits don't like circles. Also, some say spirits are unhappy with banishing rituals as well.
"Casting a circle" helps to identify the space you're working in... I've hearts stories about people not using a circle in evocation, and the evoked entity "got loose" and wrecked havoc... So I would do that at least :P
szone wrote: Thirdly, do I have to call out the spirit's name loudly, or is it alright if I call its name mentally? I'm asking this because if I do loud chanting, my neighbours would think I have gone mad, or doing something fishy.
The reason for calling the name loudly is to call the creature "with intent," but if you feel you can do so without yelling, go for it. I typically speak in a normal volume, but "project" my voice.
That was very helpful, thanks a lot! One more thing I wanted to ask, how exactly does a spirit appear before a conjurer? How will I know spirit is there in front of me, and how do I interact with him? Does he actually talk to me?

Aliga
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Aliga »

szone wrote:That was very helpful, thanks a lot! One more thing I wanted to ask, how exactly does a spirit appear before a conjurer? How will I know spirit is there in front of me, and how do I interact with him? Does he actually talk to me?
All that really depends on how good your astral sight/sixth sense/psychic sense/whatever is... If you're just starting out, chances are good it'll just be impressions - ask a question and you'll get a "positive" or "negative" (or whatever) feeling. If you've practiced and trained your sixth sense, or are naturally talented with it, you might "hear" a voice in your head (it might sound like your own voice, but it doesn't necessarily mean its you) and/or get the impression that there is "something" in the room with you (kind of like how you can sometimes tell when someone is standing right behind you), and you might even get an image of it in your mind.

Supposedly if you're good enough you can get a full apparition to appear, but I haven't personally experienced that yet :)

Then again, that's just my experience with it; everyone is different, of course. Just keep your mind open when you get to it!
Hail Eris!

Khelric
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Khelric »

szone:

I have to politely disagree with the other post that says circles are only needed to help an evoker focus on their work and that when skilled to a certain degree, becomes unnecessary.

Circles depend entirely on what kind of evocation work you're engaging in. For example, in traditional spirit work, circles were often used in ancient Europe as far back as 300 B.C. by diviners using the spirits of the dead. These circles were formed from libations consisting of (some or all of these) wine, milk, honey, barley, wheat, eggs, fruits and sometimes blood around a small pit (sometimes the blood was put into the pit). These items were symbols of fertility or comfort and blood served to give the dead a measure of their corporeality in order to function within our plane effectively. The circle of these items around the pit purified it and made the pit a proper hole from which the dead could be called up from the underworld to serve their purpose, whether for prophecy or some other use commanded from the evoker.

Long story short, if these circles weren't used, the dead would not feel compelled, or be unable, to communicate with the living and would make the evocation impossible.

wazzup
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by wazzup »

I've never evoked spirits, the only connection I have with them is when I'm doing readings. I don't ask them to come, they just do, and it's usually pertinent to the person I'm reading for, and a response to a question they may or may not have asked.

I follow a family tradition, whereby the ground beneath my feet is sacred, so no circles need to be cast. Can I just say at this point, it was only recently I had a need to reach out to the wider Occult society as my daughter was threatened by some entity, and I had no knowledge of what I was dealing with, and asked for their help. So, I've only started reading up on Occult matters in the last few months. Some stuff I've read makes me chuckle, and other texts make me sit back and reflect.

My gran passed over in '72, so I've been practicing solitary now for four decades without any harm befalling me! In the long run, it's all down to the path you are following, and what you believe.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
When the world is in turmoil and confusion, keep smiling - CHAOS reigns - result!!

szone
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by szone »

Here is the method I have been following: With my eyes closed and seated cross-legged facing East, I visualise a white light surrounding me. Then I call upon the entity, praising him, mentally. After a while, a plasma cloud-like light starts forming before my eyes. At times, this light will be swirling. Could this be the entity I called upon? If I open my eyes, though, I see no such thing in front of me.

Khelric
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Khelric »

It's been said that a strong enough focus on connection alone can offer some results.

Initial working can result in anything that appeals to your senses. For instance, my mother was very close with her grandmother Rose for her entire life and especially before she finally passed away in the hospital. She knew the day her grandmother had passed because while thinking about her deeply, a strong scent of the perfume Rose always wore hung in the air.

Feelings of not being alone (such as the sensation when you know someone is sneaking up on you to surprise you), scents, even abstract inner dialogue has been said to be results of connection. Your vision is hard to discern, it may be success or it may be your strong desire to succeed that has evoked a vision. Either way, it has produced a result and that is cause enough for excitement and continued diligence!

One of the primary forms of communication with spirits or the dead is said to come from incubation (dreams). One is said to focus intently on an entity or person they're seeking as they fall asleep and that the object of concentration will appear to them in dreams. It's best to keep a journal with you so that you can always record your sleeping visions and keep them intact as well as possible. Perhaps things won't make sense at first, but after weeks your dreams may show you common links that prove cohesive to a more direct message.

The west is associated with spirit work too and the best time for work is said to be twilight as the sun dips just below the horizon and brings night in its wake. You may wish to include some of these aspects in your pre-existing practice. It's also said that jasmine incense can also be burned to enhance spirit work.

Good luck and remain diligent!

Aliga
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Aliga »

Khelric wrote:I have to politely disagree with the other post that says circles are only needed to help an evoker focus on their work and that when skilled to a certain degree, becomes unnecessary.

Long story short, if these circles weren't used, the dead would not feel compelled, or be unable, to communicate with the living and would make the evocation impossible.
I suppose it depends on the paradigm you're working in. Personally, I don't work with the spirits if the dead much, but I work with other types of spirits/entities, and I feel that as long as you can provide some way to compel the spirit to appear, it should work - not saying its the most effective or safest method, just that I think it would. Personally I don't do without some kind of circle in evocation, but I don't normally go crazy with it (I don't need a circle of blood/gold/copper/whatever, usually just 5 candles, or I'll just do a banishing and cleanse my space). Mostly I feel like a sufficiently experienced evoker can cast a circle with a thought (when they're working with something simple/safe), and probably could do it automatically (just by getting into the "summoning" mindset).

To each their own, though. I don't by any means claim to be an expert :)
Hail Eris!

szone
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by szone »

The white circle of light I visualise encircling me could work as a circle of protection?

Thanks, Khelric for dreamprogramming advice. I'm already trying that, and so far, only the name of the entity has appeared in my dreams. Hoping I will see more clues in subsequent dreams. :)

Return to “Beginners Info”