Beginning study of occult anthropology and geography

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

aegrisomnia
Forum Member
Forum Member

Beginning study of occult anthropology and geography

Post by aegrisomnia »

I have recently become quite fascinated by what may be very generally classified as the origin of the human race, and more specifically, by those geographical, cultural and other forces which shaped early man. I am a man of science by education and training, and as such, I recognize - as others surely must - that there must exist more comprehensive knowledge to satisfy philosophical curiosity, than modern scientific understanding provides.

To that end, I would like to further my understanding of occult topics which bear on the origin of man, and how man came to possess those faculties which distinguish him from the rest of creation (if, indeed, there be any such faculties), and whence man came to be in his modern condition. I have begun some study of Judaeo-Christian and scientific accounts, as well as select of those coming to us from Classical antiquity (e.g., those treating lost and mythical lands and the races which inhabited them).

I would very much appreciate any suggestions for additional important sources, or areas, or subjects to explore. Additionally, I would be glad - indeed, eager - to discuss my feelings and findings in this direction, either here or through more discreet channels. My interests are of a mostly academic nature (although I won't deny a certain excitement at the prospect of discovery) and would prefer to keep sources and discussions grounded by reference to recognized authorities or primary sources.

I look forward to learning a lot from this site and its members.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Beginning study of occult anthropology and geography

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Get yourself over to Sacred Texts, the address of which is extremely easy to find, and start reviewing historical texts. Sacred Texts is a fantastic resource for those people who want to study historical writings, and will give you hours of enjoyment, I'm sure.

As for discussing material, we're always open to a bit of discussion, so Im sure you will find people here who will be happy and willing to discuss texts and the like.

aegrisomnia
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by aegrisomnia »

Excellent suggestion! I will take this advice to heart.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

I'm a young'en, and unfortunately this discussion seems lacking in today's society, but it was once commonly debated as to which faculties humans have that the base animals do not. I've since learned that on top of opposable thumbs, which the animals we can, at least, commonly see don't seem to share, we have an altruism that many creatures do not. Dogs can save lives, but is it altruism or training? I think that there are animals and other things we can't see, but even among those we can, I think at least 1% of all creatures of any given race has this trait and can give of the self to save others.

What do you consider factual in the realm of mythos?

Return to “Beginners Info”