Where Do I Start??

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

ShelbytheMisfit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Where Do I Start??

Post by ShelbytheMisfit »

Hello all! I'm new here and would appreciate any help, knowledge, wisdom, or direction any of you would have to offer. I've been enamored with the occult for quite sometime, starting out with a brief interest in Wicca, then into Thelema, as well as exploring left hand path philosophies like Spiritual Satanism. The philosophy i've found myself most at home with is Thelema, but id consider myself open to pretty much anything. Anyhow i'm ready to start exploring the practice of magic and ritual to help better my life and gain a better understanding of the world around me. Only problem is I have no clue where to begin, what kind of magic to start learning about first, or what I need to do to prepare myself for this learning experience. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. [smile]

Azkhet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Where Do I Start??

Post by Azkhet »

If you're interested in Thelema, go look up your local OTO camp. Everyone is entitled to their initial Minerval degree, and that would get you a basic understanding as well as access to someone whom you may ask questions (and no, I'm not in the OTO, lol.) Understanding foundational magical concepts such as the Tree of Life, energy mechanics, pranayama, and astral mechanics is critical even if you don't practice Thelema (or another gritty Hermetic-style system) because so many and so much relates back to it, and if you understand these concepts yourself you will be able to turn a discerning eye towards the other books you read. Readily you will see that there are a lot of authors whose understanding is pretty superficial.

If I had to pick three foundational books out of my rear end, though, it would be Magic in Theory and Practice by Crowley, Magick of Aleister Crowley by Duquette and Astral Dynamics by Bruce. That should keep you entertained for a while.

ShelbytheMisfit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ShelbytheMisfit »

Funny thing I just started reading magick in theory and practice this morning! Thanks, I appreciate the reply. [thumbup]

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

Modern Magick by Donald Kraig
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

Azkhet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Azkhet »

Modern Magick is watered-down Golden Dawn, not Thelema. Really watered down.

Return to “Beginners Info”