The Occult 101

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

isis.auset5
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Occult 101

Post by isis.auset5 »

First off, I would like to start off this thread by saying that I know next to nothing when it comes to magick. I believe in the occult, and honestly I love the idea of it, but I've never actually done anything relating to that. That said, I have a few questions which may seem idiotic to most of you, but I just need you to remember that everybody starts somewhere.

1. What is magick?

2. What is Goetia?

3. What does being a neophyte mean? I've realized it's something like being a beginner ... what are the other 'titles'?

4. What exactly is Satanism? Do you just prefer Satan over God? Can you be Satanist but not religious? Do you pray to Satan?

5. What is chaos magick and how do you start practicing it? How do you even practice it?

6. What can you do with magic pertaining to demons/satan/evil (even though demons/satan aren't necessarily evil)?

7. Where can I find information about all the demons?

8. Who is Izabael and why is she so famous?

9. Is magick only of the mind, or can you actually see it?

10. Where do I start?

11. Oh, and what is Golden Dawn?

Sorry. Really.

Frater_NT

Re: The Occult 101

Post by Frater_NT »

That's a lot of questions, and google is your friend [wink2]

Durzl77
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Durzl77 »

going to try and give the best answers I can, and please keep in mind that I am a beginner as well and that these are just my opinions, most people differ in belief, especially when it comes to magic(k)

3. Being a neophyte means a beginner, if you mean in reference to your title on the right of your posts then it justs means you are new to the forum
4. There are two main branches of satanism, one branch sees power in yourself, but doesn't necessarily believe in satan as a deity, while the other sees him as the chief deity, and worships him
7. The lesser key of solomon is a good starting point, it's what most of goetia is centered on. (this version was recommended to me, and I also highly recommend it http://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/religi ... Goetia.pdf)
9. It really depends on the magick, magick is a bit of a broad term covering everything from yoga and meditation to summoning demons and creating elixirs to extend your life
10. Still trying to figure that one out myself, I've really just done a lot of research on specific things like goetia, read these forums a lot, and then gone from there. Don't try to perform magick until you understand it, because it's almost sure to only bring complications or discouragement.

Azkhet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Azkhet »

1. Change in accordance with Will.
2. It's a system of interacting with demons (not demons like Hollywood taught you about) in order to bring about change.
3. Neophyte, in this sense, means a newbie initiated into a religious or mystical order. It's a board title here. I don't know what the others are.
4. Classic LaVeyan Satanism is actually atheistic. Some take their magical practice in the direction of religious practice (magical practices and religious practice may resemble each other, but they're actually very different from each other) and decide to worship Satan, usually typifying Satan as sort of a Promethean character instead of what Hollywood taught you Satan is. Magicians don't pray at all in the way that you're using the term, although yes, it might look like praying to a third party.
5. Did you look through the chaos magic forum?
6. Whatever you want, including things that you'd do with angels (Enochian style or classic Christian) or gods from Africa, or whatever sort of entity you wish to deal with.
7. The Lesser Key of Solomon. There's as many versions of the Goetia as there are versions of "Louie, Louie" and most of them are quite shitty. Read the Illustrated Goetia by Crowley if you really want to learn about them. Ceccetelli's Crossed Keys is also quite fine, but it's not a book for newbs - he doesn't explain much because he expects you to come to the table as a competent magician experienced in evocation.
8. A dippy lust spirit, why?
9. The latter, depending on what you mean by "see it" - sorry, Harry Potter isn't real.
10. With anything non-Wiccan. I'd recommend learning some basic psychicism, too.
11. It's a magical order that specializes in a very potent but complicated form of Western ceremonial magic.

isis.auset5
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by isis.auset5 »

Thank you very much for all your answers!

Return to “Beginners Info”