Help with beginning tarot

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Romez
Forum Member
Forum Member

Help with beginning tarot

Post by Romez »

Hello,
I wanted to begin working with tarot, but I was wondering what is a good deck to start off with? I heard some people say that the waite deck is a good one to start off with, and that Thoth deck is better for more advanced work, is this true? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
thank you

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Help with beginning tarot

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

There isnt one deck thats particularly better than the others, you just need to do some research and pick one that speaks to you. I dont like the Waite deck, or the Thoth deck for that matter - I personally dont want a tarot deck thats linked in to the Golden Dawn or Aleister Crowley in any way, which is why I chose the Deviant Moon deck. Check out http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ and see if you can find one that stands out for you.

Romez
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Romez »

Hello,
Alright will do, thank you for the awesome link

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

Romez
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Romez »

Thank you very much for the awesome suggestion on the book

kiss_lamia
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by kiss_lamia »

Romez wrote:Hello,
I wanted to begin working with tarot, but I was wondering what is a good deck to start off with? I heard some people say that the waite deck is a good one to start off with, and that Thoth deck is better for more advanced work, is this true? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
thank you
hmm for your first deck i'd go to a place that has a varied selection and see what one you get drawn too basically your subconsious is picking it for you, usually helps you to connect to the deck you pick :)

ShubNiggurath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ShubNiggurath »

Hello :)

I would recommend that you buy your deck in an actual shop, so you can feel it.

btw
I am working with the Akron Tarot for several years now. ("Akron" is a swiss occultist - who also worked with H.R. Giger on the Baphomet Tarot)
I am fond of it because it contains two additional feministic (more female - sorry, I cannot think of the right word) cards (even if this diminishes the cabbalisitc reference of the major arcana)

hope you and the tarot will get along well.

best wishes
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

Gloria Steinem

Nepthys
Forum Member
Forum Member
Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Nepthys »

Also, there is only so much a book can teach you. I found it helpful when I was starting out to meditate on the individual cards. I also only worked with the Major Arcana to start out. I meditated on 0, the Fool, and worked my way up from there. Meditated each day on the meanings, the symbols, and the feelings I got from the cards. Once I was proficient with reading the Major Arcana, I meditated on the Swords and the progression from the Ace to the King. I mixed them into the Major Arcana and read both, and just did this with all the suits until I had the whole deck down. :)

Garuda
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Garuda »

Create fabric templates of a few layouts by covering the box your tarot cards (whichever you choose)comes in with tinfoil. Trace out the box on the fabric using sharpie marker onto preferably white fabric. This is to put the meaning of your cards into context when doing a reading. Don't get trapped into doing 3 cards readings all the time. Oh and write on the fabric what each position signifies next to it's place.

Then get some of that white or yellow masking tape and cut pieces that are not as wide as your cards and then cut that piece of tape in half length wise. Put your cut pieces across the bottom of each card(yes it's tedious) and write a basic one word definition of the cards on the tape. Get used to that for awhile before exploring the deeper meanings of the cards.

Here is a picture of one of mine with the cards laying in the traced out positions. This is before I put tape across the bottom but I do have pics of those too if you want to see them.

Romez
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Romez »

Hello,
Thank you very much both for the suggestions, I think I am going to do both of those, thank you again for all the awesome answers.

Return to “Beginners Info”