High School Dropout Occultists

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Tyho
Forum Member
Forum Member

High School Dropout Occultists

Post by Tyho »

Hi,

I have never been very good at school and had some drug issues in the past and all that lead me to drop out of high school at 16. I am now 27 and I work at pizza place for minimum wages but I am now free from any addiction, including tobbaco. ;) . I am currently considering returning to complete high school and get a GAD or something like that but it's not easy for me and I lack the motivation/confidence needed.

I always have been a self-taught person and I am more interested in alternative knowledge such as hidden secrets and archeology, magick, paranormal stuffs, UFOs ect rather than the typical, formal school teachings.

Which leads me to my question: Is there any famous occultists that are high school dropouts? Not that I want to be famous or anything I guess I am trying to relate to people of a similar path, situation than me.

If you are/have been in a similar situation please do share your story!

Thanks.

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: High School Dropout Occultists

Post by manofsands »

There is magick also in the mundane

unless it is the mundane one is trying to escape

it is hard to appreciate ones cage
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

there is no need to push the river... it will flow on its own

Tyho
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Tyho »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but I am not quite sure what you mean.

Milembarr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Milembarr »

Hey sorry to butt in . I'm kinda new at this myself. I'm starting to practice some elemental magick myself and many emotions are related to the elements(fire can be confidence and earth is mainly loyalty/steadfastness) many elements have negative effects/emotions related as well. It depends on how you perceive the world to see magick. If you follow elemental magick there is certain meditations and ritual done to convert the negative properties to positive ones (suggestion on an occoult route to find a drive to excel)

He means that your life views can determine your actions . You see the world as mundane and are trying to escape that but others might see things completely differently than you. An PhD college proffesor in physics or mechanics will see things at an atomic level whereas a builder will see structures. Both see the same thing but in different ways. Changing your view of the world by trying to get rid of some emotional baggage,through meditation or any other means could help you find that drive you are looking for.

Sorry about the rant,hope it helps somewhat in explain ing the previous post.

dreamshards8
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dreamshards8 »

The GED is pretty easily attainable. Some studying on your part would be helpful but the test is very basic. I really don't don't see how getting your GED will help you in your situation, unless you plan on furthering your education and going to college. When you tell a employer that you have graduated high school they are almost never going to ask to see your diploma. My father never completed high school but didn't let him effect his working career. We were never blessed, he never made a huge amount of money but more then minimum wage. I guess what I am trying to say is, try and found out what career you would be happy in and go for it. Don't make excuses for yourself, only you can change your reality for the better. Milembarr has a very good point: if you often meditate to convert negative states of mind holding you back into positive ones, you could very well see drastic changes in your life. Best of luck to you.

Tyho
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Tyho »

Thank you guys for your replies. It's very appreciated.

I guess I am trying to relate to people with a similar path than me. That's why I was wondering if you know about famous occultists that were high school dropout, that never had much formal education. I am self-taught myself, I learned English by reading books, I have a keen interest for science, history, paranormal and occult concepts all of which I learned by reading books and watching documentary.

Do you have any names? I know that Gerald Gardner, founder of Gardnerian Wicca and amateur anthropologist and archeologist never even went to school in his life. Anton LaVey dropped out of high school to work in a circus.

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

We all make mistakes, and I have done them too. I did go through high school, but I failed my faculty.

If I may, I can say that you're not content with development of your life circumstance, are you? I wonder because I see that you're trying to use this experience as a shield of some sorts, you're putting on a defensive behaviour.

Going through school system is considered fundamental achievement of a quality citizen. Is it really so?

I say, don't let schooling interfere with your education [wink]

Master Baphomet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Master Baphomet »

The whole "tune in, turn on, and drop out" philosophy of the counter-culture that was marketed to young adults in the 1960s readily embraced occultism and mysticism as an alternative path toward enlightenment - along with a lot of other things like psychoactive drug use, promiscuous sexual liberty and experimentation, and various leftist political ideologies that were likewise seen as potentially valid alternative paths toward enlightenment as well, which ultimately manifested itself in the self-indulgence and entitlement mentality of the "Me Generation" whose great accomplishment was transforming the clean, orderly, wholesome, Norman Rockwell-like society of 1940s and 1950s America, into the bewildering drug-induced, chaotic, turmoil of a world turned upside down where degeneracy is celebrated as a virtue and decency is seen as a vice, in the world that has transpired since the second half of the 1960s.
"If I beheld the sun when it shined, or the moon walking in brightness; and my heart hath been secretly enticed, or my mouth hath kissed my hand....I should deny that there is a God above.....neither have I suffered my mouth to sin."

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Do you have any names? I know that Gerald Gardner, founder of Gardnerian Wicca and amateur anthropologist and archeologist never even went to school in his life. Anton LaVey dropped out of high school to work in a circus.
I wouldn't consider either of those sterling examples of occultists, personally.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Master Baphomet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Rin wrote:
I wouldn't consider either of those sterling examples of occultists, personally.
Ironically, they were perhaps the two most influential ambassadors of the occult in history.
"If I beheld the sun when it shined, or the moon walking in brightness; and my heart hath been secretly enticed, or my mouth hath kissed my hand....I should deny that there is a God above.....neither have I suffered my mouth to sin."

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Master Baphomet wrote:
Rin wrote:
Ironically, they were perhaps the two most influential ambassadors of the occult in history.
If by 'ambassadors' you mean individuals who brought the occult into the public eye, perhaps (although I'd say Crowley belongs in there, despite my distaste for his occult work), but that just makes it even worse, that such terrible examples of "occultism" are what people have been exposed to and now think of when they hear the word.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Master Baphomet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Rin wrote:
If by 'ambassadors' you mean individuals who brought the occult into the public eye, perhaps (although I'd say Crowley belongs in there, despite my distaste for his occult work), but that just makes it even worse, that such terrible examples of "occultism" are what people have been exposed to and now think of when they hear the word.
By ambassadors I was thinking more along the lines of PR agents - Gardner and Levy did more to popularize the "occultesque" than any other individuals I can think of.

Crowley on the other hand really didn't serve to promote the occult so much as he did to give it a bad reputation - but then, of course, the media was really responsible for all of the above, and those who control the media have their own self-serving agendas.

Personally I would look to Arthur Edward Waite as a more shining example, but I believe that he attended St. Charles' College in London. Crowley was educated at the University of Cambridge.

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

Tyho wrote:Hi,

I have never been very good at school and had some drug issues in the past and all that lead me to drop out of high school at 16. I am now 27 and I work at pizza place for minimum wages but I am now free from any addiction, including tobbaco. ;) . I am currently considering returning to complete high school and get a GAD or something like that but it's not easy for me and I lack the motivation/confidence needed.

I always have been a self-taught person and I am more interested in alternative knowledge such as hidden secrets and archeology, magick, paranormal stuffs, UFOs ect rather than the typical, formal school teachings.

Which leads me to my question: Is there any famous occultists that are high school dropouts? Not that I want to be famous or anything I guess I am trying to relate to people of a similar path, situation than me.

If you are/have been in a similar situation please do share your story!

Thanks.
Well, life is different for everyone. I think the real question you are asking is whether you can be an accomplished occultist without a formal education. I would say yes, but this lies with you. If you are fearful, lazy and don't have discipline, you can hang it up. If you take shortcuts, you will cause great harm. If you go off half-cocked with a poor understanding, you will cause great harm. If you cause great harm, it will sooner or later come back to roost on your doorstep. You need to look into your heart and get to know yourself. Why do you want to explore the occult? Why don't you want to get a formal education? Who are you? These are fundamental questions that you need only share with yourself.

Tyho
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Tyho »

EternalReturn wrote:If I may, I can say that you're not content with development of your life circumstance, are you? I wonder because I see that you're trying to use this experience as a shield of some sorts, you're putting on a defensive behaviour.
I guess I am in period of my life where I am 'looking back' perhaps a bit too much. Now I have 27 years old and I do work hard to earn a living but I want to get some sens of accomplishment besides that. If not on a financial level, I believe it could be done on an intellectual level. I am just lacking confidence, and I do wonder if I am doing the right thing at this point. I've read about people that had similar path than me, such as H.P Lovecraft and Clark-Ashton Smith, both were living in poverty at some point and had a thirst for knowledge and learning and they did just that but not in a formal education system. Not that I want to be famous or anything like that, but they are inspirations for me. That's my situation at this point. A dropout earning minimal wages working more than 40hours/week. But I am learning a lot of stuff on my free time: philosophy, science, history, paranormal, esoteric and I now want to look at some occult stuffs too.

So, it's not so much a defensive shield but rather a lot of doubts and lack of confidence, that makes me seek for a confirmation in the hope that ''someone has been there before'' and still I am thirsty.
Master Baphomet wrote:Personally I would look to Arthur Edward Waite as a more shining example, but I believe that he attended St. Charles' College in London. Crowley was educated at the University of Cambridge.
I've read on Wikipedia that Arthur Edward Waite attended St. Charles's College at 13 years old. Was it not rather a private catholic high school at that time rather than a 16-19 as it is today?

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Tyho wrote:
EternalReturn wrote:If I may, I can say that you're not content with development of your life circumstance, are you? I wonder because I see that you're trying to use this experience as a shield of some sorts, you're putting on a defensive behaviour.
I guess I am in period of my life where I am 'looking back' perhaps a bit too much. Now I have 27 years old and I do work hard to earn a living but I want to get some sens of accomplishment besides that. If not on a financial level, I believe it could be done on an intellectual level. I am just lacking confidence, and I do wonder if I am doing the right thing at this point. I've read about people that had similar path than me, such as H.P Lovecraft and Clark-Ashton Smith, both were living in poverty at some point and had a thirst for knowledge and learning and they did just that but not in a formal education system. Not that I want to be famous or anything like that, but they are inspirations for me. That's my situation at this point. A dropout earning minimal wages working more than 40hours/week. But I am learning a lot of stuff on my free time: philosophy, science, history, paranormal, esoteric and I now want to look at some occult stuffs too.

So, it's not so much a defensive shield but rather a lot of doubts and lack of confidence, that makes me seek for a confirmation in the hope that ''someone has been there before'' and still I am thirsty.

I see, then you're much like me. But I'm a lot younger than you. And more hotheaded [crazy]

I found my passion, I set up a goal I will achieve and I'm trying to find the way how. With this, came joy, confidence, purpose, and clarity.

What are your skills? What do people say you excel at? What do your friends say about you? Family? Ask yourself, what do other people see, what you see that is best in you. When you've given some thought to it, you will see what you can do to make your life better. After that it is only a matter of correcting mistakes, vices, and all that you see as wrong.

That would be an advice from my experience. I wish you luck in your path, don't ever stop educating yourself [thumbup]

Tar_Ni
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Tar_Ni »

I find myself in the exact same situation, I dropped out of high school because of drugs issues and lack of interest in formal education.

Now I find myself at 35 with no diploma and a clerk job at minimum wages. It's not always easy but I managed to avoid poverty, though I live modestly. Sometimes I feel like I am not intelligent enough, that I should give up my occult studies altogether and do more mundane or conventional things like playing chess for exemple. You could call it lack of confidence, doubt, I am not quite sure myself. That maybe because I still have to fight this tendancy to compare myself with others, which more often than not turns out to be a source of utter disappointment.

But so far I keep going at it, exploring the world of the unknown, of the hidden.

Best of luck my friend.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Tar_Ni wrote:I find myself in the exact same situation, I dropped out of high school because of drugs issues and lack of interest in formal education.

Now I find myself at 35 with no diploma and a clerk job at minimum wages. It's not always easy but I managed to avoid poverty, though I live modestly. Sometimes I feel like I am not intelligent enough, that I should give up my occult studies altogether and do more mundane or conventional things like playing chess for exemple. You could call it lack of confidence, doubt, I am not quite sure myself. That maybe because I still have to fight this tendancy to compare myself with others, which more often than not turns out to be a source of utter disappointment.

But so far I keep going at it, exploring the world of the unknown, of the hidden.

Best of luck my friend.

There is nothing mundane about a game of chess.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

maldor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by maldor »

Get a reasonable knowledge of mathematics and sciences before venturing into occult topics or you'll more or less likely delude yourself into thinking one thing is more accurate when basic scientific knowledge can show you otherwise.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Maya The Generator »

Ahahahahhahahahahaha. [crazy] I don't have story about dropout known occultist but I have little one about dropout young chaote:

I didn't knew it is popular. I am dropout myself, drugs were little problem. But my decision was made pure on fact I didn't have any motivation and idea where to go and what to do. I prefered to start job. I though bout coming back to school for paper but right now this don't change a thing. [tongue]

I am happy I made that decision, I am scared of thinking what would happen if I lied to myself longer that "I will finish it sooner or later".
I think lot of people must go through harsh and bad decisions to take full grasp on their own inner power. [eg]
This decision made current me I am quiet proud of the path I taken. Maybe I wasted my potential and time/ maybe I destroyed my near future or disapointed my family but I made so many bad decisions in my life that it won't shake me.
I will walk this path coz it shown me some future, future that didn't exist in my conciousness before. [thumbup]

Every of my bad decisions cumulated and one day I just couldn't handle it. It was either that I will be destroyed under heavy pressure or...
It will be day you will be reborn with Hope. And It was. [yay]

Never give up on yourself, whatever you do. Just respect consequences and overcome them with relentless work. [cool]

Have fun and Praise Teh Sun \[T]/
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

I guess I'll share.

I dropped out of highschool when I was 16, in the beginning of the second half of my freshman year.
I originally dropped out because I was a piece of shit rebel kid who couldn't stand rules, to speak the reality of what so many people here have sugarcoated in their posts.
As I matured, I came to realize I didn't agree with how America taught their students, and it settled my decision to stay out of school for good.
When I turned 18, I got my GED, with absolutely 0 effort at all. Seriously. After two years of being out of school and with no prior testing, I passed the tests with a well-above-average score on most of the subjects.
This was all before I realized my path of occult workings.

Since then, I've done nothing but absorb knowledge in every way possible. I study and learn as much as I can about any subject I have the time to read about. The more knowledge I get, the more I crave learning in structure, rather than by topic-to-topic. I've even considered taking up some college courses for the simple fact that it will get me better knowledge (although it's pointless if I'm not going to be working in the field I'm studying. I'd like to just *go* to college without actually being enrolled, do the homework and stuff. Just so I can learn.)

As I always say, no information is bad information. And to quote something even better;
"Information never displeases me, Agent Carolina. It is ignorance that I find unforgivable." - The Director.

If you have the desire to resume schooling because you feel like you need it, make it a priority to do so. Otherwise, there's little point to it. If it doesn't benefit you or those you love, do not do it. It's as simple as that.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Frater J.S
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frater J.S »

One could say that Austin Spare was in the 'mundane' towards the end of his life. But that would be an interpretation of his circumstances rather than his paradigm.

maldor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by maldor »

Haelos -
(although it's pointless if I'm not going to be working in the field I'm studying. I'd like to just *go* to college without actually being enrolled, do the homework and stuff. Just so I can learn.)
That is nonsense!! Learning does not have to have anything to do with your job or finding a job. School systems are generally set up for this but learning is a gift of existing.

Learning for the sake of learning is being true to yourself and not merely adhering to the system you've been told you have to fit into. I study all kind of subjects and read different books both fictional and factual. I like to push myself and see how well I can improve in one area or another because it is valuable to know what you can do that you previously thought you couldn't.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

maldor wrote:Haelos -
(although it's pointless if I'm not going to be working in the field I'm studying. I'd like to just *go* to college without actually being enrolled, do the homework and stuff. Just so I can learn.)
That is nonsense!! Learning does not have to have anything to do with your job or finding a job. School systems are generally set up for this but learning is a gift of existing.

Learning for the sake of learning is being true to yourself and not merely adhering to the system you've been told you have to fit into. I study all kind of subjects and read different books both fictional and factual. I like to push myself and see how well I can improve in one area or another because it is valuable to know what you can do that you previously thought you couldn't.

You seem to have missed (or misinterpreted) literally everything else I typed.
The point is that schooling costs money, and to spend my time craving such structure of learning is pointless unless I reimburse myself in the end, which can only be done by making a career out f the schooling of your choice. It's a redundant paradox where those in college end up fucked at every turn. I choose not to make that my life.
This post had nothing to do with the subject of learning, itself.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

maldor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by maldor »

Not at all. You equate going to college with getting a job. I do not.

The thread is about learning. It is in the OP.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

I equate *paying* for school to getting a job. There is literally less than 0 reason to pay all that money to just fuck yourself on any return. Student loans never go away.
You don't comprehend what I write.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Return to “Beginners Info”