Recommendations for a constant beginner

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Solarus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Recommendations for a constant beginner

Post by Solarus »

I'm tired of being a constant beginner in spirituality. I've dabbled for years - tried a little astral projection, some energy work, evocation, meditation. I'm drawn daily to thinking about the grand questions - why are we here, what is reality, etc. and I'm constantly focused on growing and evolving as a person and spirit and want to use magick to help poke and prod reality.

But my god as soon as I start some new spiritual exercise, I give up for some reason. I think mentally I'm trapped in wanting to try things but not wanting to "waste time" on figuring out what works but I realize I'm wasting time in not trying anything at all. And I've dabbled for so long that I've lost the excitement to actually perform magick yet I yearn too so much at the same time!

I dunno, what practices would you practice hard for say 30 days if you were in my spot to kick start things? I have plenty of time to dedicate to this daily and have physical places to practice freely. The end result is that I want to astral project, speak to entities, be able to see and hear entities/realms, see auras. Would you recommend I focus on one thing hard for 30 days like opening up my 3rd eye because that would lay a foundation for everything else or should I do many different practices daily, etc. Not looking for a shortcut but am looking for a path where I can actually start down knowing that at least other's have had success. I know it's up to me and no one can really tell me how I should live my life but I don't have any friends or family into this stuff, there aren't any groups local to me that I can commune and practice with and I don't have a mentor so I'm just chatting here looking for a little help.

Solarus

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Recommendations for a constant beginner

Post by Frumens »

How much time are you willing to devote to daily practice?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Solarus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Solarus »

Hours. I have family and career but have plenty of time in the mornings before work and hours after work/family that I can dedicate.

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

I'm probably not the best person to answer this, as I'm not an occultist myself, but I can give some suggestions until a practitioner comes around.

Two hours a day is great for starting. They say that's the recommended minimum for doing Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon. I don't know if that book will give you the results you crave in 30 days, but it covers everything you mentioned and it's considered by some to be the best hermetic book for solitary practice written in the modern day. It's a serious book, not for dabblers. Its Amazon reviews are very inspirational. You can also look at some videos made by a person named Martin Faulks for more inspiration. I posted one of his videos a couple days ago on this forum in NLDSatanist's goodbye thread. It helped me belive in magic. Here on Occult Forum Rin and Shinichi are our resident Bardonists. You could send them private messages for more info.

I've heard of people who opened up their third eyes relatively quickly by working with tattwa cards. By quickly, I mean less than a month, but it varies from person to person. I recommend you at least learn how to banish (do you know what that is?) before opening your third eye, though. When people rip their astral sight open before it's ready they tend to regret it. There is an (expensive) book called Magical Tattwa Cards that you can buy on Amazon. If you look around you can also find some Golden Dawn public domain writings about working with tattwas (I think they spell it tattva).

There is an occultist here named MAZOHIR who knows a thing or two about developing astral sight. Very friendly guy. If you sent him a private message he may be able to help you out.

Robert Bruce has a public domain eBook called New Energy Ways. I'll recommend that since developing your energy body tends to indirectly improve your astral senses as well. It's been recommended by several occultists here. Bruce also has a commercial book called How to Astral Project in 90 Days. Three times longer than what you want, but hey.

Initiation into Hermetics review from Amazon:
On a personnal basis, this book opened the gates of all religions. I realised but more importantly understood the basis of all religions as a result. There is an emphasis on the Jewish Kaballah but only as a base. By understanding the true meaning of religion and the world beyond this book has a direct philosophical influence. By teaching the art of magic, this book opens up possibilities for the seeker. And, by providing practical steps for the development of one magic's powers on a physical, mental and psychic level, one develops into a new human beeing.
Magical Tattwa Cards review:
The part of the book that had the most dramatic effect on me was the section about opening your third eye. There are probably around eight visual exercises, to be done consecutively. They aren't difficult. I would actually do them while listening to old movies every evening (you can't watch the movie because these excercises train your vision). The good doctor says to start out doing them ten minutes at a time. I eventually went to twenty minutes at a time. After a few weeks of this I came in one evening, into a dimly lit room, looked at my eight-year-old daughter andguess what? Saw her aura. No joke. Some time after that I went to a lecture and not only saw the man's aura but the colors in it. Of course, you have to keep doing the exercises to make the change permanent. How can this be true, you're asking yourself? (skepticism is good). They work because the exercises gradually change the rods and cones inside your eyes and allow you to see an expanded spectrum of light.
Let's get one thing clear--for most of history these things have been secret. In most traditions you would have to hang around for years to learn this.
Last edited by Frumens on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

There might be something the paths you've tried have in common that causes you to seek change. Many paths can be restrictive to some. It's difficult to give another advice on such a matter, but it wouldn't hurt to get out in nature as much as you can, especially in winter. The shamanistic path of the native americans has few chains, which may be what turn you off to other paths at this point in your journey. Tom Brown's Field guides are great things to bring with you and to read as you enjoy nature. He has a book: "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking," which would be a great read for anyone on any path. Just walk around and let your spirit be free and open. Try to sense the presence of mother earth and be open to all that she may reveal.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

I suggest you enroll at the School, there is a course on basics starting soon - maybe within a few days. It maybe helpful for you to have the other students to discuss things with as you progress. Although it is a lengthy course, you will also have our administrator himself teaching this course.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I would say start a basic meditation routine and some sort of yogic/internal martial arts practice. Everything in spirituality flows from having a quiet, focused and controlled mind and a healthy and limber body. Even smaller cities will have meditation centers or buddhist temples running classes where you can learn basic meditation, and for the physical side of things (which is just as important - you'll never manage long periods of meditation without a limber body and good posture, a weak body will struggle with the energies involved in higher spiritual work and yogic/IMA practices are designed to perfect your posture in a manner that opens up and maximizes the flow of internal energy) you should easily be able to find a basic hatha yoga or taiji class, or if you're in a larger city, something less mainstream like baguazhang.
I dunno, what practices would you practice hard for say 30 days if you were in my spot to kick start things?
Not to be a buzzkill, but you've got it the wrong way around, imo. You shouldn't be looking for something to practice for hours every day for a short period - you'll never yield significant results that fast and you'll burn out on dedicating so much of your time to it. Spiritual development is like physical fitness in two important ways - the first is that you have to start small and build your way up. Just sitting down and meditating for 5 minutes every day is a good starting point. Once you get used to sitting still for long periods of time and turning your mind inwards, you'll gradually extend the amount of time you meditate to 10 minutes, then 20, then half an hour, and so on. Nobody successfully sits down and meditates for hours on their first try, they build up to it over years of practice and acclimatization.

The second is that more than an interest, or an art, or a skill, or just a way to access cool experiences, it's a lifestyle. You shouldn't be thinking in terms of 'if I do X amount of Y training, I'll attain Z cool result," but in terms of gradual, long term change to your lifestyle which incorporates practices which will naturally lead to spiritual and magical development. Spiritual development is the work of lifetimes, it's an unending path which will take you as far as you're willing to walk. But you have to make that first step and master the basics. Worrying about astral projection or clairvoyance when you can't even sit down and meditate every day for a few months is trying to run before you can even crawl, and all it will lead to is frustration.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

palindrom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by palindrom »

Solarus wrote:I'm tired of being a constant beginner in spirituality. I've dabbled for years - tried a little astral projection, some energy work, evocation, meditation. I'm drawn daily to thinking about the grand questions - why are we here, what is reality, etc. and I'm constantly focused on growing and evolving as a person and spirit and want to use magick to help poke and prod reality.

But my god as soon as I start some new spiritual exercise, I give up for some reason. I think mentally I'm trapped in wanting to try things but not wanting to "waste time" on figuring out what works but I realize I'm wasting time in not trying anything at all. And I've dabbled for so long that I've lost the excitement to actually perform magick yet I yearn too so much at the same time!

I dunno, what practices would you practice hard for say 30 days if you were in my spot to kick start things? I have plenty of time to dedicate to this daily and have physical places to practice freely. The end result is that I want to astral project, speak to entities, be able to see and hear entities/realms, see auras. Would you recommend I focus on one thing hard for 30 days like opening up my 3rd eye because that would lay a foundation for everything else or should I do many different practices daily, etc. Not looking for a shortcut but am looking for a path where I can actually start down knowing that at least other's have had success. I know it's up to me and no one can really tell me how I should live my life but I don't have any friends or family into this stuff, there aren't any groups local to me that I can commune and practice with and I don't have a mentor so I'm just chatting here looking for a little help.

Solarus
hi solarus : )

i'm not long into practising esoteric and magical exercices, two years, but i spend between two and three hours daily with practising. and it moves me, big time.
i recommend the exercises from franz bardon. what i have done so far works. but you have to do them for years, every day. at least, that's my experience.

if you want to invest 30 days, i would use them for a kind of retreat, no tv and such, but meditating, cleansing the body, read "fulfilling" books (whatever that is for you), a daily walk outside, perhaps more sport than usual...
i'm sure this would be a wonderful and rewarding thing to do.

have a good day : )

pali

ultimafool
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ultimafool »

Lots of good advice here.

Franz Bardon is great, but his system, as most do, require a lot of discipline which seems to be the issue you're dealing with. I for one second Rin and recommend martial arts training. I consider my martial arts training to be a fundamental backbone to all of my occult and magickal practice. It will teach you discipline, breathe and muscle control/body and chi awareness. It also comes in handy if you ever happen to need to defend yourself.

I'm currently studying tai chi and qi gong, but based on my experiences, I would start out with a more combat-oriented style. Taekwondo seems really popular, but most schools I know teach a "sportified" version of the art that is essentially boxing with your feet. Shaolin Kempo is great - really any style that spars a lot. Sparring is key. And choosing a school with a competent teacher is absolutely essential. Be wary of Johnny Badasses and McDojo managers.

I know a couple of people who are in a similar situation as you, Solarus. IMHO, that just means you've got tons of potential and will do many great things if you power through the malaise. So martial arts! [thumbup]

And karaoke Throbbing Gristle's Discipline! [crazy]

Solarus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Solarus »

Thanks everyone. Just hearing from you is nice - makes me feel like I'm not on my own and am not the only one moved by this stuff. I've enrolled in the Magick Shool here and I'm excited for it to begin. Thanks for all the other advice too.

Solarus

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

You are very welcome. Best wishes, and keep asking questions!
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

Solarus wrote:Thanks everyone. Just hearing from you is nice - makes me feel like I'm not on my own and am not the only one moved by this stuff. I've enrolled in the Magick Shool here and I'm excited for it to begin. Thanks for all the other advice too.

Solarus
You're also welcome to sign up for my course on Post-Chaos Modern Demonology at the School, while you go through all the things everyone here has suggested for you. Magick has tons of paths to go through, try to find what you fancy the most.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Solarus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Solarus »

cyberdemon wrote:
Solarus wrote:Thanks everyone. Just hearing from you is nice - makes me feel like I'm not on my own and am not the only one moved by this stuff. I've enrolled in the Magick Shool here and I'm excited for it to begin. Thanks for all the other advice too.

Solarus
You're also welcome to sign up for my course on Post-Chaos Modern Demonology at the School, while you go through all the things everyone here has suggested for you. Magick has tons of paths to go through, try to find what you fancy the most.
Thanks cyberdemon. I applied as a student of the School yesterday but didn't realize I had to apply for the individual classes so thank you for the heads up. I just applied for "The disciplines of Magickal Trance" and "Post-Chaos Modern Demonology". These both look great and nothing that I've "dabbled" with before so they're fresh and exciting to me. Looking forward to them.

Solarus

Return to “Beginners Info”