Modern Magick by Donald Kraig

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Modern Magick by Donald Kraig

Post by Draco20 »

Hi,

I am beginning into practical magick, and after looking for a starter book to teach me some rituals to exercise, I found this one which looks very interesting for it is basically a course of magick filled with exercises, rituals and techniques, a step-by-step approach that seems very accessible. I am not familiar with Donald Kraig but after searching online he appears to me as an experienced occultist with a good reputation.

Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons In The High Magickal Arts by Donald Michael Kraig (New Edition)

Link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/673388.Modern_Magick

So, before making this purchase, I wanted to get some opinions on it. Are there people here who used this book as a way to improve? What would be your feedbacks?

Thanks.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Modern Magick by Donald Kraig

Post by Rin »

If you're specifically interested in the ritualized magic of the Golden Dawn tradition, then I'd say it's a good book for a practical introduction to that system.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

Golden Dawn's methodology is, yes, structured, but it is still nearing "organized religion". It'll be best you study it - Lesser Invocation Rituals of the Pentagram and Lesser Banishing Rituals of the Pentagram in particular - but not take them as the "only" thing that would/could work.

Remember, if you're truly going for "Modern" then you'll want to study a LOT of paradigms and venture into Chaos Magick rather than sticking to just one paradigm.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

I don't care what tradition you are from. It's worth reading the book anyway.
Read it, and then either follow the exercises or modify them to fit your tradition and you'll have a really good base to stand on.

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Draco20 »

Thanks for your replies.

To be honest at this point I just want to try something. I've read a few books on the theoritical side of magick and it's different approaches (paradigm) and while it's very interesting it seems to only confuses me further as to where and how should I begin to practice.

This book by Donald Kraig is structured like a textbook for a 1-year magickal course which I find quite appealing. The noob that I am can be directed progressively into practicing effectively, one chapter - one lesson at a time.

BTW, have you any suggestions for a similar book for beginner/intermediary students? I am curious.

Vovi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vovi »

I had a reply for this, however I decided to leave this forum instead. Good luck on your path.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

samus wrote:Thanks for your replies.

To be honest at this point I just want to try something. I've read a few books on the theoritical side of magick and it's different approaches (paradigm) and while it's very interesting it seems to only confuses me further as to where and how should I begin to practice.

This book by Donald Kraig is structured like a textbook for a 1-year magickal course which I find quite appealing. The noob that I am can be directed progressively into practicing effectively, one chapter - one lesson at a time.

BTW, have you any suggestions for a similar book for beginner/intermediary students? I am curious.

The best two books I can recommend on practice for newer practitioners are "Liber Null & Psychonaut" by Peter Carroll, and "Initiation into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon. Both are two completely different styles of practice, but can, and often must, be used hand-in-hand.
Some will disagree with me on Carroll's books being a good reference, but I find at least the two composite books I mentioned of worthy note.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

samus wrote:Thanks for your replies.

It's the easiest one year course out there.

When you are done with it you can get libernull since it's an amazing book that is very easy to understand, or go with 'initiations into the hermetic' that is a bit more complex.
You also have Israel Regardie 1 year manual and Dion Fortune's The Training and Work of an Initiate.

But my personal favorite right now to follow up modern magick is phillip coppers basic magi and basic sigil. These two books are very easy to understand and both builds upon and challenge Donald Kraig.

DoctorDopamine
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DoctorDopamine »

I've read that book at least twice, and studied most of it for a year. It was also my first introduction into magick, and I have to say that I like it a lot, but it is not without its flaws. Particularily, I love Kraig's tarot spreads and other divination chapters. I'd say it's worth a shot, and besides, it is quite easy to read.

D.D.
As if.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

If you're going to go with Kraig I'd also recommend either taking up meditation classes, Liber MMM or the first chapter of IIH (even if you don't intend to go further with it, although ofc. I recommend you do, and in fact feel that Modern Magick and IIH complement eachother very well), as as far as I remember, Kraig gives little - no instruction on meditation and mental discipline.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Draco20 »

Thank you very much for your insights. I will probably purchase Kraig's book eventually.

I say eventually because I had a change of plan. I managed to get my hands on a treaty of magic.

Traité Méthodique De Magie Pratique by Papus (Dr Gérard Encausse)

If I translate in english: Methodological Treaty Of Practical Magic. Papus is a famous French occultist of the 1800-1900 era who took Eliphas Levis as a master for thinking. He was a member of the Hermetic Brotherhood Of Light and The Hermetic Order Of The Golden Dawn as well as the creator of the Martinist Order, which is still alive today. His work on magic remain to this day a classic of french occultism. (Yes, this is my first language).

I borrowed it for the time I need with it so I shall be able to get through it all in it's intergrity. This is a huge book covering the theoritical and practical sides of (I think) hermetic magic so it should keep me busy for a while.

For more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9rard_Encausse

Return to “Beginners Info”