Introduction to candle magick?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Avidan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Introduction to candle magick?

Post by Avidan »

I've heard about candle magick for a long time, but never tried it. Any advice?

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Introduction to candle magick?

Post by Sypheara »

Candle magick is simple but effective. You have several variables to control when doing candle magick, so these are definitely crash course suggestions.

1.) Colour

Colour is very important in candle magick. You want the colour of the candle to match the intent of the work. Passion, either love or anger, is best represented by red. Money matters Green, Black is good for achieving gnosis or saturnian malefica, white for healing and for general use if others arn' available as its the most malleable to give some examples.

2.) Sigils on Candle

Candle Magick is vastly improved if using a pin, or combustible oil, a sigil representing the intent of the working is carved into / smeared onto its surface. When giving candles as offering to Hecate, all are marked with her sigil. Locate this on the best surface area where possible. Think practical in this regard.

3.) Oils

You can use essential oils of Patchouli, Sandalwood, etc to coat candles. These should be selected so that the plant used is sympathetic to the work. This can be found usually quite quickly browsing the internet, as well as a decent place to source them from. Nothing special necessary - dont be afraid to be quite liberal in use with these.

4.) Candlestands and 'Seating Sigils'

This is one usually more of my own making. I have three special candleholders that are consecrated, which stand atop three sigils. These sigils have been drawn onto paper infused with coffee, and activated by using alcohol spat from the mouth, passed through Incense. and then activated with with my own blood. When combined with the actual full preparation of the candles, it lends itself very powerfully to either rite. As such, I can choose which of the three major spirits to ask help from, and then burn the specific candle for the working atop their fully activated sigil.

The above should be a good starting point for you to get creative. It can be simple or as in depth as mentioned above. Candle magick is quite beginner friendly - the fire from my experience helps feed the work itself as long as the intent is clear.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Ever make a wish and blow out the candles on your birthday cake?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Sypheara has given some good information.

The key elements are focus and intent. Visualise your goal as pointedly as possible. If there are relevant emotions, try to bring these to the surface and allow the spell to feed off them. For example, if you are casting for money, imagine what it feels like when you get paid and suddenly have a bunch of money to spare.

It can be simple, like RoseRed mentioned, or more complicated. Have some fun with it and try different things. I like to dress the candle to make a connection with whatever my goal is. I performed a candle spell for a friend of mine, so I wrapped a necklace he had given me around the candle to form a connection and let it stay there while the candle burned.

You can utilise sigils with candle magic in the manner of the chaos magicians/Austin Spare. Draw a sigil, or even just a written statement of intent, on paper and burn this in the candle flame.

You can anoint your candle with oils, like Sypheara mentioned, or sprinkle some sympathetic herbs around the wick.

Get creative, try different things and see how you go. :)

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

There are many good books on the subject from publishers like Llewellyn.

findingtruth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by findingtruth »

I was just going through several topics on sigil and candle magic and a lot of good books were mentioned but at the moment I'm in a bit of a financial pinch.

That said, I have a couple questions:

Now that the moon is waxing, will I still be able to effectively charge my materials?

In regards to sigils (or runes) which ones work best for attracting financial stability/monetary gain?

I have several candles, do I need to let them all burn down or is it fine if I burn my written intent and blow out the flame?

As soon as I'm on my financial feet again I really want to get some books further detailing all this and I appreciate any answers you guys can give me as I don't trust what many sites have to say.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

If you're currently strapped for cash you can find good books on torrent sites, then when you've got money, buy the actual books to balance out your karma for being naughty [devil]

If you look at some of my recent posts you'll find my recommendation for an inexpensive candle magic e-book (£9.95 in the UK) I won't post the link again as it'll look too much like advertising.

RaineAshford
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RaineAshford »

You can use colours for these purposes(and others, these are the ones I know)

Black: Initiation into a Coven or Cult or Self Initiation for Some Self Promise/Rite
Red: Demon summoning.
White: Angel Summoning/Rituals
Purple: Spirit/Ghost summoning, channeling
Blue: Protection
Green: A Good Future, Alignments
Yellow: To extend life on this physical plane

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Yay! Candle magick is one of my specialties and favorite areas of practice. It's quite easy to get the hang of even for beginners, it allows a lot of space to improvise and personalize your work, and gets VERY good results if done correctly. Sypheara's post is solid as per usual. All you really need is a candle in the appropriate color, something like a nail to inscribe your intent with, and the appropriate oil to dress it with—even olive oil works in a pinch, especially for cleansing or healing work. Carve your intention, dress the candle (upward for attraction or downward for banishing), and place your folded written petition underneath. Then light your candle and start working it. Speak to it, cast your spells and incantations, throw your intent into the flame etc. It helps if you are already able to put yourself in a state of magickal trance or gnosis, but even newbies can get results if they work the candle with sufficient focus and intensity. Either way if you did it right you should feel a trance-like "high" at the end; ground yourself appropriately. You might also work the candle for a period of time each day (such as the appropriate planetary hour for your work) over several days. If the work is feasible, expect fast results.

After you have some practice, start refining your magick. You can use botanica candles in the shape of your intent (I've had especially great results using skull candles to influence the thoughts of others). You can also get more complex with your rituals and add herbs, oils, alcohol or honey, pins, body parts like hair or nail clippings or other ingredients. For instance with skull candle work I'll load a petition paper with appropriate ingredients, roll it up tightly, and then melt a hole in the base of the skull (right into the cerebellum) with a soldering iron, insert the petition and seal the hole over to symbolically "implant" my influence into my target's subconscious. You can simplify or add complexity to your rituals and experiment with results over time. I see candle magick as a beautiful art form that allows for endless improvisation.

As for moon phases - the waxing moon is best for drawing things in, waning moon for pushing things away, new moon or void-of-course for hexing and unhexing, and full moon for when you really want to blast holes in the fabric of reality with your sorcery [thumbup]

If you are interested in working in a more hoodoo-based style, "The Master Book of Candle Burning" by Henri Gamache is a great resource. It's an older book but very easy to find online (or just PM me!)
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

And if you're crafty you start making your own. I love Crafting. I just made a beautiful blend for changing job conditions. I have just enough left to make a couple.More.headlights.

findingtruth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by findingtruth »

the_spiral, That was some great info, thanks :) That's a really awesome way to influence others thoughts, I was literally just wondering the purpose of skull shaped materials like gems and candles. I feel really drawn to candle magic, it has a certain elegance to it. I can't keep a meditation routine very well but I think I'll wait to do the spell until the waxing moon starts which will give me time to build some focus!

RoseRed, I would absolutely looooovveee to make my own candles and oils and, well, everything haha I'm very creative and having a practical use for that will really help motivate me. Now I just need this spell to work so I can get money for supplies!

Thanks for everyone's replies! It made me much more confident and excited about this.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Tealights, not headlights. AAARRRGGGHHHHH! autocorrect.

Return to “Beginners Info”