A few questions from a complete beginner.

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

aratliff1207
Forum Member
Forum Member

A few questions from a complete beginner.

Post by aratliff1207 »

Ok so I really do not know where to start, or what exactly to get into. I have goals but yet I'm not exactly sure how to explain them without sounding foolish because I am so new to this. I never had the chance to research anything regarding occultism in the past and I now do and am really excited and ambitious about it yet I have no idea where to begin or even what books to buy. I want to become very knowledgeable but I need to know where to start to help me be able to branch out so that I may become successful in practice. Thanks ahead of time, help is much appreciated!

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: A few questions from a complete beginner.

Post by Maya The Generator »

Start with some form of meditation in motion or static. It will help clear your mind and relax your body. Now you propably read some things that inspired you. Search in that and try to find system that interest/resonate with ya. Do not be scared of choosing wrongly or something like that, you need to start from somewhere. After some time gathering knowledge you will have enough to get some perspective on topic. Try to not stop meditations and care about your body. To get effect in this field you will need to practice regularly and it helps when you make Journal or something like that to note your achivements, try to describe them extensively.

I am no teacher but there are a lot of people that will surely will help ya choosin some proper books or serve you some raw knowledge.

Praise Teh Sun [yay]
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

chris3
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chris3 »

Since you wanted to know where to begin I will provide a book that will get you started. I suggest you do the practices in Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon. After having successfully completed all the practices you can choose any magick tradition you would like. The book has many meditations and daily practices which you have to apply to your way of living. In doing so and completing all the practices in the book you will have ulocked your psychic senses. Making you able to see the astral and other things which were always there you just didn't know they were. You will also travel to worlds inaccessible to the untrained mind. Those and similar practices are described in the last part of initiation into hermetics. I practice the Golden Dawn tradition of magick it is largely based on the Kabbalah the mystical system of Israel and greco egyptian magick. I can provide books for this tradition if you would like. But since you said you wanted to know where to begin I respected your free will not to know about other books or traditions. In my experience you do not need to buy any books they can mostly be found on the internet for free. But if you prefer to have a physical copy than you can buy the book. I hope this helped answer all your questions.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

This is the standard recommendation.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Magick-Twe ... 0738715786

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

aratliff1207 wrote:Ok so I really do not know where to start, or what exactly to get into. I have goals but yet I'm not exactly sure how to explain them without sounding foolish because I am so new to this. I never had the chance to research anything regarding occultism in the past and I now do and am really excited and ambitious about it yet I have no idea where to begin or even what books to buy. I want to become very knowledgeable but I need to know where to start to help me be able to branch out so that I may become successful in practice. Thanks ahead of time, help is much appreciated!
I wrote this neat little thing called Fundamental Development that several people have liked. [gz] There's a PDF posted later on in the thread, if you prefer to read that way. I wrote it specifically to serve the purpose of developing basic, fundamental skills that can then be applied to any tradition or school of thought that you wish to pursue.

~:Shin:~

Return to “Beginners Info”